NAB Cup Rd 1 Official match thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB Cup Rd 1 Official match thread

PakenhamSaint wrote:Final Score:
SYD: 0.9.5 (59)
STK: 0.4.5 (29)
I know it's only the nab cup but I would have liked to be a bit more competitive

I love this club
spert
Saintsational Legend

Midfield need to go a lot harder at the contest

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tom ledger 5 clearances… not bad

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:lots of things to work on.

need to improve our zone, sydney were constantly kicking over it to a loose man and running into open goals

delivery into forward 50 was WAY to wide, straighten up give roo + stanley etc a chance
Sums it up pretty well.

Most worried about the zone

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Stanley, Ledger, Steven, Fisher, Geary, Saad all played well
Kosi looked good early but was subbed off, struggled with the heat
Roo took some great marks over his head.
Lenny got through the game alright.

ALOT of work to do however!!

Sainter for life.
StNoodles
Club Player

Thought Stanley and Ledger looked good.

Rhys has bulked up and looks primed!

Our defence was pretty damn woeful though, early days however.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Stanley was moving well, and Ledger would be in my Round 1 team at the moment

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
luc1966
Club Player

How did wilkes go?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

luc1966 wrote:How did wilkes go?
I think he's a bit short for a key defensive post.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
luc1966
Club Player

did he play on reid
?

luc1966
Club Player

also dempster any news

wasaintsfan
Club Player

Signs were there early

We did get over run in the 2nd half... but also alot of luck went sydneys way... just with the bounce of the ball(which we all know about that) every miss touch and kick from goodes seemed to some how bounce up perfectly for the running sydney player... where as milnes attempts at goal fell slightest bit short and 2nd one just some how shaved the post. which will get fine tuned... it was our first game under a new coach and it showed (Geelong under scott last year anyone? we smashed them by 40 odd points off memory? then think round 1???)

there were good signs aswell... our midfield seems to be working harder to win the clearances.. Macca was solid in ruck... The movement forward was faster in the 1st half... shouldve had more goals but kept passing instead of shooting...

Roo's shot at goal was actually a goal..

Saad looks like a gun.. pressure is massive

Stanley looks to have put on size and has a bit more of a footy brain......

wylkes started slow but slowly started to improve

stevens need to slow down his thought process... defo shows in his attempts at kicking the ball hes thinking to much....

Only worrying sign was we did what collingwood did too often in 09... in which we kept trying to go deep into the pockets when going forward.... prob also take a leaf out of west coasts book and keep 2 people behind play to stop the run on

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

wasaintsfan wrote:Signs were there early

We did get over run in the 2nd half... but also alot of luck went sydneys way... just with the bounce of the ball(which we all know about that) every miss touch and kick from goodes seemed to some how bounce up perfectly for the running sydney player... where as milnes attempts at goal fell slightest bit short and 2nd one just some how shaved the post. which will get fine tuned... it was our first game under a new coach and it showed (Geelong under scott last year anyone? we smashed them by 40 odd points off memory? then think round 1???)

there were good signs aswell... our midfield seems to be working harder to win the clearances.. Macca was solid in ruck... The movement forward was faster in the 1st half... shouldve had more goals but kept passing instead of shooting...

Roo's shot at goal was actually a goal..

Saad looks like a gun.. pressure is massive

Stanley looks to have put on size and has a bit more of a footy brain......

wylkes started slow but slowly started to improve

stevens need to slow down his thought process... defo shows in his attempts at kicking the ball hes thinking to much....

Only worrying sign was we did what collingwood did too often in 09... in which we kept trying to go deep into the pockets when going forward.... prob also take a leaf out of west coasts book and keep 2 people behind play to stop the run on

cheers. thanks for the report.

sainter#4
Club Player

i just feel that once we get forward of the wing we should look to bring the ball back through the centre and ether hit up a leading forward or put it up and let roo have a chance to run at the ball.

kids look good tho, props to ross, saad and ledger.

roo was moving very well, didnt get much of it tho.

lenny will take awhile to get touch back, few times the ball came to him and he wasnt as clean as what were accustomed to. But he did bust a few packs open like a bulldozer.

mcevoy - got destroyed in the ruck

wilkes looks ok, certainly feel better then i did when zac got it.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

sainter#4 wrote:i just feel that once we get forward of the wing we should look to bring the ball back through the centre and ether hit up a leading forward or put it up and let roo have a chance to run at the ball.

lenny will take awhile to get touch back, few times the ball came to him and he wasnt as clean as what were accustomed to. But he did bust a few packs open like a bulldozer.

inside 50s syd 20 st kilda 20

hit outs syd 12 st kilda 9

trying to see how maccas got destroyed?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

People saying there are things to work on i just laugh. Its the first real hit out. Im taking very little from this game. I just hope we get no injuries.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

clarky449 wrote:People saying there are things to work on i just laugh. Its the first real hit out. Im taking very little from this game. I just hope we get no injuries.
SPOT ON.

