LYON RECEPTION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: LYON RECEPTION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

barks4eva wrote:Ross Lyon went to the board who he had a poor relationship with during the bye we had last year in round 4 in April!

He knew then that a rebuild was necessary and seeing as though the current board had insisted on inserting "get out clauses" in the contract when it was first extended that were not there when the previous board signed him initially then it is only reasonable that he should seek some form of security for his family!

We had lost 2 and drawn 1 at the time!

Ross Lyon sought a new three year deal > $650,000 per year > the board rejected it > Lyon offered to resign > the board rejected that!

Westaway shared the same opinion as Shane Warne on the game style and had made comment on it ( even in the press )

Lyon had a very frosty relationship with the current board!

Leaving aside the fact that they rode on his coat tails of successive Grand Final appearances ( yet still managed to make a loss of 1.5 million a year later ) the board did not fully support him and their loyalty to him was disingenuous at best!

So with " get out clauses " inserted by the current board which give no security whatsoever it is very reasonable that he chose to leave when another club aware of these " get out clauses " came knocking with none of that nonsense providing him and his family with far more security and a lot more money!

Who would knock that back?

Ross Lyon was a few player skill errors, a goal umpire mistake and some dodgy Shaun Ryan decisions in 2009 from being an all time St kilda Football Club legend!

Shaun Ryan is a lawyer who grew up supporting Geelong as a kid and quite obviously found it difficult to remain impartial!

In 2010 we drew a Grand Final with the filth whose players were detected with " ELEVATED " levels of performance enhancing drugs in their bodies!

A complete cover up by the AFL and if anyone bothered to dig deeper we would have the greatest controversy in the history of the game but the AFL made sure this was swept under the carpet such was the magnitude of the cheating and the ramifications!

If our board were not completely asleep at the wheel they would have launched a full scale investigation to uncover the real truth!

Once again Ross Lyon through no fault of his own was denied his place in history to be revered as an all time St kilda Football Club legend!

Ross Lyon deserves nothing but respect for the amazing job he did at the club while having to put up with total dumb **** president and an incompetent board!

In Ross Lyon's last draft we gained Crocker, Cripps, Ledger, Sipposs etc...

The rebuild had already started and he is on record as saying that he was now turning to youth!

If Ross Lyon was standing before me I would seek to shake his hand and thank him!

I'm sure there will be imbeciles who will boo him but it only shows them up for the vacuous numbnuts that they are!
Cool story bro' 8-)

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Ross Lyon went to the board who he had a poor relationship with during the bye we had last year in round 4 in April!

He knew then that a rebuild was necessary and seeing as though the current board had insisted on inserting "get out clauses" in the contract when it was first extended that were not there when the previous board signed him initially then it is only reasonable that he should seek some form of security for his family!

We had lost 2 and drawn 1 at the time!

Ross Lyon sought a new three year deal > $650,000 per year > the board rejected it > Lyon offered to resign > the board rejected that!

Westaway shared the same opinion as Shane Warne on the game style and had made comment on it ( even in the press )

Lyon had a very frosty relationship with the current board!

Leaving aside the fact that they rode on his coat tails of successive Grand Final appearances ( yet still managed to make a loss of 1.5 million a year later ) the board did not fully support him and their loyalty to him was disingenuous at best!

So with " get out clauses " inserted by the current board which give no security whatsoever it is very reasonable that he chose to leave when another club aware of these " get out clauses " came knocking with none of that nonsense providing him and his family with far more security and a lot more money!

Who would knock that back?

Ross Lyon was a few player skill errors, a goal umpire mistake and some dodgy Shaun Ryan decisions in 2009 from being an all time St kilda Football Club legend!

Shaun Ryan is a lawyer who grew up supporting Geelong as a kid and quite obviously found it difficult to remain impartial!

In 2010 we drew a Grand Final with the filth whose players were detected with " ELEVATED " levels of performance enhancing drugs in their bodies!

A complete cover up by the AFL and if anyone bothered to dig deeper we would have the greatest controversy in the history of the game but the AFL made sure this was swept under the carpet such was the magnitude of the cheating and the ramifications!

If our board were not completely asleep at the wheel they would have launched a full scale investigation to uncover the real truth!

Once again Ross Lyon through no fault of his own was denied his place in history to be revered as an all time St kilda Football Club legend!

Ross Lyon deserves nothing but respect for the amazing job he did at the club while having to put up with total dumb **** president and an incompetent board!

