The 2012 'over reliance on Roo thread'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: The 2012 'over reliance on Roo thread'

plugger66 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:break double teaming.
field kicking better than shots on goal.
allow blokes going forward to pick best option rather than over relianco on no 12

So we are trying to hide our best forward. Maybe we just learn to use him better. He actually has won 5 B&F playing as a forward. Not sure he would even know what he is doing at CHB.
ok hes won 5 b and fs so lets just revolve our side about him winning 6 and we can all say how great he is. stuff actually winning games. lets just all touch ourselves over our big hero! who cares if we lose or cant score!
the other 21 blokes are really on the field to just help nick win another b & f!

Stevie J has zero b and f's but 3 flags. You think stevie j would give a sh*t about how many b and fs he has?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

There were two angry pants episodes the other night.

One time when the ball went over Roo his head, and he put his hands up in exasperation.

Then in the second game when Goddard captained, and Milne tried to fluff around and pretend he marked the ball when he knew everyone (umpires included) realised he hadn't.
Last edited by SainterK on Tue 28 Feb 2012 10:38am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:break double teaming.
field kicking better than shots on goal.
allow blokes going forward to pick best option rather than over relianco on no 12

So we are trying to hide our best forward. Maybe we just learn to use him better. He actually has won 5 B&F playing as a forward. Not sure he would even know what he is doing at CHB.
ok hes won 5 b and fs so lets just revolve our side about him winning 6 and we can all say how great he is. stuff actually winning games. lets just all touch ourselves over our big hero! who cares if we lose or cant score!
the other 21 blokes are really on the field to just help nick win another b & f!

Stevie J has zero b and f's but 3 flags. You think stevie j would give a sh*t about how many b and fs he has?

And your point is? I dont hero worship any player. I was pointing out he plays the position pretty well. We have no idea if he can play CHB and we have a couple of those anyway. We need a gun forward and is proven there.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:If that is the case Roo should be told in no uncertain terms to get over himself. Its not the Nick Riewoldt hero society.
Its the St kilda football team.

We go to him way too much and it hurts the team.
he should really stop the "Roo look" and worry about the total score.
well said Con

You could actually justify going to him as often as we do if he could kick like Lockett.

But he can't, so it is inefficient and a waste of effort a lot of the time
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 28 Feb 2012 9:01am, edited 2 times in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

It was obvious our forward line functioned so much better without ROO & KOSI in the second game. Players began looking for realistic options or otherwise at the gaols. That is not to say we need dont at least ROO but it is a major concern Watters has to sort out with our forward entries. The easy option would be to play him much higher up the ground...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:The easy option would be to play him much higher up the ground...

Or out of the goal square. Or behind the ball. There are lots of options. Let's hope we chose one.

skfc17
Club Player

of the one kick he had at goal and the one he put to the top of the square, his kicking looked relaxed and fluent.

Carn the mighty Sainters
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've thought since 2010 that it's been a real liability of ours to always look for roo. when he is in form we get away with it, but we cannot expect him to carry the team. lyon's gameplan seemed to work better without him as too many forward movements were undone by a stupid pass to a double or triple teamed roo. the problem was that he was too good not to play at chf. whether lyon instructed them to seek roo, or whether it was just the easy option, the habit was never broken under lyon. in reality he never came up with a decent attacking game in his five years. hopefully watters can solve this and roo becomes just another cog in the machine. great player though he is - he is no carey - you cannot trust him to kick the pressure goal. he is a very good pass, so i'd be inclined to use him further down the ground - which then moves the problem to our forwards - aside from milne we don't have a class forward, and we don't have a class tall forward.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
shmic_s
Club Player

Good discussion.

New coach. Same problems.

I don't know what the solution is. Play him on the wing?
Kosi can provide contested marking in the goal square.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:New coach. Same problems.
Are we sure that's the case after about half an hour of a novelty match?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

noone wants to hide him or even mentioned hiding him. . u just invented that position so you could argue against it. ur argument is just to hold ur breath and say roo has won 5 b and fs - like that is relevant when a player has the ball 70m from goal and is sprinting?

my point is we should pick the best option going fwd regardless of who it is. if its roo its roo. if its someone else its someone else

And your point is? I dont hero worship any player. I was pointing out he plays the position pretty well. We have no idea if he can play CHB and we have a couple of those anyway. We need a gun forward and is proven there.[/quote]

shmic_s
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
I hope not. Love Rooey and want him back to his best and i want us winning.

But it is interesting that ever since the 2010 season, when opposition teams started playing the 'full press' that we successfully introduced in 2009, he has not been as productive.
But he also had another issue in the 2010 season, his hamstring, which may also still be restricting him.
So is it the way the game is played and/or his injury affecting him?

Instictive footy is great when he's not there, but once he is, it becomes quite instictive to try and give him the ball.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
GRAMophone wrote:I really hope we can sort this out this year. Also see Roo demanding the ball when he's far from clear and in very poor position. Must be hard for the young guys to look elsewhere.Schneider looking inboard for Kosi in game 1 was a refreshing forward entry.
I hate it when he leads to the boundary - has 3 blokes on his hammer and they punch it out of bounds when there is a big hole opening up in the middle 30m from goal for someone to run into and they just go for roo.
Fully Agree

This is the problem.
Riewoldt has an opponent blocking the hole in front of him.
Riewoldt leads to the boundary he has 3 blokes on his hammer, he is not clear but he still demands the ball.
The midfielders don't have the skill to hit a standing target let alone a leading target.
The midfielder kicks to Riewoldt.
If by some miracle Riewoldt ends up with a set shot ,often from a free kick, he is out of range or on too tight an angle.
The defence has had time to reset.
Potential scores are converted into easy opposition clearances.

The solution
Riewoldt has an opponent blocking the hole in front of him.
Riewoldt leads straight toward the midfielder, down the guts, he has 3 blokes on his hammer, he is not clear but he still demands the ball.
The midfielders don't have the skill to hit a standing target let alone a leading target.
The midfielder ignores Riewoldt, kicks the ball over his head, to the hole left behind by the 3 blokes on Riewoldts hammer.
Even if it ends in a contest at least the contest is in front of goals.
It even works when Riewoldt is not even playing.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Absolutely!

NAB cup is a perfect indicator, Carlton are sure things based on theIr performance thus far....oh wait

OK, take it back a couple of years, and the Dogs in 2010...won the NAB cup and then won....oh wait ;)

Not trying to be controversial Doc, it's just an interesting topic, and will watch with interest how it unfolds. I'm not sure Watters will do much about it by playing Roo elsewhere, but he may change up those delivering the ball to him.