Beau Wilkes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Beau Wilkes

Con Gorozidis wrote: Wont be a regular in side but will play a few games.
Might kick 20-30 for season if we are lucky and another 30 odd at Sandy.
Once kosi hangs them up - could end up a permanent FF in the seniors.
Well if he kicks 20-30 goals in only a few games this year, I will be wondering why he hasn't played for the whole year, averaging 5-10 goals per game… :shock:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

haha true dat.
10-12 games. 20-25 goals.
sandy 10-12 games. 30 goals. 50 for season.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Will be interesting to see how he goes in the NAB cup as I think that will go a long way to determining if hew plays much during the H & A games.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Is he a good set shot for goal ?

If not just play him in defence

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Forget that last post, just looked up his stats from this year

133 marks, 42 goals 14 behinds

Must of either been good at taking marks close to goal, or is a good set shot

Kicking at 75% is good at any level

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

he needs to pump some serious iron and get super strong to play fwd in the afl.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:he needs to pump some serious iron and get super strong to play fwd in the afl.

So where does Kosi play?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:he needs to pump some serious iron and get super strong to play fwd in the afl.

So where does Kosi play?
will take wilkes 6 months of pumping iron to get the required level! so no need to worry about that yet.

i see kosi a rotating player - bench/ruck and occassional fwd.
the days of kosi as a permanent fwd are long gone. lets the defence run it out too easily.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So where does Kosi play?
will take wilkes 6 months of pumping iron to get the required level! so no need to worry about that yet.

i see kosi a rotating player - bench/ruck and occassional fwd.
the days of kosi as a permanent fwd are long gone. lets the defence run it out too easily.

And the days of big men being on the bench for very long at all finished last year. He will play mainly forward or not at all. Wilkes should play FB or not at all.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:the days of kosi as a permanent fwd are long gone. lets the defence run it out too easily.

And the days of big men being on the bench for very long at all finished last year. He will play mainly forward or not at all. Wilkes should play FB or not at all.[/quote]

why cant wilkes play ff?
as far as im concerned everyone has a clean slate and starts even. we can base selection on nab cup and prqaccy match form.
noone "owns" a position before the season starts - and kosi fits in to the category with everyon else.
depends on kosi (and stanleys) form. if kosi and stanley are in form - then wilkes will not play - and will play ff at sandy.
BUT I agree - if Simpkin is no good then Wilkes comes in as FB.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Watters seems to be making more and more noise about playing three talls. That would open the door for either Stanley or Wilkes to play forward. I don't think it's wise to go in that tall, but maybe Watters thinks Kos, Roo and Stanley can be Brown, Cloke and Dawes. I wonder if we're going to try and rotate as much as Collingwood did through the bench and the forward line.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
winmar07

saintsRrising wrote:
Sobraz wrote:He's been at the level before and couldnt cut it... ...
I thought it was more that he did ok, but that Glass was better.....

We have no Glass.
His Glass coud be half full or half empty

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:the days of kosi as a permanent fwd are long gone. lets the defence run it out too easily.

And the days of big men being on the bench for very long at all finished last year. He will play mainly forward or not at all. Wilkes should play FB or not at all.
why cant wilkes play ff?
as far as im concerned everyone has a clean slate and starts even. we can base selection on nab cup and prqaccy match form.
noone "owns" a position before the season starts - and kosi fits in to the category with everyon else.
depends on kosi (and stanleys) form. if kosi and stanley are in form - then wilkes will not play - and will play ff at sandy.
BUT I agree - if Simpkin is no good then Wilkes comes in as FB.[/quote]

Any chance of Zac playing FF at Freo this season?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ace
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Any chance of Zac playing FF at Freo this season?
Zac may get selected and take the field but he will never "play".

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
PJ
SS Life Member

I think the days of any one player playing one position are well and truely gone. Wilkes could well be asked to play FF, FB and in the ruck in one game.

Kosi is likely to get a few roles.

The question ppl should probably be asking is how many roles can a player cover?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Beau was at west coast in their good era. They seemed to have a never ending list of talented talls, losing Judd and Cousins and injuries to the rest of their star mids left them struggling. He was swept out the door along with plenty of others while they restructured. I can see him stepping in for an impact and with few tall for back up he should get a chance.

Rhys, Simpkin, Ferguson and Archer are all developing and could be anything while Blake is ageing. He can probably see the fleeting opportunity that has come his way and would want to grab it. Nothing like having your elbow in a sewer to make running laps seem enjoyable.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think the days of any one player playing one position are well and truely gone. Wilkes could well be asked to play FF, FB and in the ruck in one game.

