The Jumper

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

The Jumper

Surely I'm not the only one who thought the jumper looked awful , why not just stick with the wider middle panel instead of what looks like a netball bib

Darren
Club Player

Re: The Jumper

I think that this years clash is much better than last years

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Darren wrote:I think that this years clash is much better than last years
:D :wink:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

IMHO...

I see absolutely no need for clash jumpers. They were never an issue for over 100 years. :evil:

Secondly, the skunks who have one of the most boring and unimaginative jumpers going around, get to defy the AFL and not wear one, so why does anyone else need a clash jumper??? :evil:

Finally, if we really must have one(!?!), then it should be the wonderful heritage jumper. For the white jumper lovers, why not change the back of the jumper from black to white (also a heritage jumper)?

All other alternate saint's strips I've seen are horrible - with first (booby) prize going to that 1997 abomination. :evil:

We have easily the best jumper in the league - we should stand up for it, and not mess with it.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
mcadam05
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:IMHO...

I see absolutely no need for clash jumpers. They were never an issue for over 100 years. :evil:

Secondly, the skunks who have one of the most boring and unimaginative jumpers going around, get to defy the AFL and not wear one, so why does anyone else need a clash jumper??? :evil:

Finally, if we really must have one(!?!), then it should be the wonderful heritage jumper. For the white jumper lovers, why not change the back of the jumper from black to white (also a heritage jumper)?

All other alternate saint's strips I've seen are horrible - with first (booby) prize going to that 1997 abomination. :evil:

We have easily the best jumper in the league - we should stand up for it, and not mess with it.
Well said

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:

Well said

There is every need for clash jumpers. Every other sport in the world enforces lights against darks.

And that argument is so void unless you want to continue living in the 1960's.

mcadam05
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:

Well said

There is every need for clash jumpers. Every other sport in the world enforces lights against darks.

if it was 1960 we would win flag with in 6yrs i would love that ;)

here in 2012 i have no trouble with us having a away jumper but the one we wore yesterday looked cheap and 2nd rate , what did the players mums spend last week sawing on the bib's

thumbs down on the jumper but i did love the socks big stripes with white tops AWESOME!

oh when the
Club Player

They shrunk the emblem a fair bit too.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Spinner wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:

Well said

Hi Spinner, I have to disagree this time.

Jumpers clashing was never an issue till the marketers thought they saw a $-sign in the mid 1990's. Even in the days of black and white telly, I could tell apart Tuggers and Bummers, Skunks and North of Melb. All you need is to stick with the black or white shorts (= lights against darks).

(BTW, which team do we 'clash' with if we chose from the three traditional jumpers I listed above?)

I can't see the problem.

The problem I can see is the degrading of our wonderful and unique jumper with it being substituted for a series of stupid and meaningless 'clash' strips. Even the Skunks respect their jumper enough to refuse to change. The Bumblers go a step further, and actually have it in their club's constitution that the basic concept (black with red Nazi sash) cannot be changed.

If a club doesn't have pride in the jumper, it has nothing... :(

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Disagree 100%.

The game is so fast that players need to be able to distinguish their teammates as easily and quickly as possible. Shorts and socks don't cut it, that's old age thinking...

Recognisabity is far quicker for the peripheral vision usin light and dark. That's science.

This allows a better game, quicker discisions and less errors.

Coupled with and not the main points, allowing better viewing.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Disagree 100%.

The game is so fast that players need to be able to distinguish their teammates as easily and quickly as possible. Shorts and socks don't cut it, that's old age thinking...
Why make it easier for them??? A bit like motorsports in the wet - far more fun. :wink:

Ok, so we disagree (100%) on the 'clash' issue, but I still can't see which of our opponents' jumpers cash, whoops I mean clash, with all of the the three traditional jumpers I mentioned above?

And secondly, how come the Filth and the Bummers value their boring jumpers more than we do our wonderful tri-colour/ tri-panel?

Pride in the jumper...

thequarry
Club Player

I don't mind this jumper too much at all - it's certainly better than the 2007/08 and 2011 clash jumpers. Finally, a clash jumper with a lot more red in it, as opposed to white with a bit of red, and more black. It would be perfect if it had solid red and black panels like the home jumper does (or the horizontal strip of the cross was the same dimensions as the white panel!).

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

i have great trouble understanding how people can manage to get so worked up over jumper designs.

i didn't realise there were so many fashion experts on this board. how can you bring yourself to care?

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:i have great trouble understanding how people can manage to get so worked up over jumper designs.

i didn't realise there were so many fashion experts on this board. how can you bring yourself to care?
Hi Bergs, for me it's about history and tradition dating back ~135 years. IMHO that is worth something. It is one thing that's separates us from all these plastic artifical 'clubs' the league has dreamed up recently.

If you want to take your argument (re jumper designs being unimportant) to the next logical step, then we may as well front up to the Suns of Beaches this week wearing the Skunk's stripping...

