Riewoldt's output in 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StNoodles
Club Player

Riewoldt's output in 2012

How do you think he'll perform in 2012?

We've seen him run defenders into the ground over the years — is he still capable of this, or is his knee going to restrict him?

Will the new coach and adjusted game-plan benefit him? If yes, how so?

Interested to hear your views, as many seem to have written him off already.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt's output in 2012

well he said he is pain free for the first time in a long time

im tipping he will be back to what he was a few years ago

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

matrix wrote:well he said he is pain free for the first time in a long time

im tipping he will be back to what he was a few years ago
I sure hope you're right. Coz that alone added to last year's (team) output would put us into another grannie (at worst) I reckon.
Last edited by Dave McNamara on Wed 08 Feb 2012 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
iceman
Club Player

I find it interesting, I saw a photo of him from mid season 2009 the other day. He looked incredibly heavier than what he was last season. We know he is an ultra professional, I tend to think that after his hamstring in 2010 he was hell bent of getting into peak condition for finals and getting his tank back I reckon he shed a few kg's in the process and kept them off last season. I think his running capacity for someone his size will still be unrivaled.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him have an outstanding season and return to best form. His body might be the best it's been for 2-3 years and i reckon his professionalism and drive will ensure he turns it around

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:I find it interesting, I saw a photo of him from mid season 2009 the other day. He looked incredibly heavier than what he was last season. We know he is an ultra professional, I tend to think that after his hamstring in 2010 he was hell bent of getting into peak condition for finals and getting his tank back I reckon he shed a few kg's in the process and kept them off last season. I think his running capacity for someone his size will still be unrivaled.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him have an outstanding season and return to best form. His body might be the best it's been for 2-3 years and i reckon his professionalism and drive will ensure he turns it around
Agree Iceman. It's a fine line. He was bumped out of the contest too easily too many times last year. I hope he can find the right body shape to continually run others off their feet, but at the same time be stong at the contest. Easier said than done. I think the planets will re align for Roo this year and he will be back to his dominent best.

He is going to be back to his best. Seriously the guy has had serious injuries to knees, hamstrings and we wonder why he didnt dominate?? FFS even with all that he manage a couple of BOGs and still put out very decent efforts, better than most CHFs in the game. The guy is a legend and he will prove why he is in 2012 infact him dal santo, goddard, hayes, montagna, fisher all these guys have something to prove

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If we are winning frequently, we should rest him a couple of times this year… management is critical.

Degenerative knee doesn't seem to like 25 games per year, he should have barely taken the field by the end of last year, we need him in form and fitness at the right time of year if we are any chance against the other top 5-6 sides.

PJ
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:If we are winning frequently, we should rest him a couple of times this year… management is critical.

Degenerative knee doesn't seem to like 25 games per year, he should have barely taken the field by the end of last year, we need him in form and fitness at the right time of year if we are any chance against the other top 5-6 sides.
Agree, I wouldn't even mind seeing him on the pine every now and then. If we are trying alternative forward structures we need to be able to manage without him there. He is such a dominant forward and puts himself up time and time again no one else gets a look in. It's too easy for the playing group to try and hit up the big blonde guy calling for the ball.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

As with Lenny, I am not expecting too much from him too soon.

I'm sure he will spend some more time in a full-forward type of role, given the amount the difficulty he has had with his knees over the last two seasons.

More importantly, who are the players that are going to step up and take a bit of the load off his shoulders in terms of the forward-line?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:As with Lenny, I am not expecting too much from him too soon.

I'm sure he will spend some more time in a full-forward type of role, given the amount the difficulty he has had with his knees over the last two seasons.

More importantly, who are the players that are going to step up and take a bit of the load off his shoulders in terms of the forward-line?

I dont get why you wouldnt be expecting much of Rooy early. He had minor surgery. He should be up and about from the first bounce. Lenny had a knee reconstruction. Totally different as that also plays on your mind but he is mentally strong so I reckon he will start well especially if they let him play a couple of practice games.

Hammer
Club Player

IMO his role will change considerably from what we have seen in the past.

I believe under SW we will have one of the most unpredictable forward lines around.
Roo may be the decoy to drag a couple away from others to create free players.
He may take up the Richo role further out from goal.
There are many options but I do think it will be different regardless.

Bring back the Hammer!
sainter#4
Club Player

having had a look at him today, He moved much more freely and looked abit like the nick from 08/09 in that regards.

also his legs seemed like they had slimmed down compared to him last year, which hopefully that means the club is prepping him for CHF and having those long leads to the wing and doubling back.Only way to beat the 2,3 or 4 on 1's he so often faces IMO

roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

sainter#4 wrote:having had a look at him today, He moved much more freely and looked abit like the nick from 08/09 in that regards.

also his legs seemed like they had slimmed down compared to him last year, which hopefully that means the club is prepping him for CHF and having those long leads to the wing and doubling back.Only way to beat the 2,3 or 4 on 1's he so often faces IMO
so you saw the intra club did you mate? I'd really be interested to hear your report and the things that stood out for you!