The question ppl should probably be asking is how many roles can a player cover?
I'm not saying you are entirley wrong but the idea that a coach throws players around like that is a myth especially with game plans, structures and set ups etc...and it usually doesn't work.

Lyon's moves to get us back into the 2010 GF were pretty good but that is the exception rather than the norm.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: How do you know he didn't do enough?

His training
His recovery

How do you know he didn't do enough? Because he was an average player the 2 hrs you got to see him?

A lot of average players works hard. Sometimes harder. But how the hell are we supposed to know.
I know he didn't do enough by the fact he is now playing in the Geelong under comps not in the AFL .. I know he didn't do enough because he couldn't cement his place in the team I know he didn't do enough because he didn't dominate in the VFL and lastly I know he didn't do enough because after he was delisted no other club bothered to give him a third shot ... Beau on the other hand has been working his butt off inn the WAFL since his delisting and is not the kind of bloke to let his golden chance be wasted

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:He's been at the level before and couldnt cut it... Sure he had a decent season at a seconds level, but he'd want to have come a long way to be a certain and constant stater for us...
andy krakouer did. went from afl to prison to wafl to afl again, and then won mark of the year and kicked three goals in a grand final.

someone like michael barlow or ed curnow did pretty well after failing first time around then going well at seconds level. you could even consider a danny stanley or daniel harris at gold coast to be in a similar category, though not exactly stars.

plenty of players improve after the age of 20, it's just that not all of them get a second chance.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Watters seems to be making more and more noise about playing three talls. .
Correct...Watters has been saying since he arrived that he would like 3 tall marking targets up forward.

I think he is very keen for Stanley to step up...

But yes Wilkes we be in the mix too.

Roo is 100% certain.

Kosi, Stanley and Wilkes are all in the mix.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Sick Nal Danto wrote:Forget that last post, just looked up his stats from this year

133 marks, 42 goals 14 behinds

Must of either been good at taking marks close to goal, or is a good set shot

Kicking at 75% is good at any level
Given he played half the year at full back where players are not really encouraged to go for their marks, Beau's stats are pretty impressive. When you align them with the SAINTS 2011 stats only Reiwoldt and Fisher took more marks and only Milne kicked more goals.

I doubt any of our VFL players would match that output as well.

If he is competing with Stanley or Kosi he woul have it all them stats wise - but lets see how he goes in the big league again !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
How do you know he didn't do enough?

His training
His recovery

How do you know he didn't do enough? Because he was an average player the 2 hrs you got to see him?

A lot of average players works hard. Sometimes harder. But how the hell are we supposed to know.
He didn't work hard enough on the ground IMO... for a guy playing for his future, he lacked the desperation in his effort. Frequently praised in winning teams and criticised in losing ones... suggested that ppl were blind to his actual performances (which were average) and he got caught up in the team's performance.
Waited too much for play to come for him... which is great if you're good enough to create often enough ala Milne but he wasn't

PJ
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
PJ wrote:I think the days of any one player playing one position are well and truely gone. Wilkes could well be asked to play FF, FB and in the ruck in one game.

I'm not saying you are entirley wrong but the idea that a coach throws players around like that is a myth especially with game plans, structures and set ups etc...and it usually doesn't work.

Lyon's moves to get us back into the 2010 GF were pretty good but that is the exception rather than the norm.
I don't think that coaches aim to change their structure by throwing players around but all need flexibility. Playing between FF and ruck is quite plausible and when injuries occur, as they always do, you need to reshuffle. I don't think it's as simple as if one player gets taken out then he is replaced by one of the bench. Usually several positions get reorganised.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
defacto
Club Player

facts are gamble couldnt hold down FF, wasnt big enough for contested football, couldnt lead smart enough. didnt have the tank or effort required for CHF and didnt have the strength.

which really left him at HF or HB. HF didnt apply the defencive side of his game early on and wasnt quick enough. HB who knows but there were just so many better options than him. had to go. was a good punt to make, just didnt work out.

defacto
Club Player

on wilkes our best bet is to play him off HF or FF, thats where he ran into some form with claremont. he spent some time in the backline at wce and early on at claremont but really didnt go anywhere. he can give us a stop gap solution at FB but its not a long term option, but having said that maybe he'll work out there now after maturing a bit.

if were using wilkes in the ruck then were in a shitload of bother. we'd play stanley there before him (and kozi, blake before that), and stanley really is still developing, although hes now at a age where he should be finding some consistency in the vfl and pushing for selection.