David King says we're stuffed...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

David King says we're stuffed...

On SEN this morning King said Saints fans will be livid with what Lyon has left behind by about Rd 4. Says we have no KP backs (some truth in that) and the overall list is in a bad way. Watson said he was amazed watching Tom Lynch the other night and how we let him go??

Gonna be a very interesting year ...

“Yeah….nah””
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Re: David King says we're stuffed...

hes right.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

If David King says we're gone, I'm suddenly filled with confidence.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SinCitySainter
Club Player

Sam Fisher will be disappointed to hear we have no KP backs.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So has SEN picked up all the 3AW hacks like King, Walls has it? At least Roham Connolly has a brain.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:If David King says we're gone, I'm suddenly filled with confidence.

Same goes with Timmy's call on Lynch...lol

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

David King doesn't let a chance go by to sink a boot into the St.Kilda Footy Club so I wouldn't worry to much about it. I'll reserve my judgement for the real stuff. To many people like King paid to spit their opinions in the AFL world... Makes me tune out.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

King is a fool, but he's right about our backline.

There's Fisher of course.

Gilbert coming off worst ever season.

Blakey.

Clarke rebounding.

Simpkin?

Don't mean to throw cloak of doom, but as it stands the facts ain't all that helpful!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:King is a fool, but he's right about our backline.

There's Fisher of course.

Gilbert coming off worst ever season.

Blakey.

Clarke rebounding.

Simpkin?

Don't mean to throw cloak of doom, but as it stands the facts ain't all that helpful!
Fisher is best without the number one opponent.

Gilbert is an above average footballer.

Clarke has had no pre-season, plays a good half of football every 3 games and is on a one year deal...writing is on the wall.

Blake is about done

Simpkin is undersized for the position we need him to play. Not his fault and should become a good player.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Gwilt's return will be much appreciated

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

With major issues down back and some strucutural issues up forward and a few question marks about the middle.

Could 2012 be our "miracle on ice" year?

crippa2sipa
Club Player

If our backline is stuffed, why is it stuffed?
To paraphrase Spinner - it's because Pelchen decided that keeping all of Polo, Peake and Ray was more important than ditching one of those to pay market value for Dawson.

Gwilt missed the last 8 games of 2011.
Yet no-one said our backline was stuffed.
The only difference between then and now is Dawson.

King's perennial intellectual dishonesty makes my skin crawl.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Fair point Crippa - reality is Dawson was the defender to take the talls... even coach has admitted we are challenged in this area..

“Yeah….nah””
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

crippa2sipa wrote:If our backline is stuffed, why is it stuffed?
To paraphrase Spinner - it's because Pelchen decided that keeping all of Polo, Peake and Ray was more important than ditching one of those to pay market value for Dawson.

Gwilt missed the last 8 games of 2011.
Yet no-one said our backline was stuffed.
The only difference between then and now is Dawson.

King's perennial intellectual dishonesty makes my skin crawl.
I agree with you re King.

But I also reckon, if one assumes that Watters does not coach like Lyon, then guys who worked well as a team defence will be more exposed one on one. Thats not to say that won't improve or stand up, but based on what I watched in the NAB, there's some clear potential deficiencies. Hope I'm horribly mistaken.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good point Thinline. If you are going to open up and become more attacking... you have to accept sides will get out the back on u more and defenders will be 1 out. Midfield just becomes even more important both in clearances but zoning to help slow opposition attacks....

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Gwilt's return will be much appreciated
+1

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Our backline is one player down (baring Gwilt who will return with a month or 2) from the same backline '09 through '11...

Zac is the only player missing, with many not rating him much of a player anyhow.... Myself included...

Sure, Blake and Chips are older, Gilbo out of form, Gwilt injured...

It all comes down to the midfield these days... Even with out issues pointed out above, our backline is currently on par with Carltons and Hawthorns IMO... Yet these teams are tipped to be thereabout seasons end... It's all about the midfield...

If Dal, Lenny, Joey, Armo, Steven, Ledger all have career best years, Winmar, Cripps and Ross develop and play cameo roles through the middle, and CJ takes over Lings mantle as the comp's best negator, our backline will look a million bucks, and we will have a good year... If not, we'll get opened up and punished...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Our backline is one player down (baring Gwilt who will return with a month or 2) from the same backline '09 through '11...

Zac is the only player missing, with many not rating him much of a player anyhow.... Myself included...

It all comes down to the midfield these days... Even with out issues pointed out above, our backline is currently on par with Carltons and Hawthorns IMO... Yet these teams are tipped to be thereabout seasons end... It's all about the midfield...

If Dal, Lenny, Joey, Armo, Steven, Ledger all have career best years, Winmar, Cripps and Ross develop and play cameo roles through the middle, and CJ takes over Lings mantle as the comp's best negator, our backline will look a million bucks, and we will have a good year... If not, we'll get opened up and punished...
Raph and Bakes too.

I don't think it is as bad as is being made out anyways.

Our midfield is better than what has been evident in the preseason comp. Much better. I agree with the others that the ball shouldn't be flying down there so often once Lenny, Dal, BJ, Joey, Armo, Steven (Is it me, or does that still look great name wise) get their mojo back.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote: Raph... too.

...Lenny, Dal, BJ, Joey, Armo, Steven (Is it me, or does that still look great name wise) get their mojo back.
Watched the '08 semi final win v the Pies this morning... Raph was terrific, really assertive, strong, precise..

We have not seen enough of it unfortunately, and I don't think we will going forward... I don't think he'll return to these heights, so there won't be a place for him IMO...

Agreed, those names still look great on paper, and theres no reason they can't have career best years aside from Lenny...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

excuse my grammar but we are one tall short.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Our backline is one player down (baring Gwilt who will return with a month or 2) from the same backline '09 through '11...

Raph and Bakes too.

I don't think it is as bad as is being made out anyways.

Our midfield is better than what has been evident in the preseason comp. Much better. I agree with the others that the ball shouldn't be flying down there so often once Lenny, Dal, BJ, Joey, Armo, Steven (Is it me, or does that still look great name wise) get their mojo back.
We might be playing a little looser compared to the previous few years so turnovers will expose us more. Especially with a group of players that are not the greatest kickers collectively. Hopefully this resonates up forward and we get more shots on goal.

P.S if Nick Riewoldt fiddles and changes his kicking technique repeatedly this year he should be shot. It is not good enough to constantly change.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote: But I also reckon, if one assumes that Watters does not coach like Lyon, then guys who worked well as a team defence will be more exposed one on one. Thats not to say that won't improve or stand up, but based on what I watched in the NAB, there's some clear potential deficiencies. Hope I'm horribly mistaken.

Great analysis. Spot on for mine

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

King is a massive try-hard, and like most of the so-called special comments men, nearly always negative.

I never listen to him and others unless it's a televised match and they're doing comments from the boundary line, or in the box.....

Hold your ground :shock:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:If David King says we're gone, I'm suddenly filled with confidence.

Same goes with Timmy's call on Lynch...lol
I seem to remember James Begley was the future of the Saints under Watto, he's a good gauge of talent just ask him how awesome Cayden Beetheem is going to be.

David King?????? Well where do you start.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

If King isn't taking into account that we have a new coach and are developing new players into the ranks, then he is a buffoon.

Sure, the backline is a bit of a concern right now. Hopefully a little mix n' match with the playing group will remedy that. As mentioned above, Jimbo will be a most welcomed inclusion.

I think this season is all about paving a way towards a new future, hence the catch cry of "be the future".

Making the finals would be a bonus, but we just have to be patient for the start of a new era and the rebuilding process.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!