In Ross Lyon's last draft we gained Crocker, Cripps, Ledger, Sipposs etc...

The rebuild had already started and he is on record as saying that he was now turning to youth!

If Ross Lyon was standing before me I would seek to shake his hand and thank him!

I'm sure there will be imbeciles who will boo him but it only shows them up for the vacuous numbnuts that they are!
Cool story bro' 8-)
OMG. I didn't know any of this. When's the next AGM?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

For the record reading Barks4Eva's post whilst eyeballed with psychotropic drugs doesn't make it any easier to understand. Still a crazy ride tho.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:Hey Barks, Lyon's lack of player development came at a cost. I certainly don't credit the coach as the main reason we got into Grand Finals either. He was given an opportunity and he failed. You can have your excuses and blame passing bs, just like Lyon, but the sad fact of the matter is that he was outcoached and we should've done better. He's no better than Stan Alves is he?? (as far as coching - because Stan is a for more respected person that Lyon will ever be!!) His penchant for recycled players was not the best thing for our footy club going forward and I seriously doubt that he can nurture and develop young blokes and instill confidence.

During the GFC in 2008/2009 and even up 'til today Lyon and the rest of us ordinary investors learnt valuable lessons and learnt that just because things are on the up, doesn't mean they'll always be good. Before GFC every Financial Planner out there was telling us you have to put your money in offshore markets and overseas sharemarkets so that you; 'don't miss out on the growth.' Snot nose 20 somethings were signing peoples retirement funds away and earning 100,000 bonuses. Their clients would meet with the snot planners every quarter and there'd be high fives as the markets went up 10% in some 3 month periods....The point is any knobulous could invest and make money on the rising sharemarkets and any one in charge of the Saints list in 2007 when Lyon was handed that list, would have had finals success of some sort. Your messiah, however couldn't take us to the summit. The appointment of Pelchin signalled the start of the end to Lyon as a 'career coach.' The GFC, to continue with the analogy, also signalled the death knell for a lot of snot nose planners who have since lost their jobs (people take a while - but they eventually catch on)... You mark my words...3 years from now the Freo fans and sponsors will be demanding Lyon be sacked.
You really need to learn the game of AFL footy before you write.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

RL was insecure because of a get out clause, which both parties would have mutually agreed too, which was there probably more for RL's benefit than the clubs in case he didn't want to coach anymore for whatever reason.
Since when have clubs had a problem in sacking coaches without a get out clause?!!! The list is long and varied and with some great names in it.
Come on B4E that is just pure fertiliser, do you know the only two coaches of our club who really left of his own accord since Allan Jeans were Alex Jesaulenko? and Tim Watson!!!
Patterson sacked, Jewell sacked, Gellie as good as sacked, Baldock, maybe not sacked, but advised his contract would not be renewed, Sheldon sacked, Alves sacked, Blight sacked, Thomas sacked.
Lyon not sacked, but utilised his get out clause after advising the club that he had accepted the new contract.
As for Lyon's coaching, yes it was great 2009, we we're the team to beat, we had both great defence and good offence. However, we did this when there was an even better side around called Geelong, the team that always scared me in 09 we're going to take that premiership we we're marching too because they lost the year before when they really should have won.
If we had played any other side in that Grand Final and played like we did, we would have won by in excess of 5 goals easily.
Then we started 2010 great with the same sort of football that got us to the 09 GF. Then in round 3, Roo did his hamstring and itis here it started to go wrong because it is here with the loss of Roo that RL tweaked his game plan to go even more defensive and further restrict sides scoring because he thought we were going to kick much lower scores.
RL, I believe became obsessed with defence.
It was with great determination and belief we got to the 2010 GF and if the ball had bounced end over end instead of at right angles, we probably would have had our 2nd premiership.
By the way, prior to last year this board over saw 2 major profitable seasons for the club and there we're some exceptional circumstances to last year that cost the club dearly not only on the field, but off it as well.
So as I said earlier, in view of RL's reception this Friday night, just want tio see him leave shaking his head as to why his philosphy on football isn't working anymore and so I can say to the Purple Haze " Excuse me while I kiss the sky!"

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Bad Co.
Club Player

I like Ross Lyon.

Don't think about him much anymore.

I liked GT, Stan, Sheldon.

Blight's a dog, who took 2 million off us, and didn't turn up to work.

Never forgive Watson for walking in and getting rid of Neil Elvis.

I like Watters.

