If we're fair dinkum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: If we're fair dinkum

our back line will get smashed this year until jungle gets back

gringo
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:It could be totally a stupid idea but would Schneider be able to play the role what Brent Guerra played at hawthorn?

I have thought the same thing before he could be that big accurate kick out of defence that would kick over the zone. Lyon played him further from goal last year and he doesn't seem to have the tank for the midfield. Backline duties until Gwilt gets back would open a spot for Saad or Milera.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The only issue I see with playing Schneider in defence is we lose one of our key scoring options. He's good for about 1.5 goals on average per game. If Saad steps up then I see it being a feasible option. It may let Goddard play more in the midfield and forward line as well.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:The only issue I see with playing Schneider in defence is we lose one of our key scoring options. He's good for about 1.5 goals on average per game. If Saad steps up then I see it being a feasible option. It may let Goddard play more in the midfield and forward line as well.

That's true, Saad or Milera would need to step up for it to happen. We need someone who is a little more defensive than Schnides and Milne as both score well but don't defend as well as others. Saad looks able to run down and tackle and if we could get Milera as a running player who rests out on a forward wing would give some flexibility and grunt. We really need some players to step up for it to happen but they both look capable- Shenton could also do that role as he is quite quick, can mark and tackle but with a bit more size.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:The only issue I see with playing Schneider in defence is we lose one of our key scoring options. He's good for about 1.5 goals on average per game. If Saad steps up then I see it being a feasible option. It may let Goddard play more in the midfield and forward line as well.

That's true, Saad or Milera would need to step up for it to happen. We need someone who is a little more defensive than Schnides and Milne as both score well but don't defend as well as others. Saad looks able to run down and tackle and if we could get Milera as a running player who rests out on a forward wing would give some flexibility and grunt. We really need some players to step up for it to happen but they both look capable- Shenton could also do that role as he is quite quick, can mark and tackle but with a bit more size.
I think Saad's frantic speed and defensive abilities just about gets him a crack in round one alone. That addresses one of our major weaknesses.

I reckon Milera is going to be a gun. He's taken longer than most to find his feet at senior footy but I can see him explode at AFL level over the next couple of years. I'm happy we've given him the opportunity because it will pay off IMO. Milera on one wing and Winmar on the other is a tantalising thought.

I don't know a lot about some of our rookies but I keep hearing this Shenton blokes name come up. Sounds like a goer.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

think we can expect a lot of jiggling about in the 22 this year. everyone will get their opportunity.
pleased the young guns have given us depth.
wonder if Stanley will play down back? you would have thought Watters would have given it a go in NAB though. mmm
no doubt we'll see our rucks drifting down back regardless.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

sorry Big Mart, I did mean bob murray... and yes omitting Montagna was an oversight. Bring him in for Peake or Gram. Maybe Stanley shd be the sub???

Looking to fit Gwilt and Clarke into this line up too

getting hard

Red
Club Player

While I do agree that Jones is a poor kick, I'm not sure he is the reason Roo struggles or the team struggles,

I believe that we lack runners, guys who can spread, so the guys who can run Jones and Peake end up with the ball

rather than our better kicks. Look at Priddis at the eagles, another poor kick who gets plenty of ball, who in his case has plenty

of runners to feed the ball and move it down field. I'm hoping guys like Ledger, Cripps, Siposs can increase our depth.

The reason Roo is triple teamed is we don't have marking options forward. 2 talls and 4 smalls obviously allows for the

opposition to cheat and fall back on the two marking targets.

It was something Lyon tried to address without success.

groupie1
Club Player

the only bash 'n crash ruckman in the list is Ottens; and I'm not sure what a 'power' forward is. But your point seems to be that you can play 3-4 big forward/ruckmen in one team so long as they're bash n crash type ruckmen or power type forwards, but not otherwise. I disagree. First of all, the more useful ruckmen in these 3-interchange days are surely those who can play a bit at ground level and who can cover the ground. The bash n crash types, if anything, less viable. See Cox & Natinui in the one side. Secondly, if a power forward is, say, Johnathan Brown, as opposed to, say, Jack Reiwoldt (bigger), then I'd reckon you'd want one of them, but you don't want more than one of them, in your forward line.

I don't think your point is strong or coherent.

I think it fundamentally comes down to how good are they. Brown, Dawes, Cloke and Jolly were all good enough to be selected in the one side, despite bringing a top-heavyness to Collingwood. And if someone argued with me that Kozi, Stanley and McEvoy are simply not good enough to justify taking that top-heavy risk, I'd accept that point.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga