Watters he thinking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Watters he thinking

Saints may sacrifice star

ST KILDA coach Scott Watters hasn't ruled out trading a big-name player in his quest to guide the club to its next premiership.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
Last edited by bobmurray on Mon 09 Apr 2012 4:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters he thinking

"I'm not going to rule anything out.

So add to the list recruiting Ablett, Buddy and Sandlilands.......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He said he wouldn't rule it out so the headline is out of context but that is the way of the world...I wish the AFL would stop reporting. They are not a media organisation but I guess it must be great for footy.... :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

non story.
why would he rule anything out.
fact is if we dont win this year we are out of contention for the next 5-7 years.
thats the rebuild stage.

defacto
Club Player

terrible headline. actually listen to what he said

hAyES
Club Player

He said you'd like to keep all your good players but its important you don't sell the farm to keep one player. Nothing wrong with that.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:He said you'd like to keep all your good players but its important you don't sell the farm to keep one player. Nothing wrong with that.
If it does happen it would be nice not to waste a high 1st round draft pick , to actually pick up a real quality player....

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

"Watters not ruling out invading Pakistan"

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:"Watters not ruling out invading Pakistan"
With the current list or the next group of draft picks...

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I listened to that interview. Talk about manipulating what someone said for a story... Hilarious... He was pretty much backed into a corner to say something and it's been totally scewed. Reminds me of why I now pay zero attention to any of the media.

damienc
Club Player

We have a very smart coach who pretty much tells it like it is. We live in the age of free agency. When players come out of contract and get big offers clubs are going to struggle to hold on to their stars. St Kilda is no exception. We might lose BJ or Sammy Gilbert or whoever else is out of contract when the time comes and the club can't make them an offer that will compete with the likes of GSW or GCS. But make no mistake every club is in the same boat.The Saints might lose a star but the Magpies might lose Cloke. If that happens you won't hear the end of it from those low life magpie supporters. At the end of the day it is something the club and we as supporters are going to have to deal with and get used to. Watters was just making the point that you don't sell the farm to keep one star player, and he's right. The much bigger point he was making is that St Kilda needs a succession plan. As everyone on this forum likes to point out, our stars are getting older and we need to develop new ones to replace them. And from what I have seen so far that plan is pretty well on target with our crop of newbees which is a very good thing IMO.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:We have a very smart coach who pretty much tells it like it is. We live in the age of free agency. When players come out of contract and get big offers clubs are going to struggle to hold on to their stars. St Kilda is no exception. We might lose BJ or Sammy Gilbert or whoever else is out of contract when the time comes and the club can't make them an offer that will compete with the likes of GSW or GCS. But make no mistake every club is in the same boat.The Saints might lose a star but the Magpies might lose Cloke. If that happens you won't hear the end of it from those low life magpie supporters. At the end of the day it is something the club and we as supporters are going to have to deal with and get used to. Watters was just making the point that you don't sell the farm to keep one star player, and he's right. The much bigger point he was making is that St Kilda needs a succession plan. As everyone on this forum likes to point out, our stars are getting older and we need to develop new ones to replace them. And from what I have seen so far that plan is pretty well on target with our crop of newbees which is a very good thing IMO.
Good post

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Monty would be an interesting discussion

good player but past his best, may have some decent market value for a club pushing for a flag - decent value

saintly
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:We have a very smart coach who pretty much tells it like it is. We live in the age of free agency. When players come out of contract and get big offers clubs are going to struggle to hold on to their stars. St Kilda is no exception. We might lose BJ or Sammy Gilbert or whoever else is out of contract when the time comes and the club can't make them an offer that will compete with the likes of GSW or GCS. But make no mistake every club is in the same boat.The Saints might lose a star but the Magpies might lose Cloke. If that happens you won't hear the end of it from those low life magpie supporters. At the end of the day it is something the club and we as supporters are going to have to deal with and get used to. Watters was just making the point that you don't sell the farm to keep one star player, and he's right. The much bigger point he was making is that St Kilda needs a succession plan. As everyone on this forum likes to point out, our stars are getting older and we need to develop new ones to replace them. And from what I have seen so far that plan is pretty well on target with our crop of newbees which is a very good thing IMO.

very good post!!!

Mooksy
Club Player

Hasn't anyone else found another part of that article somewhat disturbing? The comment referring to next premiership "might be three to five years" away. I know he doesn't rule out anything but isn't that a bit defeatist? Or is he just a realist? Anyway I'm happy with the choice if Watters but I would hope they do think anything could happen this year.....and that includes a flag. Unlikely but sheesh....I hope they are playing for a flag this year and believe it could happen. Otherwise, why should I bother? no one thought the cats were a flag threat early 07. Things can click. Am I just jumping at shadows here? And it would be really interesting to know what in fact are the internal expectations for this year. Anyone care to offer a guess?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:Or is he just a realist?
I think so…
Our best 10 players are probably past their peak now…

Every time I hear Riewoldt speak he seems to be setting the bar pretty low, "Hopefully a new captain can step-up next year" "don't expect me to be the player I was" etc etc

We have barely any replacements ready to go (21-26 YO) from such poor recruiting.

We are short a key back, a back-up ruckman and a young medium/tall forward or two. Pretty much the works. Our midfield is still decent but they are all either around 20 or 30…

I'm sure they will strive to win every game, but are realistic that we have aged and slowed down, while other sides have got faster and better…

Sides better than us this year will probably be Pies, Cats, Hawks, Eagles, Blues & potentially 5-6 others IMO,

such is life as ben cousins would say… (& some bushranger)

Mooksy
Club Player

I'm depressed now. I seem to be expecting more from us than most this year and that's saying something because I am a pessimist. How sapping. Footy sucks.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:such is life as ben cousins would say… (& some bushranger)
But then again Lenny Kravitz might say, "It Ain't Over 'til It's Over" :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:I'm depressed now. I seem to be expecting more from us than most this year and that's saying something because I am a pessimist. How sapping. Footy sucks.
I don't want to do that to you… sorry… I've been wrong before… a lot.

Let's be honest though, if you followed a side just for flags it wouldn't be the saints.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:I'm depressed now. I seem to be expecting more from us than most this year and that's saying something because I am a pessimist. How sapping. Footy sucks.
Depends how you look at it.

Hawks won their recent premiership while in the rebuilding phase, it came early.

Has that helped? :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

meh, all it will take is 2-4 players to come on, fill some deficiencies e.g. Stanley = Ruck forward, Ledger = midfielder, Milera/Siposs = fast/skilled mid/forward, Simpkin = reasonable key back, in combination with our better players playing close to their potential... all of a sudden we're a good show

We actually have an ok list... we just need to stop playing average players.

This is where the continued playing of Peake, Ray, McQualter and to a much lesser degree Gram (who plays poorly when unfit) comes back to bite us - their average form has cost us since mid 2010 and continues to haunt us now due to the players that didn't play

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:we just need to stop playing average players.
agreed…
and i wonder whether polo and wilkes will fall into this category too?

Gwilt Edged
Club Player

Any premiership team needs a dozen or so 100-game players

How many will we have in 2014?

5 years sounds about right

damienc
Club Player

I personally think it is a case of Watters not wanting to talk it up. He knows the history of the club only too well. He also knows that the Saints have in the past promised a lot and failed to deliver. That seems to be the club legacy post 1966. It is very safe for him to talk about a five year plan but in IMO, Watters knows we've waited a long time and is just as hungry for success as all of the supporters and players are. His goal is to make the finals in 2012 and win a premiership if he can. No point being at the club if he isn't. I think if you were to ask him straight out that is what he would say and yes maybe this is with the present playing group minus the contested ball shirkers plus the newbees who I think are going to step up and take the club to the level it must reach to beat the top sides. Sunday was a great yardstick of where St Kilda needs to be. In other words we HAVE to be good enough to beat Geelong or Hawthorn. Two top sides who played a cracker of a game. I don't know if we can be good enough at this point in time. I am sure there are people on this forum who would give us no chance. But I have seen signs of a new look St Kilda. Let's wait and see what develops. It's kind of exciting.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:I personally think it is a case of Watters not wanting to talk it up. He knows the history of the club only too well. He also knows that the Saints have in the past promised a lot and failed to deliver. That seems to be the club legacy post 1966. It is very safe for him to talk about a five year plan but in IMO, Watters knows we've waited a long time and is just as hungry for success as all of the supporters and players are. His goal is to make the finals in 2012 and win a premiership if he can. No point being at the club if he isn't. I think if you were to ask him straight out that is what he would say and yes maybe this is with the present playing group minus the contested ball shirkers plus the newbees who I think are going to step up and take the club to the level it must reach to beat the top sides. Sunday was a great yardstick of where St Kilda needs to be. In other words we HAVE to be good enough to beat Geelong or Hawthorn. Two top sides who played a cracker of a game. I don't know if we can be good enough at this point in time. I am sure there are people on this forum who would give us no chance. But I have seen signs of a new look St Kilda. Let's wait and see what develops. It's kind of exciting.
It will be a bit of a THUD moment if we don't beat the Bullfrogs...i don't believe they'll be challenging for too much this season...