Official: McEVOY worst tap ruckman in competition

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

Re: Official: McEVOY worst tap ruckman in competition

WinnersOnly wrote:Wheres the link to the stats? Gees I wonder how they measure those stats (hitting at your feet must be to advantage). I repeat we did not have one score resulting from a tap and clearance started by Ben McEvoy - Port had 10 by there ruckmen.
You are so agenda driven that you cannot take the blinkers off and see that Ben actually wasnt that bad!

When confronted with the stats you resort to belittling those who prove you wrong.

Fair Dinkum!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Wheres the link to the stats? Gees I wonder how they measure those stats (hitting at your feet must be to advantage). I repeat we did not have one score resulting from a tap and clearance started by Ben McEvoy - Port had 10 by there ruckmen.
You are so agenda driven that you cannot take the blinkers off and see that Ben actually wasnt that bad!

When confronted with the stats you resort to belittling those who prove you wrong.

Fair Dinkum!
The big fella was extremely poor in the area he is employed in...the ruck. Surely we can agree that we need to address this issue.

(Agree that the OP has gone over the top).

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Was awful in this aspect early last season, but got better quick enough to suggest he could become a premier ruck. Needs to work at it a lot, but is worth persevering with. Which is not what my opinion was a year ago.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desperate saint
Club Player

I am with winners only on this topic ALL SPORTS are about timing Ben simply does not have that timing as far as tap work goes !the good news is Stanley does and can be a truly dominant ruckman for years to come, that was very evident against port and if it wasn't evident to you then maybe you dont understand the finer points of footy.

Desperate Saint
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

One game people, one game.

HOLD YOUR FIRE!

:)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:McEvoy is developing slowly but surely and did a reasonable job the other night.
Should be ready to peak by the time he's 29 at his current rate of progress..should also be a new squad by then.
He may even find himself as second ruck if the recruiters are on the money over the next 5 years...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have high hopes still for Ben and expect improvement. I wonder if the new ruck coach told him to just get first hands on it and not worry about where it goes for now or something? Was a stinker of a game by Ben's standards but he wasn't alone. His confidence was dented after his corralling in the backline I think. We need to get someone in to help down there, come on Simpkin demand a spot.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:cant tap, CAN MARK!
doubt it. Keep posting though. I like a good laugh.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:

Fair Dinkum!
The stats are a quote by Plugger which he still hasn't verified the source.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
hAyES
Club Player

No doubt in my mind Macca is the worst tap ruckmen in the league. It's always been a massive flaw in his game and he hasn't shown any improvement. I'm not sure his around the ground work is good enough to make up for that.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Fair Dinkum!
The stats are a quote by Plugger which he still hasn't verified the source.

Sorry the official AFL stats. What about your stats because I cant find those stats at all in the official AFL stats. All I know is Ben had no scoring involvements and their ruckman had one so I would love to see where you got yours from.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:No doubt in my mind Macca is the worst tap ruckmen in the league. It's always been a massive flaw in his game and he hasn't shown any improvement. I'm not sure his around the ground work is good enough to make up for that.
We haven't had many good home grown rucks since Everitt so I think we forget how long they take. We could have had that Lauchie Henderson that was at Brissie and was the swap for Fev. We had him pencilled in as a long term CHF option as a succession plan before Brissie passed on Mac. Henderson is still a work n progress also so maybe be patient. It's a shame we couldn't have made a play for Bellchambers, he could be another Mumford type who just dominates in a couple of years. There is always Staley or Jay Lever hopefully someone is filling them full of Steak and chips to bulk them up.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

[ Fair Dinkum![/quote]

The stats are a quote by Plugger which he still hasn't verified the source.[/quote]

Sorry the official AFL stats. What about your stats because I cant find those stats at all in the official AFL stats. All I know is Ben had no scoring involvements and their ruckman had one so I would love to see where you got yours from.[/quote]

I was that disappointed with his efforst Plugger I sat and counted Port clearances myself - again the veracity of your quoted stats is questionable. Below is the Advanced Stats from the AFL site and I cant seem find Hit out to Advantage Stats any where within the site?

K
Kicks
H
Handballs
D
Disposals
CP
Contested Possessions
UP
Uncontested Possessions
DE%
Effective Disposal Percentage
Clg
Clangers
M
Marks

CM
Contested Marks
M50
Marks Inside 50
HO
Hit-outs
CL
Clearances
i50
Inside 50s
R50
Rebound 50s
FF
Free kick for
FA
Free kicks against
T
Tackles

1%
One percenters
BO
Bounces

G
Goals
B
Behinds
TG%
Time on Ground Percentage
GA
Goal Assists
DT
Toyota AFL Dream Team points

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

'Winnersonly"
I have no problem with you debating your feeling that Ben is not a good Tap ruckman in the First game of the season.
or if you wish to debate his strengths and weaknesses

My problem is just with the thread heading- it is official only on the stats one game- both 'WORST' and 'Official" are not proven ,
yes debate where he needs to work harder but to 'Declare" as you have will always engender vigourous reactions. and maybe that was your intention.

BUt as always I would prefer if people offered areas for improvments or options... rather than slamming .. and downgrading. but thats the way I work and why your heading atleast is not to my likeing.