Winmar
Club Player

What Bad Co. said!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Thinline.......

We were 1 win and 8 losses..... His hand was forced WRT picking some kids....it was not random, it was desperation....

And it paid off..... He quickly reverted when we got a sniff

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Thinline.......

We were 1 win and 8 losses..... His hand was forced WRT picking some kids....it was not random, it was desperation....

No it did not as they all were injured...Cripps, Ledger, Siposs, Simpkin....Polo...oh wait

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont think we were ever that and he certainly played kids before we had a record anything like that then they where injured. Facts never get in the way of a good story.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Counting not your strong point?

And I'm pretty sure those kids were all injured in the second half of the season.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I dont think we were ever that and he certainly played kids before we had a record anything like that then they where injured. Facts never get in the way of a good story.
8 rounds in, Saints were 1 draw, 1 win, 6 losses.

From memory, Stanley was the first 'kid' to break in v Brisbane and got dropped again I think? Cripps, Siposs and Ledger each came in a couple of times after that?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Archer played against Richmond in round 2.

Smith, Stanley and Steven played round 3
Last edited by kosifantutti on Tue 17 Apr 2012 10:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Archer played against Richmond in round 2
That's right, played one game and then they brought in Kosi way too early following his ankle surgery.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

8 rounds in, Saints were 1 draw, 1 win, 6 losses.

From memory, Stanley was the first 'kid' to break in v Brisbane and got dropped again I think? Cripps, Siposs and Ledger each came in a couple of times after that?
1 win, 1 draw, 1 bye, 5 losses. Never got close to the mythical figure of 1 win and 8 losses. Our 8th loss was Round 21.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Archer played against Richmond in round 2.

Smith, Stanley and Steven played round 3
Smith? Oh yeah, I forgot about him..Lyon could have played Ross Smith more often as he wasn't a bad player. Good disposal, speed and knew how to get his hands on the ball. I reckon he could have played in both Gf as well. Lyon ruined our club. 8-)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i hope one of the kids plays that couldnt get a gig under him and has an absolute blinder 8-)
same here.

what Id like to see is him double team Riewoldt and Stanley kick 5....

Honestly I just want to win cause he hates losing. What Id love is if they kick 4.5 and we kick 16.9 and win while the press after the game declare that Lyons style has run its race...........and those dopey pr!cks just paid $5m for yesterdays newspaper...

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Nah just wanna see Kosi on pinhead isolated and some reasonable supply'
the result will take care of itself!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Rooy was rated by most as top 5 in the AFL before Lyon arrived and while Lyon was there. Lyon coached well, there is no denying that, however our captain and the core group of Dal, Lenny, Ball, Chips BJ etc are the main reason Saints were a force and the main reason we got to consecutive Grand Finals.

Mike Sheahan's top 50
29 March 2006
Herald Sun

1. B. HALL Sydney Swans (No.4 in 2005)
2. C. JUDD West Coast (No.2 in 2005)
3. M. PAVLICH Fremantle (40)
4. J. BROWN Brisbane Lions (10)
5. N. RIEWOLDT St Kilda (1)
6. W. TREDREA Port Adelaide (3)
7. B. COUSINS West Coast (18)
8. C. CORNES Port Adelaide (
9. D. COX West Coast (45)
10. M. SCARLETT Geelong (13)
11. L. BALL St Kilda (30)
12. P. EVERITT Hawthorn (24)
13. J. HIRD Essendon (6)
14. A. GOODES Sydney (21)
15. M. RICCIUTO Adelaide (14)
16. B. JOHNSON Western Bulldogs (44)
17. S. BLACK Brisbane Lions (9)
18. L. HODGE Hawthorn (-)
19. A. McPHEE Essendon (33)
20. N. DAL SANTO St Kilda (-)
21. J. AKERMANIS Brisbane Lions (15)
22. M. LLOYD Essendon (12)
23. N. BUCKLEY Collingwood (16)
24. S. GOODWIN Adelaide (-)
25. D. FLETCHER Essendon (-)
26. S. WEST Western Bulldogs (-)
27. A. McLEOD Adelaide (25)
28. L. POWER Brisbane Lions (19)
29. L. HAYES St Kilda (47)
30. B. KIRK Sydney Swans (34)
31. R. ROBERTSON Melbourne (-)
32. L. BARRY Sydney Swans (48)
33. B. HARVEY Kangaroos (35)
34. D. KERR West Coast (29)
35. B. RUTTEN Adelaide (-)
36. G. ABLETT Geelong (50)
37. S. LUCAS Essendon (-)
38. R. MURPHY Western Bulldogs (-)
39. P. CHAPMAN Geelong (-)
40. F. GEHRIG St Kilda (17)
41. J. COREY Geelong (-)
42. M. RICHARDSON Richmond (39)
43. D. WELLS Kangaroos (38)
44. S. CRAWFORD Hawthorn (22)
45. D. WIRRPANDA West Coast (-)
46. J. WHITE Melbourne (26)
47. J. CLEMENT Collingwood (36)
48. K. CORNES Port Adelaide (49)
49. T. JOHNSTONE Melbourne (-)
50. C. BOLTON Sydney Swans (-)

