NAB Challenge R4 Magpies v Saints GAME THREAD

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB Challenge R4 Magpies v Saints GAME THREAD

It's almost like they are playing like they are game behind everyone else.....

;)

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

sainters4eva wrote:WTF, criticising Saad's run up to kick for goal. He kicked it didn't he? Collingwood have kicked a lot of points.
Man, that was embarrassing, I even cringed. He walked back about 45 metres from the man on the mark, stood still for all of 20 seconds, then slowly (and I do mean Slowly walked in about 30 metres then took 5 jogging steps before kicking, it must have taken over a minute for the whole process

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Some positives

Some negatives

Overall, a concerning performance .... With worrying signs
Do you ever post when things are going well ?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Some negatives

I think there is one simple answer to that question. NO.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Some negatives

I think there is one simple answer to that question. NO.
Don't bag him too much.
How would we know there were positives and negatives with worrying signs if he hadn't pointed them out.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

.i take it , we got eaten alive.
Yep.
(only read the last two posts)

.happy birthday gaz.
.where's the potatoe juice.

hmmmmmmmm.

What oddz are port again ?

...lets get smashed and watch the herd rip mart limb to limb.

.happy birthday to me
.happy birthday to me.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Best thing about todays match...

Amongst Pies best Pendlebury, Cloke, Shaw....that's a given.

Amongst Saints best Gilbert, Geary, Kosi, Ledger.

Guns will play well come Rd 1, it's the other guys that need to step up and make the difference in 2012.

Oh, and happy birthday Gaz

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:.i take it , we got eaten alive.
Yep.
(only read the last two posts)

.happy birthday gaz.
.where's the potatoe juice.

hmmmmmmmm.

What oddz are port again ?

...lets get smashed and watch the herd rip mart limb to limb.

.happy birthday to me
.happy birthday to me.
Happy bday Gaz and enjoy your fermented potato juice!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
70s sainter
Club Player

The score in the end was flattering for us, believe me. They missed plenty of sitters from 20 or 30 out. Cloke missed some easy ones but tore us a new one overall. I hate to say it but we desperately need a big full back and even dawson would have been handy today> just a fist on the ball would be nice. The turnovers around the ground usually ended up with the ball streaming back into their forward line finding a target. If we re relying on simpkin as full back i think we re in strife. Reiwolt only looked effective when he moved up the ground . he hit a player on the chest inside 50 three times i think. Stnley competed well against Jolly in the ruck, with first touch most of the time . He had three kicks inside 50 in a row but chose the pocket every time (once out on the full) which seemed strange. Joey was good. As for Jones , he knows how to get it , and move it forward which is something at least. We lack classy mids thats for sure. Saad is no milney but will improve.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

went along....It appears the boys were preparing for a season that promised an easy start, made noticeable by refusing to attack the ball in flight on most occasions and allowing their opponent front pozzy whenever possible, it is obvious they are saving themselves, can't be any other explanation surely.

Defence could have pretended to at least show a bit at times but there were times I think the coach may have been involved in some of the feeble strategies down back , part of the major plan I guess to throw everyone off. Slippery conditions disguised Roos poor kicking nicely but there were no surprises with Clinton in front of goal....can't wait to see players running past him to to take the kick for goal in the real season...don't wanna show that little ploy too early. :)

Collingwood weren't trying to trick anyone, they wanted the ball.

PS The umpires tricked everyone except the one who must be topping up their wallets...Eddy. The inconsistencies were criminal even for a praccy (frees against in contested marking situations were laughable which were ignored the other way, soft frees for Collingwood , hard earnt for us for the majority.)It's a prac match so I viewed the umps in a neutral manner.

Quixote
SS Life Member

I'm loathe to add this, but Port Adelaide are a bit up and about this pre-season too. They seem to have a distinct hunger.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:42 inside 50's a piece now.

So worked into the game.

I think they are just a game behind?
So forward efficiency was a problem?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
sainters4eva wrote:WTF, criticising Saad's run up to kick for goal. He kicked it didn't he? Collingwood have kicked a lot of points.
Man, that was embarrassing, I even cringed. He walked back about 45 metres from the man on the mark, stood still for all of 20 seconds, then slowly (and I do mean Slowly walked in about 30 metres then took 5 jogging steps before kicking, it must have taken over a minute for the whole process
I'll wear that embarrassment every day of the week

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
SainterK wrote:42 inside 50's a piece now.

So worked into the game.

I think they are just a game behind?
So forward efficiency was a problem?

I thought the problem was RL's coaching. Who is at fault now. I had a go at BM before but this crap that we are a game behind is just that, crap. We are looking ordinary. I hope and want to be proved wrong but bottom of the top 8 is about the best we can hope for IMO.

Trunch
Club Player

My take

If we are ready to accept that team is rebuilding, which I believe it is then there are some really positive signs.

