Freo Assistant Coach quits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freo Assistant Coach quits

POpcorn pleeeeeeease!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Another assistant quit hey?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Lyin failed at St Kilda and I am more than confident he will fail at Freo. He is a very capable coach at the assistant level, but his lying and absolute egoism is his downfall as a senior coach. Man's got to know his limitations, and he doesn't.

If what you said was true then there would be about 2 coaches in the AFL coaching 18 sides. I think they would be very busy. And I cant remember you ever expressing he would only be a capable assistent coach.
I've always called him Lyin and a coach who continually lies to supporters and members is never going to succeed.
He is a very capable assistant coach, but that's as far as it goes. Good luck to him, apparently his family needs the money, even if it is being obtained under false pretences.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Lyin failed at St Kilda and I am more than confident he will fail at Freo. He is a very capable coach at the assistant level, but his lying and absolute egoism is his downfall as a senior coach. Man's got to know his limitations, and he doesn't.

If what you said was true then there would be about 2 coaches in the AFL coaching 18 sides. I think they would be very busy. And I cant remember you ever expressing he would only be a capable assistent coach.
I've always called him Lyin and a coach who continually lies to supporters and members is never going to succeed.
He is a very capable assistant coach, but that's as far as it goes. Good luck to him, apparently his family needs the money, even if it is being obtained under false pretences.
Capable Assistant? Jee, i thought you had some clue. Did he lie to everyone? News to me!

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Now that is just crap. Even most Lyon hates would agree with that. Been on theturps tonight?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: ur right but my point is that ppl talk about the 09 GF as though fate denied us the GF despite everything being done perfectly minus a few sprayed kicks at goal

the coaching (amongst other things) could have been better in a few key areas. I'm not saying that it was the only thing that cost us the game but it wasn't perfect like these posts so often imply
Lyon wasn't perfect but so what? In the 09 GF we failed to capitalise on our first half forward 50 entires which would normally win 95% of all games. Now that wasn't exactly Lyons fault. He admited that if he had his time over again he would have perhaps played Ball a bit longer in the second half and that he would have tried to have pushed Fisher forward. If it was me I would have picked Gwilt instead of Dempster but I would never have played Dempster forward. I would have had him take Chapman but Lyon had his reasons and he knows his players and what he was trying to do better than me or any of us. Anyway, you talk about him making moves but he really didn't need to becuase his game plan was based on structure and it was working.

Why don't you bring up his coaching in the 2010 drawn GF and the moves he made in that game when he had to which got us back in the game? If that wasn't almost perfect coaching then what is? Why do don't you discuss the way he coached us to fight back from the gutter to get back into the eight last year? In some ways, that was just as good an effort as the previous two years.
Last edited by SaintPav on Thu 29 Mar 2012 10:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon is a very good coach; quite possibly a great coach. He did an excellent job with what he had available. Unfortunately he fell a tad short in the end. If he hadn't then we'd all be dining out on our second, and perhaps third flag, for the next decade. 

But having given it his best shot I'm not convinced he was our best option going forward. And that's mainly due to the nature of our current list, which of course he must take a fair amount of responsibility for. So I wasn't shattered that he left.

I reckon we needed a fresh approach and I just hope Scotty's the man for the job.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
skeptic wrote: ur right but my point is that ppl talk about the 09 GF as though fate denied us the GF despite everything being done perfectly minus a few sprayed kicks at goal

the coaching (amongst other things) could have been better in a few key areas. I'm not saying that it was the only thing that cost us the game but it wasn't perfect like these posts so often imply
Lyon wasn't perfect but so what? In the 09 GF we failed to capitalise on our first half forward 50 entires which would normally win 95% of all games. Now that wasn't exactly Lyons fault. He admited that if he had his time over again he would have perhaps played Ball a bit longer in the second half and that he would have tried to have pushed Fisher forward. If it was me I would have picked Gwilt instead of Dempster but I would never have played Dempster forward. I would have had him take Chapman but Lyon had his reasons and he knows his players and what he was trying to do better than me or any of us. Anyway, you talk about him making moves but he really didn't need to becuase his game plan was based on structure and it was working.

Why don't you bring up his coaching in the 2010 drawn GF and the moves he made in that game when he had to which got us back in the game? If that wasn't almost perfect coaching then what is? Why do don't you discuss the way he coached us to fight back from the gutter to get back into the eight last year? In some ways, that was just as good an effort as the previous two years.
:? :? :?
At no point am I saying he's a dud coach

You do see that I'm responding to the comment that says it was just luck we didn't win the GF? It's funny how saying he wasn't perfect in the GF rather than it being "bad luck" we lost is construed as an attack at his coaching ability

It's just one of many factors that didn't go our way on the day - this one in our control

As for that last comment... umh yeah whatever

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Teflon wrote:thats interesting...."lifestyle" smacks of "Ross now owns my lifestyle"

days off been cancelled?

Wasn't it a good thing RL worked his assisstants into the ground... And worked his players.

Might be the reason we made consecutive GFs.
We didn't win them. Ultimately he failed.

Ultimately failed but not due to lack of effort. A simple lack of talent and skills of by a bunch of at best, average players.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

:? :? :?
At no point am I saying he's a dud coach

You do see that I'm responding to the comment that says it was just luck we didn't win the GF? It's funny how saying he wasn't perfect in the GF rather than it being "bad luck" we lost is construed as an attack at his coaching ability

It's just one of many factors that didn't go our way on the day - this one in our control

As for that last comment... umh yeah whatever
Yeah, coaching is so easy isn't it skeptic..

Skeptic, I'm going to be blunt and I really don't care what anyone thinks. I have read all your posts about this and you no idea what you are talking about. You said that Lyon should have gone down a completley differnt path by playing differnt players during the year, not playing King/Gardner etc. We won 19 straight and lost a GF by two goals but king of hindsight reckons he would have done it differnently. You make some other trite point that he could have been better in a couple of other areas...welll erm, duh...You sound like a management consultant who has an opinion on how to fix everything....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.