MIKE SHEAHAN'S TOP 50
March 15, 2008
Herald Sun

1 - Jonathan Brown - Brisbane Lions
2 - Chris Judd - Carlton
3 - Dean Cox - West Coast
4 - Nick Riewoldt - St Kilda
5 - Gary Ablett - Geelong
6 - Daniel Kerr - West Coast
7 - Chad Cornes - Port Adelaide
8 - Matthew Pavlich - Fremantle
9 - Matthew Scarlett - Geelong
10 - Adam Goodes - Sydney
11 - Darren Glass - West Coast
12 - Brad Johnson - W Bulldogs
13 - Lance Franklin - Hawthorn
14 - Shaun Burgoyne - Port Adelaide
15 - Jimmy Bartel - Geelong
16 - Nick Dal Santo - St Kilda
17 - Scott Lucas - Essendon
18 - Luke Hodge - Hawthorn
19 - Brendan Fevola - Carlton
20 - Simon Black - Brisbane Lions
21 - Sam Mitchell - Hawthorn
22 - Brad Ottens - Geelong
23 - Nick Stevens - Carlton
24 - Joel Corey - Geelong
25 - Andrew McLeod - Adelaide
26 - Travis Cloke - Collingwood
27 - Kane Cornes - Port Adelaide
28 - Barry Hall - Sydney
29 - Brent Harvey - Kangaroos
30 - Cameron Mooney - Geelong
31 - Steve Johnson - Geelong
32 - Simon Goodwin - Adelaide
33 - Tadhg Kennelly - Sydney
34 - Brendon Lade - Port Adelaide
35 - Sam Fisher - St Kilda
36 - Robert Murphy - W Bulldogs
37 - Craig Bolton - Sydney
38 - Ben Rutten - Adelaide
39 - Paul Chapman - Geelong
40 - Ryan O'Keefe - Sydney
41 - Luke Power - Brisbane Lions
42 - Dale Thomas - Collingwood
43 _ Lindsay Gilbee - W Bulldogs
44 - Hamish McIntosh - Kangaroos
45 - Nathan Bock - Adelaide
46 - Jamie Charman - Brisbane Lions
47 - Leigh Montagna - St Kilda
48 - Campbell Brown - Hawthorn
49 - Scott Pendlebury - Collingwood
50 - Brett Deledio - Richmond

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Just looking at those lists and geez Jon Brown is over-rated by almost everyone.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

yeah that's why Brisbane has been so unsuccesful
if only they had Riewoldt they may have won as many flags as us!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Going to be a tough game. Fremantle have got themselves into the best position for the next 5 years. They will become a very good team with a briliant coach. Still hate that he is gone. Because i know the quality we had.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:Going to be a tough game. Fremantle have got themselves into the best position for the next 5 years. They will become a very good team with a briliant coach. Still hate that he is gone. Because i know the quality we had.
After Sandilands and Pavlich...then what?

Griffin would be a change to leave in search of more playing time and a higher pay-packet that comes with it and Pavlich is 31 this season?

Time is ticking and quickly...

Include McPharlin who is 30/31...

I am not doubting the potential of their midfield however they need quality A-grade talls and at either end they have limited coming through

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Going to be a tough game. Fremantle have got themselves into the best position for the next 5 years. They will become a very good team with a briliant coach. Still hate that he is gone. Because i know the quality we had.
Have you picked that bunch of pansies you are presenting to your idol yet?
Don't forget to curtsy!

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Before acting all childish on Friday, just think to yourself "What would Lenny Hayes do?"
St Kilda midfielder Lenny Hayes is pleading with fans to show some respect for Lyon, who guided the Saints to grand final appearances in 2009 and 2010

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/ ... z1sJkQR12m