Ledger will be a good player and again showed promise and progress today. Not afraid to put his head over the ball and has an appetite for the contest.
Sippos is gaining more confidence with each hit out. His long kicking will become a feature in play in years to come.
Cripps is a similar case to Sippos in that the more he plays the more he looks like a league level footballer.
Tom Simpkin continues to impress me. Undersize against players like Cloke and Dawes he will get stronger in years to come. He is confident with the ball in his hands.

Stanley is a concern for mine. His hands are awful. Poor conditions today I know but he never seems to 'clunk' the pill.

I expect no improvement from our senior guys. We have seen the best of Roo and Kosi. BJ, Joey, Chips, Dal and Lenny aren't going to 'improve' so lets look forward to watching the new breed come through.

Remain educated on the game, stay loyal to St.Kilda
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: My take

Trunch wrote:If we are ready to accept that team is rebuilding, which I believe it is then there are some really positive signs.

Ledger will be a good player and again showed promise and progress today. Not afraid to put his head over the ball and has an appetite for the contest.
Sippos is gaining more confidence with each hit out. His long kicking will become a feature in play in years to come.
Cripps is a similar case to Sippos in that the more he plays the more he looks like a league level footballer.
Tom Simpkin continues to impress me. Undersize against players like Cloke and Dawes he will get stronger in years to come. He is confident with the ball in his hands.

Stanley is a concern for mine. His hands are awful. Poor conditions today I know but he never seems to 'clunk' the pill.

I expect no improvement from our senior guys. We have seen the best of Roo and Kosi. BJ, Joey, Chips, Dal and Lenny aren't going to 'improve' so lets look forward to watching the new breed come through.
good post

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Just got back - we're going to struggle folks

Monstered in the defence...hate to say - we will miss Zac.

Lots of playing on, but no forward structure - one passage of play summed it up, in 3Q we got some space in the centre, got the ball to Goddard, he had time and we could set up an attack...ideal oppertunity to observe the attack plan...ended up having to go to Sipposs against 3 Pies...

Thought Rhys Stanley was OK, actually went ok in the ruck, huge kick, good speed - need to persist and get him confident

Ledger very good, great breakaway speed

Saad - good signs, speed and urgency

look forward to Gwilts return....miss his strength and kicking from defence

Nee!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Worst preseason since...2009!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Ok Just got back from the game, so here is my player by player review

Siposs: Didn't do a whole lot, but the conditions didn't suit him. have to persist with him

Steven: Tried very hard and tackled ferociously, but Pendlebury made light work of him

Jones: An absolute ball magnet, although you wish he wasn't!! kicked some absolute spuds but he was also our number 1 clearance player

Macca: Struggled to have any influence, Jolly towled him up in the ruck and the conditions didnt allow him to take those big contested marks

Hayes: KO'd in the first 10 minutes and took no further part

Joey: Probably our most effective midfielder, his kicking skills are like a glaring beacon in our side. Kicked two goals

Roo: 1st half was barely sighted, worked into it in the second half, but still taking way too many marks on the wings and not enough within goal scoring distance

Schneids: Serviceable but does not do enough for a senior player. He missed a few shots that he should have nailed in his sleep. Needs to be more influential

Geary: Fantastic game from Gears, was ferocious at the ball and the man. Looks to be moving quicker than in previous years. A surprise starter for rd 1 for mine

Ledger: Subbed on for Lenny so played most of the game. He's one of those players that can slip under the guard as he does most of his best work in tight. Tough at it and great skills should play rd1

BJ: Played the QB role across HB. Was the loose man all day so he got a bit of it. Generally was very effective although he did nearly bury Chips with a hospital pass in the last qtr.

Gilbert: Was the Gilbo of 09/10 today, agressive running through the lines, hit most of his targets, tackled hard, gave a few dont argues. in our top two or three.

Armo: Very disappointing game from Dave. I thought the conditions would have suited but I just didnt notice him at all, looks a tad slow. Maybe he's a bit like Ledger and can go unnoticed but still be effective. I don't think he will play rd1

Saad: Not a great day, couldn't get involved, but he had a lot of mates in the Forward line. Kicked a nice set shot after a very, very long set shot routine. Needs to be better defensively if he's not getting the pill

Kosi: Good first half where he was our most dangerous forward. Crashed a few packs took some nice marks. Faded in 2nd half

Dempster: Got well beaten by a few opponents, including Jackson Paine, a first year player who should have kicked 4 or 5 goals but cannot kick!!

Chips: Mister consistent, tries hard week in week out get plenty of it, not sure if he is a key defender though, Cloke outmarked him comfortably a few times.

