Fullback

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Fullback

For me our clearest achilles heel is the fullback position. Wilkes to me looks like he needs more work and ATM isn't up to it. This is where we will lose games unless we find something soon. Thought/ideas/suggestions?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fullback

Might have to be Blake or Gilbert until we develop someone else who is good enough.

But, I agree. It's a problem. We're going to miss that traitor Zac unfortunately.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

I think we are in a bit of s*** here especially playing a more attacking game. Whoever is fullback is going to be exposed a bit more frequently without the chopout.

PJ
SS Life Member

Very concerning how easy it seemed to be to get the ball at the top of the goal square. They scored with an ease I haven't seen against the saints for some time.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Defenders look very silly when made to play 1 on 1 especially when they're inexperienced

We either need a better Fullback, or a system that doesn't allow 1 on 1's

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Some of our positional deficiencies may force a rethink re recruiting strategy at seasons end..

We have some gaping holes....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Some of our positional deficiencies may force a rethink re recruiting strategy at seasons end..

Hope there's no photos :shock:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Some of our positional deficiencies may force a rethink re recruiting strategy at seasons end..

Hope there's no photos :shock:
You're the Doctor...cure them

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yeah letting Dawson go doesn't look such a smart move now. I wasn't a fan but you have to say his height and speed was an asset after seeing us struggle against the taller forwards. Gees when you look at WCE they have at least 5 top quality key defenders who could play fullback - we gave none! What happened to Johnson we drafted him as a key back, then don't play him there and the delist him. There is/was something seriously wrong with player development down there...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

You want to develop a full back you need to play someone in the and actually develop him.

Give it to Simpkin, continue playing a team defence and let him grow

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

If we put him on the rack do you think we might be able to squeeze a couple more cm out of him?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Simpkin is a good replacement for Blake but I don't think he will be big enough to hold down FB... I think unless they start using Kosi or even Roo more in defence we are going to be in a world of hurt against taller forwards.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i knew losing dawson would bite us. I just thought people would start this conversation around round 4 - not pre season. the main issue is most teams are now putting a lot of tall timber in their fwd lines. why? becauseif u want to win finals you need to take contested marks in the fwd 50. u can win some games without it but u cant win finals. so we need to persist with gilbo/wilkes/simpkin and hope like hell ferguson comes good.
just think playing the blake is a complete waste of time. if it is choice between losing by 4 goals with the blake and losing by 6 goals with a younger player id rather take the younger player. at least he might get better.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

While I share the concerns of others I'm mindful of the fact we haven't had a real test as yet.

What I mean by that is that we are looking at Simpkin and Wilkes in the traditional role of Full Back. But so far we've had two short novelty games, a washout and a game against the Eagles where a lot of the damage was done by the resting rucks. And I reckon Cox and Nic Nat would've caused a lot of problems for anyone, including Zac and Max.

We need to see who will be best suited to the likes of Riewoldt, Hawkins, Dawes etc.

So far Simpkin would be ahead, simply because he's shown a bit and Wilkes has shown very little.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin at 191cm is the same height as Max. I think he is the best shot at fullback at the moment. He looked more suited than Wilkes.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps Dempster could be another option if Wilkes, Simpkin or Blake don't cut the mustard?

His ability to spoil opponents and intensity at playing one on one is second to none.
Last edited by Sainternist on Mon 12 Mar 2012 10:55am, edited 1 time in total.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

There is another solution.

Our forward line and rucks can work so hard and be so incredibly dangerous....

That other teams suppporter forums are wondering who on earth is going to play on them?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:Simpkin at 191cm is the same height as Max. I think he is the best shot at fullback at the moment. He looked more suited than Wilkes.
Max wasnt asked to play of ruckman size players - he played on the more traditional forwards eg Tarrant, Lloyd.. Agreed Simpkin is suited to that sort of player we just need another tall 195-200 cm player down back.

defacto
Club Player

SainterK wrote:There is another solution.

Our forward line and rucks can work so hard and be so incredibly dangerous....

That other teams suppporter forums are wondering who on earth is going to play on them?
Thats half the problem our fwds can't do what the other teams fwds do, take a hard contested mark and make the most of the delivery inside fwd. were always looking for the easy leading mark.

StNoodles
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Simpkin at 191cm is the same height as Max. I think he is the best shot at fullback at the moment. He looked more suited than Wilkes.
Yep, and only 1cm shorter than arguably the best full back ever, M. Scarlett.

saints66
Club Player

Steven Gartner might have c0me in handy n0w

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Friday night against the Pies will give us an idea of who the selectors are thinking of. Wilkes was the chosen by Watters as the replacement for Zac, but he doesn't seem up to AFL level so far. On Friday night, I would run with Wilkes first up (it's a practice match) for the 1st half to give him another opportunity, then Blake as a an experienced "stopper." Simkin has a lot to learn and fullback is not a "learner's" spot. He seems like an attacking guy, so may take a half-back spot.

Let's not rob Peter to pay Paul, by putting Fisher at fullback. We need his attacking run further up the field.

Fullback was always going to be difficult to fill and it's not a good position to be in, right at the start of the season.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Friday night against the Pies will give us an idea of who the selectors are thinking of. Wilkes was the chosen by Watters as the replacement for Zac, but he doesn't seem up to AFL level so far. On Friday night, I would run with Wilkes first up (it's a practice match) for the 1st half to give him another opportunity, then Blake as a an experienced "stopper." Simkin has a lot to learn and fullback is not a "learner's" spot. He seems like an attacking guy, so may take a half-back spot.

Let's not rob Peter to pay Paul, by putting Fisher at fullback. We need his attacking run further up the field.

Fullback was always going to be difficult to fill and it's not a good position to be in, right at the start of the season.
everyone assumes wilkes was chosen as a replacement for zac. noone has ever said this. wilkes was chosen as a tall utility back-up and got drafted because of his good form up fwd (40 goals in 10 games ) in the 2nd half of the 2011 WAFL season.
we have no replacement for zac - but simpkin is the teams fullback. we need to start looking for another tall defender (gilbo or feruson) to help out when teams play tall fwd lines.