Port Adelaide beat Geelong by 14 goals in the third round of last years NAB Cup. Results mean nothing.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Is it just that Wilkes looks so big that he looks a little slow or is it just that the players he played on were a bit more nimble? just got caught behind a bit.

Saad looks exciting around the front half

Armo needs to get it

Lenny got some touches

Ledger reminds me of someone. I like the way this fella plays

Mcevoy seemed to struggle a little in the ruck but he was the only one against about 2 or 3.

Roo led to the pockets a bit

Kosi started well

Stanley did pretty well.

All in all it is the first game of the NAB cup. Lots of things to work on. St's took a while to get used to Lyons game plan and with a few more experienced heads in the side we will see it settle down a bit with some exciting younger players pushing for selection. I will wait till the end of the next game till I rate the younger boys but so far like Ledger and SAAD.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Gram, Jones, Crocker, Winmar, Ray, Blake, Simpkin, Milera, Polo, Archer and Curren all unused vs Swannies. I'm sure most will get a go in game 2.

Sainter for life.
saintkellerm
Club Player

I am glad I didn't go....was going to, but then I remembered Saints vs Swans last years final...I stormed off (and left my hubby - Swan supporter), well I just moved away (about 10 rows back) because of the way they played...I got excited for one quarter, then it was almost like everyone gave up...

OK I know it is the NAB cup, so not too worried, but would have thought our second half would have been a bit better. Well hopefully turn it around against Geelong, but it sounds like the young guys are keen and want to do well....so hopefully they get better with each match.

sainter#4
Club Player

wasaintsfan wrote:
sainter#4 wrote:i just feel that once we get forward of the wing we should look to bring the ball back through the centre and ether hit up a leading forward or put it up and let roo have a chance to run at the ball.

did you watch the game?? every centre bounce was pretty much a tap down from the swans ruckmen to their onballers.

He just isnt a good tap ruckman

wasaintsfan
Club Player

sainter#4 wrote:
wasaintsfan wrote:

did you watch the game?? every centre bounce was pretty much a tap down from the swans ruckmen to their onballers.

He just isnt a good tap ruckman

mustve been watching 2 different games.. because the offical stats support what i say =\ and considering ledger had 5 clearances as stated by some one else shows from the ruck we werent too bad????

we were killed when we took it out the centre a poor disposal a turn over and run the other way... hence the reason why i suggested maybe keep 2 people behind the play like the eagles tried in their game..... to stop the overlap..... this will reduce by round 1 anyway when the skills pick up and the pressure intensifies...

and it doesnt help when set plays from sydney involved them going for a mark in the goal square.... and he misses the balls with his hands and it by luck hits his leg :P again its NAB cup... under first game coach with modifications to game plans.. prob find itll be blake in ruck in 2nd game.......

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes not playing game 2

Sainter for life.
wasaintsfan
Club Player

wasaintsfan wrote:

He just isnt a good tap ruckman[/quote]

mustve been watching 2 different games.. because the offical stats support what i say =\ and considering ledger had 5 clearances as stated by some one else shows from the ruck we werent too bad????

we were killed when we took it out the centre a poor disposal a turn over and run the other way... hence the reason why i suggested maybe keep 2 people behind the play like the eagles tried in their game..... to stop the overlap..... this will reduce by round 1 anyway when the skills pick up and the pressure intensifies...

and it doesnt help when set plays from sydney involved them going for a mark in the goal square.... and he misses the balls with his hands and it by luck hits his leg :P again its NAB cup... under first game coach with modifications to game plans.. prob find itll be blake in ruck in 2nd game.......[/quote]

Just watched every hitout macca was in in first half(not gonna have time for 2nd before our last game)

Macca hit out to advantage 2

hit out win but to nothing 1

Dead heats 3

clear loss 1

Loss but stopped the hit out to advantage 3

now can we leave this please :P

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Beau Wilkes playing in the forward line in this game
Score: Saints 1 vs Geelong 1
5 mins gone