Round 3 v Dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Re: Round 3 v Dogs

plugger66 wrote:Very tough game and only one of those sides can make the finals if any. 2 wins would be huge for us at this stage. WB did look pretty good against Adelaide. 50/50 game for mine but will will start short priced favourites.
Were you at the game ...?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

How do Dogs stack up in Key Positions? reckon our midfield at least as good as theirs even allowing for losing the tap-outs.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Very tough game and only one of those sides can make the finals if any. 2 wins would be huge for us at this stage. WB did look pretty good against Adelaide. 50/50 game for mine but will will start short priced favourites.
Were you at the game ...?

What game?

sainter#4
Club Player

honest opinion, We should win by 6-7 goals. I have watched both doggies games and think they have looked piss poor.

No team can afford to stick 18 players in their half of the ground and score enough goals on the break to win in this day and age.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Dogs aim to break hoodoo

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
And we expect to prolong their misery.

Gotta love those prelims.....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I watched the Dogs and Crows match and I'm confident of a win for us.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Genuine 50/50

Massive game,need to win and show something to bring some hype into the Round 4 game against Lyin. Lose this week and it will be 17,212 friday night fizzer where Lyin will get virtually no whitty banter from the outer. I want 30k there giving him a good old fashioned spray......I like the theatre of it all

Bring back the Lockett era
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The GC win means more than most think....It'll give us a bit of confidence. I'm expecting a comfortable win against the Dogs.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:No team can afford to stick 18 players in their half of the ground and score enough goals on the break to win in this day and age.
did you watch our game the other night? because that's basically what we were doing a lot of the time.

sainter#4
Club Player

jonesy wrote:Genuine 50/50

Massive game,need to win and show something to bring some hype into the Round 4 game against Lyin. Lose this week and it will be 17,212 friday night fizzer where Lyin will get virtually no whitty banter from the outer. I want 30k there giving him a good old fashioned spray......I like the theatre of it all
can someone please explain what exactly they fear about the bulldogs?? not a knock on them just that from observing them, i haven't seen anything that strikes me with fear.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Reckon this week will tell us a lot about the rest of the season.
are we settled into Watters' game plan?
how will the new guys go against seasoned opposition?
how will the multi pronged forward line function?
might even go and see for myself this week.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
sainter#4
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
sainter#4 wrote:No team can afford to stick 18 players in their half of the ground and score enough goals on the break to win in this day and age.
did you watch our game the other night? because that's basically what we were doing a lot of the time.

i was at the game. The only time i saw a whole team flood back on sunday night was GC in the 2nd quarter to stem the flow.

the whole night we kept a structure and played to it.

We always had a minimum of 2 talls forward at all times.
once we won the contested footy from the back half we went down the line and forced a contest with ether roo,kosi,stanley or big mac

or hit the short pass 20-25 meters, chipped it around the back half and once we found the spare man around the wing we broke.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:

can someone please explain what exactly they fear about the bulldogs?? not a knock on them just that from observing them, i haven't seen anything that strikes me with fear.

What would we strike the opposition with fear with? Mongrel finger breaking helicopters into our forward line that might break there defenders fingers?
No,the dogs aren't that good,but either are we. Forget the Gold Coast,they're a joke

Bring back the Lockett era
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

You've got me on board

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:i was at the game. The only time i saw a whole team flood back on sunday night was GC in the 2nd quarter to stem the flow.
serious? multiple times there were 30 players inside the gold coast 50 and none in ours. presumably that means we were flooding back.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

After losing the first game against Port, there is no option other than to win this week. Simply need to get it done. The more convincingly the better. We have the tools. Especially need to get off to a good start, as they will be ultra-keen to win this and we don't want to give them a sniff.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Middo
Club Player

jonesy wrote:
sainter#4 wrote:

What would we strike the opposition with fear with? Mongrel finger breaking helicopters into our forward line that might break there defenders fingers?
No,the dogs aren't that good,but either are we. Forget the Gold Coast,they're a joke

Maybe an inform Rooey with Stanley and Koz lending support against their forward line ..arrrhhh have they got one ..?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Dogs will have a serious crack but they just lack firepower around the ball nowadays and their KP's are asked to do a lot. Their defence is undersized and our forward set up will be a test for most sides this year. If we avoid complacency gleaned from the fools gold that is a win against GC, play like possessed madmen at the fall and give our talls a shot at it I reckon we'll be okay.

Still, Dogs come off WC and Crows and will see us as something of a respite and a real chance to break the duck. Beyond Suns and Giants, few teams will lose three in a row this year I feel.

Interesting encounter.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Dogs will have a serious crack but they just lack firepower around the ball nowadays and their KP's are asked to do a lot. Their defence is undersized...
i dunno, i reckon it's less undersized than ours. they've got a couple of big guys (lake, markovic), a mid-size guy (hargrave) and two smalls (wood, addison). we've got zero big guys (gilbert plays smaller than his height) and a lot of mid-size guys (fisher, simpkin, dempster, blake).

their forward line is tall - minson 199, jones 197, grant 192 - but that doesn't worry me so much this week. i'm more worried by the pace of higgins, giansiracusa, dahlhaus, smith, djerrkura. our mid-size guys aren't exactly electric so that might be our problem.