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Like lightning from a clear blue sky.

Riewoldt 2012

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Im watching the 2010 dvd and Roos first two games were amazing. I think we all forget how good he is.

He put in so much work after those minor surgeries and I predict that by the end of this year he will once again be compared to Carey and Brown.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think like the team it is going to take Roo a few months to settle into the new game plan. Really when you think about it the full forward and full back postions are up for grabs and unless these positions settle down early in the season then we are in for a long hard season. And if that is the case then Roo will continue to be double and tripple teamed which means his output will probably be no better than 2011.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I think like the team it is going to take Roo a few months to settle into the new game plan. Really when you think about it the full forward and full back postions are up for grabs and unless these positions settle down early in the season then we are in for a long hard season. And if that is the case then Roo will continue to be double and tripple teamed which means his output will probably be no better than 2011.

I dont really get what you are saying. How many genuine FF are there these days. I struggle to think of any really.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I think like the team it is going to take Roo a few months to settle into the new game plan. Really when you think about it the full forward and full back postions are up for grabs and unless these positions settle down early in the season then we are in for a long hard season. And if that is the case then Roo will continue to be double and tripple teamed which means his output will probably be no better than 2011.

I dont really get what you are saying. How many genuine FF are there these days. I struggle to think of any really.
I don't think I'm really talking about "genuine" FFs so much. It's more I'm thinking we are missing "enough" quality forwards to trouble the opposition backlines. Milne aside and the odd cameo from Kosi I think we are a bit bare in the cupboard up forward full stop which can only mean Roo is going to be the focus of some serious planning by oppostion coaches in the lead up to our games.

StNoodles
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't think I'm really talking about "genuine" FFs so much. It's more I'm thinking we are missing "enough" quality forwards to trouble the opposition backlines. Milne aside and the odd cameo from Kosi I think we are a bit bare in the cupboard up forward full stop which can only mean Roo is going to be the focus of some serious planning by oppostion coaches in the lead up to our games.
This is my fear also. Unless Wilkes plays fwd and is dangerous, or Kosi really steps up from 2011 form, Roo will continue to be blanketed by multiple defenders.

Don't have much faith in Rhys unfortunately, and feel the younger brigade, including Sipposs, are a season at least from making a considerable impact.

Would LOVE to be wrong though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think you will struggle again with your posts this year and and that you will really struggle to write anything that is remotley intelligent let alone anything that makes any sense.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Hammer wrote:IMO his role will change considerably from what we have seen in the past.

I believe under SW we will have one of the most unpredictable forward lines around.
Roo may be the decoy to drag a couple away from others to create free players.
He may take up the Richo role further out from goal.
There are many options but I do think it will be different regardless.
We are going to use one of the games' best forward as a decoy?

Hmmm? surely not...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: I think you will struggle again with your posts this year and and that you will really struggle to write anything that is remotley intelligent let alone anything that makes any sense.
Has all of this aggression got anything to do with the economic situation back home?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I'm thinking we are missing "enough" quality forwards to trouble the opposition backlines. Milne aside and the odd cameo from Kosi I think we are a bit bare in the cupboard up forward full stop which can only mean Roo is going to be the focus of some serious planning by oppostion coaches in the lead up to our games.
Agree.

If we don't find a genuine goal-kicking key forward to complement Riewoldt, we are in for more of the same ... Rooey being crunched by two or three opponents at every opportunity and the ball exiting the forward line too easily.

It's a predictable set up that no longer works. The opposition are awake up to it.

He can't do it all himself and someone ought to tell him that.

Said key forward needs to be able to kick straight as well as compete on the lead (where Kosi is lacking) and take contested marks.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SaintPav wrote: I think you will struggle again with your posts this year and and that you will really struggle to write anything that is remotley intelligent let alone anything that makes any sense.
Has all of this aggression got anything to do with the economic situation back home?
Where, Avoca? Probably a lot better than in Northern Queensland.

I'm not being aggressive Cairnsman. I'm just being honest and and I'm trying to help you. I think you should go back to school now that you are retired. You could resume where you last finished and go back to grade six.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I'm thinking we are missing "enough" quality forwards to trouble the opposition backlines. Milne aside and the odd cameo from Kosi I think we are a bit bare in the cupboard up forward full stop which can only mean Roo is going to be the focus of some serious planning by oppostion coaches in the lead up to our games.
Agree.

If we don't find a genuine goal-kicking key forward to complement Riewoldt, we are in for more of the same ... Rooey being crunched by two or three opponents at every opportunity and the ball exiting the forward line too easily.

It's a predictable set up that no longer works. The opposition are awake up to it.

He can't do it all himself and someone ought to tell him that.

Said key forward needs to be able to kick straight as well as compete on the lead (where Kosi is lacking) and take contested marks.

Going to be an interesting year. I can't wait to see how it unfolds however I've got to say I'm not holding out much hope for anything special.