The future!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: The future!!

tweedaletomanning wrote:Look, with the benefit of hindsight we have made some woeful decisions, the loss of ball being the worst.

Clubs that DON'T stuff up at draft time win flags!!!

Clubs that DON'T give away club captains and champions, win flags.

Our future is bright as long as we KNOW how to use the free agency system.

Have we got the RIGHT people in charge??? I am not talking about Watters, and not talking about Pelchin

I worry about Nettlefold as I beleive he really is not up to the position he is employed for.
nettlefold started running st kilda in april 2009. since then we've had three good drafts. ball left six months into nettlefold's tenure but i'm not sure how much of that is on him and how much on lyon. free agency - since no-one has had a change to exploit that system in any way i'm not sure you can decide on that basis.

so why then is nettlefold a bad ceo?

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Buckets wrote:Nettlefold is not in any way responsible for who we do or do not draft or re-sign. To think otherwise it's to over rate the position of CEO.
Is he responsible for anything then?

How about the loss of Lyon? No? Not his responsibility?

How about the $1.5 mill loss? No? Not his department?

What about the dramatic drop in membership? No?

How about lack of Major sponsors? No? Doing a good job is he?

Geez then What the hell is he responsible for?

You'd think $800k per year would get you someone who be responsible for something, surely!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Look, with the benefit of hindsight we have made some woeful decisions, the loss of ball being the worst.

Have we got the RIGHT people in charge??? I am not talking about Watters, and not talking about Pelchin

I worry about Nettlefold as I beleive he really is not up to the position he is employed for.
nettlefold started running st kilda in april 2009. since then we've had three good drafts. ball left six months into nettlefold's tenure but i'm not sure how much of that is on him and how much on lyon. free agency - since no-one has had a change to exploit that system in any way i'm not sure you can decide on that basis.

so why then is nettlefold a bad ceo?
Geez I don't know?

Guess we didn't lose the second most successful coach the club ever had then.

Guess a club captain and champion didn't just walk out on the club and win a flag instantly with someone else then.

Guess we didn't just lose $1.5million after the most successful period of the clubs history?

But none of those are part of his responsibility!

What is he responsible for then?

Yeah your right, he is doing a great job! :roll: :roll: :roll:

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

spert wrote:

I guess its Nettlefold's fault that a few of our players didn't want to win the hard ball against PA?
Umm ok, don' t think you quite getting it...

Buckets
SS Life Member

tweedaletomanning wrote:
spert wrote:

I guess its Nettlefold's fault that a few of our players didn't want to win the hard ball against PA?
Umm ok, don' t think you quite getting it...

No I don't think you quite get it!

Nettlefold has no say what so ever in determining who gets drafted traded or re-signed. FULL STOP

That is the role of the Football department. And Pelchin has been appointed to do that!

The person to blame for Ball walking....Lyon - Surprise Surprise it isn't Nettlefold!

Lyon walking has probably been a good thing in the end. The state that the list is in goes to show that he wasn't the best coach he has been made out to be. I made the observation a couple of days ago, isn't it surprising that Lyon has found himself a new gig with a list that is already there but just needs a few tweaks or additions and not a complete overhaul! And he has done so by leaving us with the most inexperienced group of under 25 yr olds in the comp among the established teams.

Nettlefold to blame for players stupidity over the preseason in 2011?

Nettlefold responsible for Milne letting that ball go through for a behind instead of grabbing it and kicking a goal in GF1 2010!

Yes he has fumbled the ball on a couple of things. However, the club has been hard at changing it's image and getting sponsors to back the club. But just focus on the negatives you perceive. It's easier that way.

Fair Dinkum!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
groupie1
Club Player

I reckon it might be fair to say with Gram, as-selected Ray, Schneids out that Watters is making a statement that you need to earn your way into the team. He selected Milera, Stanley, Ledger, Cripps. Got Blake's 200 out of the way. So give him the benefit of the doubt that if he thought Simpkin, Siposs and Saad had earned their way in they'd have played. (Ignore this point if some of these players were injured and unavailable). CLEARLY, Polo, Ray, Geary, Jones and Peake retaining spots suggests we won't win the flag.; if they're in the best 22. The entire team looked tired on Sunday. Polo looked out of his league; Jones the same; Ray and Peake not hardworking enough; Geary an earnest tryer with awful disposal.. I'm not an Armitage fan, either, (the pace problem), but i thought he was good. But I still think he wants to be only just your 22nd best guy at worst if you're going to trouble the top 4.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

No I don't think you quite get it!

Nettlefold has no say what so ever in determining who gets drafted traded or re-signed. FULL STOP

That is the role of the Football department. And Pelchin has been appointed to do that!

The person to blame for Ball walking....Lyon - Surprise Surprise it isn't Nettlefold!

Lyon walking has probably been a good thing in the end. The state that the list is in goes to show that he wasn't the best coach he has been made out to be. I made the observation a couple of days ago, isn't it surprising that Lyon has found himself a new gig with a list that is already there but just needs a few tweaks or additions and not a complete overhaul! And he has done so by leaving us with the most inexperienced group of under 25 yr olds in the comp among the established teams.

Nettlefold responsible for Milne letting that ball go through for a behind instead of grabbing it and kicking a goal in GF1 2010!

Yes he has fumbled the ball on a couple of things. However, the club has been hard at changing it's image and getting sponsors to back the club. But just focus on the negatives you perceive. It's easier that way.

Fair Dinkum![/quote]

STUPID comment!! Who said ANYTHING about the 2010 GF and Milne?

Is he not responsible for the people under him?

Yep, your right, he's not responsible for anything, as a matter of fact lets blame EVERYONE else but Nettlefold!! He's doing a great job at what he does (whatever the hell that is)

Please tell us what YOU think he is responsible for then...

