Rendell to be sacked by Crows?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rendell to be sacked by Crows?

SEN reporting it was Rendell making the comments re not recruiting Aboriginals unless one parent was white.

Question - wasn't X recruited during Rendell's time with us?

I assume X has two black parents?

SEN sucking up to Rendell big time.
Last edited by saintspremiers on Fri 16 Mar 2012 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rendell to be sacked by Crows

they are assuming sacking- but just media conferance at this point.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rendell to be sacked by Crows?

Seems like people are going the guy, and forgetting the bigger issue.

Is it his view, is it a widely held view, why are the numbers going down?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He has "resigned". Official SEN

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Rendell has officially resigned ..

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

therunhome‏@therunhomeReply

Matt Rendell has resigned as Crows Recruiting Manager, effectively immediately

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Seems like people are going the guy, and forgetting the bigger issue.

Is it his view, is it a widely held view, why are the numbers going down?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Rendell acknowledges the quote is attributed to him, but in a statement release by Adelaide on Friday afternoon said he disputes the interpretation and context of the reports of the meeting with Mifsud.

"I believe the comments in a meeting with Jason were taken out of context. They were misunderstood. I have a strong track record of recruiting Aboriginal players. My comments were about where recruiting could finish up without proactive work. I was trying to help," Rendell said.

"However, knowing the implication of such reports, I’ve decided to stand down.

"To stay would attach those comments to the Club, which is not the case either."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

He is more than likely correct however mentioning drafting a player with one white parent should not have been discussed/bandied.

Indigenous players representation has decreased from approx 12% to 9% in the past two years and the issues behind delisting have been behavioural.

What does that say?

SainterX1
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:He is more than likely correct however mentioning drafting a player with one white parent should not have been discussed/bandied.

Indigenous players representation has decreased from approx 12% to 9% in the past two years and the issues behind delisting have been behavioural.

What does that say?
That says to me that you don't know what you are talking about. How many Indigenous players have been delisted due to behaviour? If this is the attitude that recruiters are adopting then we will never see the likes of Buddy Franklin (alleged behavioural issues) Cyril Rioli (allegedly lazy) Andrew McLeod (allegedly lazy) and others. It is easy to attribute a person's reputation to the stereotype which exists. Would anyone want a recruiter who picks players due to their stereotype of the player? Would we have Saad now if they did? I want recruiters who pick players on their ability, not on their personal views and stereotypes.

Royston
Club Player

Rendell and Mifsud were at the Saints together under the GT rein...

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bit of an idiot that rendell dude...i'm sure he won't be missed

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SainterX1 wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:He is more than likely correct however mentioning drafting a player with one white parent should not have been discussed/bandied.

What does that say?
That says to me that you don't know what you are talking about. How many Indigenous players have been delisted due to behaviour? If this is the attitude that recruiters are adopting then we will never see the likes of Buddy Franklin (alleged behavioural issues) Cyril Rioli (allegedly lazy) Andrew McLeod (allegedly lazy) and others. It is easy to attribute a person's reputation to the stereotype which exists. Would anyone want a recruiter who picks players due to their stereotype of the player? Would we have Saad now if they did? I want recruiters who pick players on their ability, not on their personal views and stereotypes.
It works the other way though.

Why did Darling go so late?

Perhaps the character is important to clubs, because the character is important to clubs....

SainterX1
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
SainterX1 wrote:

What does that say?
It works the other way though.

Why did Darling go so late?

Perhaps the character is important to clubs, because the character is important to clubs....
Yes, absolutely character is important, but don't base a person's character on your stereotype of a race of people.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterX1 wrote:

What does that say?
Saad is Egyptian.

The figures are there. The % of Indigenous players have dropped 3% from 12-9 over the past two seasons and many have been delisted through poor behaviour/desire to return home/inability to succeed through lack of work.

I have made reference to the 30 Indigenous players delisted in the past two seasons and you have made mention to 3 players drafted over the past 17 years?

It is an easy out to make reference to Franklin, Rioli and McLeod however the former two were high draft picks for a reason...

The rookies/late draft picks seem to be developing at a poorer rate and are subsequently not on lists.

It is almost anti-racism but not acknowledging there could potentially be a problem and putting fingers in ears suggesting that any minute shred of evidence to the contrary is racist.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Should have kept his mouth shut

Furphy
Club Player

One of the news chanels showed him wearing St Kilda colours for visual footage. Every bad footy story has to have a St Kilda angle! :twisted:

saint-stu
Club Player

Furphy wrote:One of the news chanels showed him wearing St Kilda colours for visual footage. Every bad footy story has to have a St Kilda angle!
The age also mentions his link to St Kilda.
Mifsud and Rendell were assistant coaches together for a season at St Kilda under Grant Thomas.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/r ... z1pJmg7mgy
Drives me nuts!

