Jason Blake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

elvis lives
Club Player

Jason Blake

Has been a great servant of this club and from 2008-2010 was a very effective defender.

However

The writing was clearly on the wall 12 months ago to the day. He is so far past it now he is catching up to Damien kitchke.

He would not get a game at 17 other clubs and if he is in our best 22 with no injuries at the start of the season then my friends we are in for a very very long year

I am marching in the Saints army
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jason Blake

He played a decent game today, not his fault that we were a goal down with 30 seconds to go…
Not a lot he could do with that kick, was trying to open it up to give us any chance of a goal.
Give him a break.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

thought he played well, that glitch aside

Nee!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

He was absolutely deplorable...

Has got his 200th, baring injury it should be his last...

Every single one of his kicks floats in the air... every second marking contest he get pinged holding the man.. His attempt at spoiling Rodan in the last q. was embarrassing..

great servant, carved out a long 10 year career, but his papers must be stamped now...

His kick across goal in the final minutes was eerily similar to his monstrous stuff up exactly 12 months ago against Geelong..

We just need to move him on now and develop someone new... Simpkin the obvious choice...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

dragit wrote:He played a decent game today, not his fault that we were a goal down with 30 seconds to go…
Not a lot he could do with that kick, was trying to open it up to give us any chance of a goal.
Give him a break.
I agree Dragit, he was good tonight, and the closing kick was a risk that had to be taken at that stage. Gears unlucky not to be paid for having his arms chopped.

So yes, Elvis is correct, the writing is on the wall, but not tonight IMHO.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
elvis lives
Club Player

If you thought he had a good game, by afl standards, then you are easily pleased. He has not got the pace or the height to compete and so gives away countless frees. His kicking has always been a liability and if he can't spoil David rodan as the loose man in defence then surely questions need to be asked.

What do we honestly gain from playing him ahead of simPkin? Is he clearly a better player or Play a different position? The answer is no on both counts. Just play the kid and hope for the best. Blake cannot improve at this point. Simpkin can and will.

He is clearly a great bloke and has had a distinguished career against all odds. But if they were the criteria for afl footballers then Harves would still be playing alongside Stewie Loewe. And Stewie Loewe he ain't

Middo
Club Player

Thanks Blakey for a great career , time to go !

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

f*** off.

Just f*** off.

I just watched that kick again and twelve months ago, we would've killed for him to kick it long like that. It was a good idea to kick it there and he probably didn't realise how quickly the port player could get there to spoil. geary probably should've held on to the mark as he got the first bite and lost control, so why no blame for him?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

can't kick at all and never has done so enjoy post-career.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:It was a good idea to kick it there and he probably didn't realise how quickly the port player could get there to spoil.
Oh, so give him leeway for not realising how quickly a Port player can get there???...

Take your own advice.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Thought he played OK

Held Butcher, who seemed out of sorts......the risk was ok, the execution of the switch was not....execution of skill never his strength...

He played a serviceable 200th

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I suppose blaming one player makes you feel better about the rest.

elvis lives
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:f*** off.

Just f*** off.

I just watched that kick again and twelve months ago, we would've killed for him to kick it long like that. It was a good idea to kick it there and he probably didn't realise how quickly the port player could get there to spoil. geary probably should've held on to the mark as he got the first bite and lost control, so why no blame for him?

It is so much more than that final kick. Although the parallels with Geelong last year are uncanny. He has a ticker the size of a soccer ball, but is too slow, too short, can't kick and makes bad decisions under pressure, which is more often than not.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

He was serviceable but there's no doubt we only kept him to a) play his 200th and b) because we're so chronically short of good defenders.

Why we didn't actively trade for defenders at trade week who were available on the cheap - such as Paul Bower, for example - remains completely beyond me.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Why arent we blaming Mcevoy, Where was he all game?
^ not that im blaming him, but seriously dont blame blake, he has done more for this club then any of you, and Held his own tonight.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

What do we gain from playing Blake ahead of Simpkin?
EVen if Blake is 5 % better (which is very debateable) - he has no updside and we are losing the opportunity for SImpkin to improve.

70s sainter
Club Player

Why would you kick across the ground like that to a contest when when you could go 50m towards OUR OWN GOAL to a contest. We all knew as soon as he kicked it that it was the wrong descision. Unforgivable by a 200 game player with average skills.

ace
Saintsational Legend

elvis lives wrote:Has been a great servant of this club and from 2008-2010 was a very effective defender.

However

The writing was clearly on the wall 12 months ago to the day. He is so far past it now he is catching up to Damien kitchke.

He would not get a game at 17 other clubs and if he is in our best 22 with no injuries at the start of the season then my friends we are in for a very very long year
You said it.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Middo
Club Player

Ralphy wrote:Why arent we blaming Mcevoy, Where was he all game?
^ not that im blaming him, but seriously dont blame blake, he has done more for this club then any of you, and Held his own tonight.

Bullshite ....!!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Was one of our better players in the first half. With rodan, how about blaming jones for running away from his man in the fifty, forcing Blake to leave his man at the last second. On the last kick he did all he could - every ball was coming right back at us and he rightly switched play. Geary had the mark for the taking and didn't. Blake deserves to play next week ahead of a fair few others.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:Why arent we blaming Mcevoy, Where was he all game?
Macca took some solid defensive marks, but often seemed to mistime his leap at centre bounces.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Love the Blake. Made some mistakes however was certainly not one of our worst. I thought of defensive talls (Blake, Fisher and Gilbert) looked pretty solid without Zac and Gwilt.

If we're going to blame anyone it should be our mids. They were deplorable and continued to be second to the ball. Hayes and Monty were both rusty and Armo and Jones irrelevant. Dal Santo and Steven were above average.

PJ
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Love the Blake. Made some mistakes however was certainly not one of our worst. I thought of defensive talls (Blake, Fisher and Gilbert) looked pretty solid without Zac and Gwilt.

If we're going to blame anyone it should be our mids. They were deplorable and continued to be second to the ball. Hayes and Monty were both rusty and Armo and Jones irrelevant. Dal Santo and Steven were above average.
Pretty much how i saw it to. Defence was reasonable considering we got smashed in the clearances. Lenny you expect to be a bit rusty but Monty had a night to forget.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

elvis lives wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:f*** off.

Just f*** off.

It is so much more than that final kick. Although the parallels with Geelong last year are uncanny. He has a ticker the size of a soccer ball, but is too slow, too short, can't kick and makes bad decisions under pressure, which is more often than not.
I agree with the sentiments of your post with that its not due to just that kick, and yes for a while now, i feel the writing has been on the wall and though he might have done some great things for us in the past, it really is time to move on, but people lambasting him for that when what he did last year for example is far worse is juast something I can't even fathom.

Then again, St Kilda fans are pathetic. They eat their own far worse than Richmond, Collingwood or anyone else. I'm not singling any one poster out for it because we all do it.

Jason Blake, Raph Clarke, Farren Ray, Clint Jones... the list goes on.

Why can't we maybe support the team instead of blasting every one of our players individually? Footy used to be about going to the matches to cheer on your boys, and you know what, it kind of still is.... but we just go there to hang s*** on the entire team.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I honestly thought our ruck duals made Blake look like a brownlow medalist tonight. To single out Blake borders on insanity...no offence.