One problem though... for all their failings as a club and as human beings, the Filth care about their jumper...

PS: I've been called many things, but never have been, nor expect to be, called a fashion expert. :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
bergholt wrote:i have great trouble understanding how people can manage to get so worked up over jumper designs.

Hi Bergs, for me it's about history and tradition dating back ~135 years. IMHO that is worth something. It is one thing that's separates us from all these plastic artifical 'clubs' the league has dreamed up recently.

If you want to take your argument (re jumper designs being unimportant) to the next logical step, then we may as well front up to the Suns of Beaches this week wearing the Skunk's stripping...

One problem though... for all their failings as a club and as human beings, the Filth care about their jumper...

PS: I've been called many things, but never have been, nor expect to be, called a fashion expert. :wink:

But we have had many jumpers over the last 135 years. We even had different colours.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:But we have had many jumpers over the last 135 years. We even had different colours.
Hi Plugger, that's sorta of true... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda_Football_Club

But looking closer, the WW1 change from white to yellow was coz the Germans pinched our colours. After WW1 they then pinched them again by substituting the white for yellow, hence allowing us to reclaim our true colours shortly(ish) after the war.

As I mentioned above, the circa 1997 jumper was an abomination and was (fortunately) never embraced. So taking out those abborations, the heritage and tri-panel jumpers have been what our boys have worn for almost 135 of years.

For me that means something and should never be messed with.

PS: I'd love to see the sanctity of our jumper made a part of our club's constitution, just as the Bummers had the forsight to do.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ok, was at the game, ground level low down, sun in the eyes (sunny's on to help) so degree of difficultly picking apart players was high, but had no trouble on Sunday.

Therefore, the clash jumper is working well.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure why the Bomber's constitution is relevant. If the league dictates that the Bombers have to wear a proper clash jumper, the Bombers need to change their constitution or get out of the AFL. We could change our constitution so that we had 22 players plus 10 subs for every game. Maybe that would work.

I'm quite happy for us to wear clash jumpers as the away team every time the league deems it necessary for a greater spectacle but we should always stick with our home jumper and black shorts for home games.

And is there any chance of us picking one design and sticking with it for a home jumper? Every year it seems to change some subtle aspect especially around the collar and sleeves.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:I'm not sure why the Bomber's constitution is relevant. If the league dictates that the Bombers have to wear a proper clash jumper, the Bombers need to change their constitution or get out of the AFL. We could change our constitution so that we had 22 players plus 10 subs for every game. Maybe that would work.

I'm quite happy for us to wear clash jumpers as the away team every time the league deems it necessary for a greater spectacle but we should always stick with our home jumper and black shorts for home games.

And is there any chance of us picking one design and sticking with it for a home jumper? Every year it seems to change some subtle aspect especially around the collar and sleeves.
Stop using logic when talking about a Big Melbourne Club.

Surely you should know now that different rules exist for different teams??!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: ...If the league dictates that the Bombers have to wear a proper clash jumper, the Bombers need to change their constitution or get out of the AFL...
Hi Kosi, when the issue came up a couple of years ago, neither of those two outcomes occured - because of Essndumb's constitution. That makes the constitution very relevant.

And once again, jumper clashes were never an issue till suddenly in the mid 90's = they are not an issue.

We have easily the best jumper, and should stand up for it like the Skunks and Bummers do for their strips.

It's called pride in the jumper.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
kosifantutti wrote: ...If the league dictates that the Bombers have to wear a proper clash jumper, the Bombers need to change their constitution or get out of the AFL...
Hi Kosi, when the issue came up a couple of years ago, neither of those two outcomes occured - because of Essndumb's constitution. That makes the constitution very relevant.

I don't think it had anything to do with the Bombers constitution. It's just that the AFL were too weak to push the issue and accepted whatever lame excuse they came up with as a clash jumper.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

So your only argument is that it's been like that for 100 years so there is no reason to change....

The game is fast now and there is a clash... Maybe this is a concept that was too complex 100 years ago when jumpers were designed but like nearly every other game in the world... Yes nearly every other game in the world, jumper clashes are addressed appropriately.

Everyone loves the home jumper, but you know what. Thats not enough, especially for the good of the game.

The only people who don't support clash jumpers are just stubborn people that just want to keep things they way they are for the only reason of keeping things the way they are.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I don't have a problem with clash jumpers. As long as I can get to see my team out there each week, in some combination of Red, White & Black, then I'm happy. The demise of South Melbourne and Fitzroy remind me there are more important things than jumper design.

But what irks me, and I suspect many others, is the situation concerning teams such as Collingwood and Essendon. If the AFL would only stand up to these clubs and insist on true alternative strips, then I'm sure a lot of the heat would go out of the issue.

It's simple a matter of fairness and equality.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The jumper looked OK to me...

it was the team that looked off as i recall....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Honestly can't believe some people still claim that Collingwood don't have a clash jumper, without a doubt the silliest mistruth you will ever hear about footy and it is thrown around so often.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!