Personally I believe Ben is still developing and has wider value than a few tap outs.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ThePunter
Club Player

First of all, saying someone is the worst tap ruckman in the league and will never improve is the opposite of constructive criticism.

Secondly, he is decidedly better than a "reasonable contested mark".

Legendary
Club Player

25% of his hit outs were to advantage.

SOURCE: Champion Data Statistics, Herald Sun, April 2nd 2012

That was the highest of any ruckman on the ground.

Furthermore, he also had the highest total number of hit outs of any ruckman on the ground.

SOURCE: Champion Data Statistics, Herald Sun, April 2nd 2012.

I fail to see how this is a poor performance.

He also took 10 marks.

Oh, and he's also only 22. Have a look at Darren Jolly at age 22.

Legendary
Club Player

You blame McEvoy for our inability to score from stoppages.

And yet we had the worst contested possession differential of ANY SIDE IN THE COMPETITION in Round 1.

SOURCE: The Age, Sports Section, April 2 2012.

Yes that's right. Gold Coast and GWS had more contested possessions compared with their opponent than St Kilda did.

You don't think this might have a SMALL IMPACT on our inability to score from stoppages?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:First of all, saying someone is the worst tap ruckman in the league and will never improve is the opposite of constructive criticism.

Secondly, he is decidedly better than a "reasonable contested mark".
First of all I justified why I thought he is the worst 'tap ruckman' because he has no awareness and the reason he cant improve (meaning to become a quality ruckman rather than negator) is he has absolutely no leap. His opponents jump a metre higher than he does.

Secondly - that is your opinion re his marking and I am allowed mine. Again to qualify the statement most of the marks he took were against much smaller opponents or none at all. To correctly measure his marking abilities watch him against the other ruckman in the competition - he would be lucky to win 25% of those contested marks again due to his lack of leap!

Regarding the hit outs to advantage stats - you have to wonder how they quantify/gather those stats. How many of the hit outs won resulted in a runaway clearance or a scoring shot = none. You could argue that was the fault of the midfielders but a dominant ruckman eg Cox tends to make his mids look good - Ben doesn't. As we all know stats are generally very misguiding or I watched the wrong game. The other thing to consider that REDDEN only played 3/4 of the game.

To qualify the OFFICIAL tag again - it was just an indication of my frustration with him not being able to manage what should be a simple task of hitting the ball to a team mate. If I was his ruck coach I would send him off to learn how to direct the ball in the air playing basketball or volleyball.
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Wed 04 Apr 2012 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary
Club Player

WinnersOnly:

You don't think our contested possession differential had a massive impact on our inability to score from stoppages?

McEvoy was getting his hand to the ball first. The placement of his tap work is also partially the responsibility of the midfield - i.e. he may have been executing exactly to plan, and our midfielders may have been poorly positioned or being blocked by their opponents.

Perhaps the stoppage work of the Port midfielders was superior to the Saints?

Perhaps Port had planned all week to read McEvoy's taps instead of their own as part of their strategy to beat us?

A number of times last year McEvoy combined with Dal Santo and Montagna with terrific taps to advantage, many of which often lead to goals for the Saints. He had an outstanding year in 2011 for a 21-year old ruck man.

Give the bloke a break.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote: The other thing to consider that REDDEN only played 3/4 of the game.
Obviously he was taken off because he was dominating the game and his opponent had done nothing.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Sorry Legendary again I disagree to say he had an outstanding year in 2011 is misguided. Yes he is 21 - how old is Natinui or Goldstein - to make excuses because of his age just lets our recruiters and list managers off the hook. If he is not up to it he should be playing at Sandi and developing. Port Adelaides Ruckman REDDEN also 21 y/o was playing his first AFL game he got 21 hit outs in 3/4 of a game which he probably played only %50 game time compared to McEvoys 80% game time. He easily beat McEvoy in at least one marking contest I remember there may have been more.

As far as McEvoy executing a plan - if hitting to the oppoisition was included he got it %100 correct. Even if the midfield are not in place a ruckman with awareness will know that and adjust to direct the ball accordlingly. I'm sorry and I know its only my opinion but he is a very poor sometimes dumb ruckman!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

when u learn the diff between their and there and show us some decent stats like from pro stats...then ill actually discuss if ben is the worst tap ruckman in the league...after one f****** round

skfc17
Club Player

round 1.
its a good thing some of the posters on here arent a part of the selection process, or we have no one next week

Carn the mighty Sainters
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

skfc17 wrote:round 1.
its a good thing some of the posters on here arent a part of the selection process, or we have no one next week
We'd have Walsh!

Oops, forgot :oops:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:[ Fair Dinkum!
The stats are a quote by Plugger which he still hasn't verified the source.[/quote]

Sorry the official AFL stats. What about your stats because I cant find those stats at all in the official AFL stats. All I know is Ben had no scoring involvements and their ruckman had one so I would love to see where you got yours from.[/quote]

I was that disappointed with his efforst Plugger I sat and counted Port clearances myself - again the veracity of your quoted stats is questionable. Below is the Advanced Stats from the AFL site and I cant seem find Hit out to Advantage Stats any where within the site?

K
Kicks
H
Handballs
D
Disposals
CP
Contested Possessions
UP
Uncontested Possessions
DE%
Effective Disposal Percentage