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

No more Jones, he costs goals.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:I reckon it might be fair to say with Gram, as-selected Ray, Schneids out that Watters is making a statement that you need to earn your way into the team. He selected Milera, Stanley, Ledger, Cripps. Got Blake's 200 out of the way. So give him the benefit of the doubt that if he thought Simpkin, Siposs and Saad had earned their way in they'd have played. (Ignore this point if some of these players were injured and unavailable). CLEARLY, Polo, Ray, Geary, Jones and Peake retaining spots suggests we won't win the flag.; if they're in the best 22. The entire team looked tired on Sunday. Polo looked out of his league; Jones the same; Ray and Peake not hardworking enough; Geary an earnest tryer with awful disposal.. I'm not an Armitage fan, either, (the pace problem), but i thought he was good. But I still think he wants to be only just your 22nd best guy at worst if you're going to trouble the top 4.

Jones and Geary were better than Armo in that game, that was probably the worst game I've seen Armo play he wasn't good. Same with big mac, same with Peake. Polo did keep Danyle Pearce quiet as someone else said which is thier Shaw or running backman so I thought did ok. Steven was a much more costly turn over king in that game but did some great stuff as well as did Geary. If Armo is our 22 player that is a good thing but I think he needs to get into our top 10 and win the hard ball out of the centre if we are to be a serious contender. Peake carried us through our awful patch last year and did have a shocker though. So we had several players missing from our best backline, several players down on form, terrible umpiring and the game could have fallen our way.

sax
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:The short term future is very bleak for the Saints - Mr LYON has left us with a blotted history and all sorts of trouble going forward.

Can you tell me apart from the Lovett pick what picks we gave away that would have probably got us some good players. he also got Dempster and Schneider wo are now both 2 of our better players. We are struggling because the draft and salary cap does that and also 3 years of very poor drafting leaving us with a huge gap in 20 to 22 year olds.

And gave away Luke Ball for nothing!

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Yeah but the Messiah said he could only play six minutes at a time, and couldn't spread.(whatever that means)

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood are struggling with what we went through, Mc carthy would have been handy for them instead they played Yagmoor who had donuts on the stat sheet. The amazing thing about Geelong is their players playing for less, it means guys like Byrnes, Stokes etc. can be back up players when a senior player goes down. most melbourne clubs would have lost those guys in the second tier to keep the senior list in tact.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Quite clearly our worst performing players were Ray and Peake. They'll be the guys to get the chop at the selection table. Polo unlucky to be suspended cos he was more than serviceable. Poor bloke may find it hard to get back into the team if all the mids/smalls play well against the Suns which is a strong possibility. Armo was poor however tried hard, couldn't get his hands on the pill however laid some bone crunching tackles. Effort from him was there and that'll be his saving grace IMO. Jones similar to Armo, barely safe but safe. Steven butchered a few kicks however did a lot of grunt work so his poor efficiency is to be expected. Got plenty of it as well and laid a tone of tackles. Of the experienced mids Dal and Goddard were in the very good category, Hayes down by his standards however still serviceable and a very good game considering it's his first since coming back from injury. Joey was poor but he has the runs on the board. Overall I thought our forward and back lines did quite admirably. Our forwards took the most of their opportunities (barely 40 inside 50 entries) and our backs did extremely well considering how often and quickly the ball was coming down from the centre clearances. I'd be very surprised if any of the forwards or backs are dropped. Make no mistake it's the mids that are on notice.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:Guess we didn't lose the second most successful coach the club ever had then.
if nettlefold had paid way too much to keep him then he'd be culpable. if lyon has an offer which is well above what we deem his worth then the club just cannot pay it. anything else would be plain wrong.
tweedaletomanning wrote:Guess a club captain and champion didn't just walk out on the club and win a flag instantly with someone else then.
so that was nettlefold's fault not lyon's?
tweedaletomanning wrote:Guess we didn't just lose $1.5million after the most successful period of the clubs history?
sorry, why do footy clubs need to make money? where do the "profits" go? the shareholders? the supporters? the afl?

footy clubs should lose money. if you're spending less than other clubs then you're behind. and if you lose a bit of money then the afl will bail you out. so why not spend as much as you possibly can?

Richter
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Make no mistake it's the mids that are on notice.
Yep. Backed up by the stats too. As well as i50s, clearances were a problem, especially early on, as were contested possessions. All of these are indicators of primarily midfield performance.

Therefore the two young players moat likely to make an impact here... Ledger and Ross.

So they are my picks to come in to the side. Out go Polo and Ray.

I wouldn't mind Winmar and Simpkin in as well for Peake and Blake, but think that more than 2 changes is too many at this stage and neither is likely to help with the midfield issues.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Buckets
SS Life Member

tweedaletomanning wrote:No I don't think you quite get it!

Fair Dinkum!
STUPID comment!! Who said ANYTHING about the 2010 GF and Milne?

Is he not responsible for the people under him?

Yep, your right, he's not responsible for anything, as a matter of fact lets blame EVERYONE else but Nettlefold!! He's doing a great job at what he does (whatever the hell that is)

Please tell us what YOU think he is responsible for then...[/quote]

Yep the CEO runs the footy department.... :roll:

Would love to see Ian Robson go into Hirdy and Bombers offices and tell them exactly how to play who to play and where!!!!!! And while he is at it tell them that they have to trade out Ryder at the end of the year!

Have you ever thought that perhaps that is the role of the FOOTBALL DEPARTMENT?

The CEO is responsible for the off-field sections of the club, revenue, memberships , sponsors etc. And this is where he needs to improve. But hell to blame him for everything is naive!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you