1ac46a38
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:
Furphy wrote:One of the news chanels showed him wearing St Kilda colours for visual footage. Every bad footy story has to have a St Kilda angle!
The age also mentions his link to St Kilda.
Mifsud and Rendell were assistant coaches together for a season at St Kilda under Grant Thomas.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/r ... z1pJmg7mgy
Drives me nuts!
'

You know what drives me nuts. Our side not winning a GF in 46 years. I couldnt give a dam what colours Rendall is pictured in and it is certainly part of the story that they worked together at our club. Does it effect our performance. No. Does kicking less goals than the opposition. Yes.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

What a d**khead, got what he deserved. It's like saying all priests should be excluded from being anywhere near children. Not only are there heaps of different Aboriginal tribes in Australia, there are heaps of social backgrounds. It could be the same as saying you would only take kids from private schools but that doesn't come with years of prejudice associated with it. Jurrah is from a remote area and speaks little English how is that the same as a melbourne urban guy with an aboriginal heritage. Dipshit good riddance.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:What a d**khead, got what he deserved. It's like saying all priests should be excluded from being anywhere near children. Not only are there heaps of different Aboriginal tribes in Australia, there are heaps of social backgrounds. It could be the same as saying you would only take kids from private schools but that doesn't come with years of prejudice associated with it. Jurrah is from a remote area and speaks little English how is that the same as a melbourne urban guy with an aboriginal heritage. Dipshit good riddance.
At the moment the statistics are displaying something though...

awesome_days
Club Player

The comments are similar to what Akermanis had to say about homosexuals in that in isolation they look insensitive and incorrect, but in the context of someone trying to highlight an area of deficiency they are absolutely correct.

I am of the opinion that there are no known homosexual players in the AFL because there is more to lose than gain by coming out with the preference being more taboo among the vocal extremists than the silent majority - as such there is more likely to be negative outcomes. (I also can't decide whether Akermanis was headline grabbing or poorly communicating his point)

With regards to indigenous players, because they are a minority it is easier to remember why they are delisted or name misdemeanors, and as such the negative stereotypes can grow quicker. If you asked a general AFL player why Relton Roberts, Troy Taylor or Steve Gaertener (all rookies) were delisted, more people would be able to say lack of desire and work ethic for the indigenous players while Gaertener would be just another anonymous white boy delistee.

Indigenous players are overrepresented in terms of total population v AFL population which implies as a racial group they have the required skill, however if more needs to be done to ensure the perceived "character" and "family profile" are not issues in initial recruitment and that appropriate support is put in place.

To the top
SS Life Member

I have known the Rendell family since growing up in the next street in Lockleys.

In Melbourne, I have known Matthew during his football career after moving from West Torrens to Fitzroy.

Post football, I have known him as mine host at the hotel he leased in Fitzroy and when he was involved with St Kilda.

The character assasination of Matthew Rendell by the AFL (at, I believe, the direction of Demitriou, who I hold in very low esteem both as an individual and a business person) and the media is a disgrace and a mis-representation of Matthew, the type of person he is and the family he comes from.

I look forward to Matthew's response.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I have known the Rendell family since growing up in the next street in Lockleys.

In Melbourne, I have known Matthew during his football career after moving from West Torrens to Fitzroy.

Post football, I have known him as mine host at the hotel he leased in Fitzroy and when he was involved with St Kilda.

The character assasination of Matthew Rendell by the AFL (at, I believe, the direction of Demitriou, who I hold in very low esteem both as an individual and a business person) and the media is a disgrace and a mis-representation of Matthew, the type of person he is and the family he comes from.

Thanks for your point of view Grant...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
To the top wrote:I have known the Rendell family since growing up in the next street in Lockleys.

Thanks for your point of view Grant...

I met Matt Rendell in the early 90's when I appointed him as a coach at our Junior football club.
He was suggested to us by his mate Glen Coleman (who also coached) and having had long conversations with him over a 2-3 year period I am absolutely astonished with the picture of him being portrayed in the media.

It is so far removed from the Matt Rendell that I knew that I find it impossible to believe this is the same person.

I don't know Jason Mifsud so can only base my opinion on what Matt Rendell has said on the matter, and I believe him 100%.
I think he's been made a public scapegoat for comments that were misinterpreted by Mifsud.