Dal: Solid game from Dal without being outstanding. We were beaten in stoppages and through the midfield and Dal was our no.1 guy in there after Lenny went down

Blake: Solid but kicks sideways almost every time he gets it. Was a step ladder for Dawes twice in the first qtr. Didnt play after half time and talking to him after the game he told me he had a corked calf

Stanley: No influence in the forward line but actually showed some good signs in the ruck in the 2nd half. Jumped over the top of Jolly in a number of centre bounces and wasnt smashed around the ground. did better than Macca I think. Had one embarrassing mees up when running onto a loose ball in the goal square and fumbled it into the post

Peake: Only played 2nd half but provided a spark on the wing. Likely sub for rd1

Simpkin: Only played second half and again showed he is our best option at full back. he is very calm under pressure and holds his ground well. Damn I wish he was a few inches taller!!!

Milera: Only played 2nd half BUT was our best 1st year player today, he is pure silk!! Does not fumble, kicks beautifully, electrifying pace and surprisingly hard at it for a toothpick!! Could and should challenge for a spot for rd1

Cripps: Not a bad performance for Crippa across HB. Did panic and cough it up under extreme pressure a few times but Collingwoods forward pressure is as good as it gets. He will play rd 1

Milne: didnt play after half time and didnt do much when he was out there, kicked one goal from a mongrel floater snap shot that somehow sailed over the pack

chook23
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:went along....It appears the boys were preparing for a season that promised an easy start, made noticeable by refusing to attack the ball in flight on most occasions and allowing their opponent front pozzy whenever possible, it is obvious they are saving themselves, can't be any other explanation surely.

Defence could have pretended to at least show a bit at times but there were times I think the coach may have been involved in some of the feeble strategies down back , part of the major plan I guess to throw everyone off. Slippery conditions disguised Roos poor kicking nicely but there were no surprises with Clinton in front of goal....can't wait to see players running past him to to take the kick for goal in the real season...don't wanna show that little ploy too early. :)

Collingwood weren't trying to trick anyone, they wanted the ball.

PS The umpires tricked everyone except the one who must be topping up their wallets...Eddy. The inconsistencies were criminal even for a praccy (frees against in contested marking situations were laughable which were ignored the other way, soft frees for Collingwood , hard earnt for us for the majority.)It's a prac match so I viewed the umps in a neutral manner.
Smells of denial

saint4life
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Went to the game this will be a very, very loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong year!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Smells of denial
Smells like the last time Saints played a preseason game at Visy :D

chook23
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
chook23 wrote:Smells of denial
Smells like the last time Saints played a preseason game at Visy :D

a few years ago...............the recent years (toll) has taken the edge from many of our players..

Honsestly think we are coming down the other side of the hill...................

and in boxing terms when it happens it happens quickly.

saint4life
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Does all this mean we'll have September off again this year...

Hope they don't invite Rendell back as the Academy Director.... :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Went along today..heres my match review

First half: With a touch more polish in front of goal, Collingwood could have been 10 goals in front by halftime. The difference between the sides was really that evident. While the Pies got the rub of the green with some early umpiring decisions, their big forwards just toyed with our defence (Dawes took an early MOTY contender sitting on Blakes head) and their run and carry just ripped us apart. Harry O' Brien gave Milney a bath. BJ battled manfully in defence and Cripps got plenty of it...his disposal wasnt great tho. Lowlight was a unbelievably comical fumble of a stationary ball by Sam Gilbert that allowed Dawes to waltz into an open goal....and kick it out on the full. Halftime was heralded by Cripps giving away a free for stepping over the line to rush a behind under no pressure..the goal a certainty after 50m for abuse by BJ. We took one contested mark for the half (Kosi in the first 5 mins) Pies took about 10

2. After halftime we showed a bit more ticker. Joey worked his way into the game and CJ and Gilbo found lots of the footy. Sadly tho we have to make a decision on CJ...as he finds it then butchers it over and over. Mac was subbed off and Stanley went into the ruck..and supplied what I thought was the standout of the half. More than held his own against Jolly at hitouts (he has a terrific vertical leap) and started imposing himself a little more around the ground. His first half had been, to be generous, insipid. We still refused tho to attack down the corridor. Lost count of the amount of times Collingwood ran the ball "coast to caost" without us touching..all down the middle..not us. If we got possession forward of the centre of from a centre clearance..we'd go wide to the pocket every single time. Very 2011

So that was hot..not great at all. We saw today where we stand right now..about 8 goals behind the top sides IMO. Was galling to hear SEN on the way home emphasise how Collingwood would have to improve on todays performance to trouble Hawthorn in Round 1..clearly insinuating they dont rate us as anywhere near a top side...and on todays performance cant rally blame them. We will get smashed by any side with big forwards like Dawes/Cloke. They did as they pleased today

PRO's: Dal, Joey, BJ (although spent the whole game in defence) Stanleys 2nd half, Kosi, Geary, Roo all in patches.

CONs: Milne, Armo (both pretty much unsighted) CJ's disposal, our indirectness. Lennys injury.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor