Team Defence

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Team Defence

Is our defence back to the standards of 2009?

So far this year we are ranked 1 for scores against, conceding just 176 points in 3 games (Ave- 59)

After 3 games in 2009 we had conceded points 198 (Ave- 66)

Granted we have played 3 teams likely to finish in the bottom 6, but after watching the two Melbourne games live, it appears that our team defence is looking remarkable. The Bulldogs had (4) more Inside 50s than us last week, yet we restricted them to just 15 scoring shots compared to our 28.

Obviously it's far too early to start getting carried away, but to me the signs are there that we could surprise a few this year. If we stay injury free, anything is possible.

I remember feeling, after being smashed in the 08 finals, that we were a long way off the top teams, and so 09 came as a huge shock to me.

Before this season I had the same feeling, that the top teams are a long way infront. But Collingwood look shaky, the Cats look beatable. West Coast are getable in Melbourne but perhaps not in WA. Hawthorn and Carlton look great and are the two side I fear the most. However I think if we continue our great team defence against these quality sides, we can certainly take it right up to them.

It's not time to get excited yet, but if we look good in a few weeks, it might be time to get up and about!!

StNoodles
Club Player

Re: Team Defence

In acknowledging our opposition, I reckon you probably answered your own question (no disrespect).

Good signs, but the Saints outfit of 2009 was the best, defensively, in history.

paul napper

better stat - we ar e ranked equal second for scores created in our offensive 50 ie scores created by offensive 50 pressure when the opposition have the ball.

Fox insider tonite argues that stat will correlate by end of season with top4 top 8 rankings

napster

jays
Club Player

in 3 weeks we will no better

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

in 15% of games we have played 50% of the bottom 6 sides.

so u should probably weight our rankings accordingly.

lets wait until round 8 and see where we sit.
will be a fair reflection at that stage.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Is our defence back to the standards of 2009?

So far this year we are ranked 1 for scores against, conceding just 176 points in 3 games (Ave- 59)

After 3 games in 2009 we had conceded points 198 (Ave- 66)

Granted we have played 3 teams likely to finish in the bottom 6, but after watching the two Melbourne games live, it appears that our team defence is looking remarkable. The Bulldogs had (4) more Inside 50s than us last week, yet we restricted them to just 15 scoring shots compared to our 28.

Obviously it's far too early to start getting carried away, but to me the signs are there that we could surprise a few this year. If we stay injury free, anything is possible.

I remember feeling, after being smashed in the 08 finals, that we were a long way off the top teams, and so 09 came as a huge shock to me.

Before this season I had the same feeling, that the top teams are a long way infront. But Collingwood look shaky, the Cats look beatable. West Coast are getable in Melbourne but perhaps not in WA. Hawthorn and Carlton look great and are the two side I fear the most. However I think if we continue our great team defence against these quality sides, we can certainly take it right up to them.

It's not time to get excited yet, but if we look good in a few weeks, it might be time to get up and about!!

To me the Hawks are drunk on their own assumptions of improvement. Carlton look better as they are playing a better game than last season. To me it's a fairly open season and it's going to come down to who's list remains the least injured.