Efficiency

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Efficiency

Sometimes it has been so frustrating watching us bust a gut only to let down with scrappy, shabby, poor execution. Then opened up on the counter.

6 more scoring shots at Half Time and scores level has been trend in the last 3 or so years...... Lots of effort, no efficiency

Jack Steven and Clint Jones are midfielderS who scrap and win the ball and in simple terms just can't use it...

Then there's the defenders.....

Intensity......strong

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Efficiency

Agree

It's shocking to watch,makes you want to pull your hair out. Feels like 2011 again tonight,and Ross is in the building

Bring back the Lockett era
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Winning with less ball = better structures

SteveStevens66
Club Player

most frustrating thing I've seen is our inability to get clean hands at the contest. So many of our midfielders get hands on the ball at a contest but havent been able to extract it whereas Freo seem to be cleaner with it. I know we're winning the clearances, its just seemed like a deficiency of ours.

Carna Saints!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The difference is really in open play, not so much aroundt the ball....... We have done well in contested situations

Chunked it back continually and flogged on the break

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cripps, classic case in point...... How costly

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Milne another

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We doninated ten minutes of footy, made 5 costly errors and didn't finish

And I am not sure what happened to the defensive structure with ten to go, but they kicked easy goals on the counter

matrix
Saintsational Legend

they seemed to always be able to find a target

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Sometimes it has been so frustrating watching us bust a gut only to let down with scrappy, shabby, poor execution. Then opened up on the counter.

6 more scoring shots at Half Time and scores level has been trend in the last 3 or so years...... Lots of effort, no efficiency

Jack Steven and Clint Jones are midfielderS who scrap and win the ball and in simple terms just can't use it...

Then there's the defenders.....

Intensity......strong
totally agree it's been bloody painfull watching the game tonight. we should not have lost but due to s*** disposal we let them back in. I don't buy it's lyon knowing the saints, that's crap... it's st kilda kicking like muppets!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
degruch
Saintsational Legend

That was s***...s*** s*** s*** s*** s***!!!! We made a very average team not only look good, we also handed them the game. No penetration going forward, decision making an SANFL player would be ashamed of, I was prepared to win by only 3 goals instead of 10, but it never crossed my mind for a second we would gift them the game.

Phew...I feel better now...sort of.

First game of the season I've caught, I'm not sure I'll be rushing to watch another in a hurry if that's the standard of football we're going to deliver.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

We had our chances, and the more we didn't take them, the more we gave them confidence. Umpiring didn't help, but with 6 more decent shots at half-time, we should have had space.

Our fumbling really cost us, let alone some poor kicking. One touch would have put us in the clear a number of times,but we dropped it, and they went to their end and kicked truly. Very frustrating.

We did some good things, so all is not lost. Not our night, and you got the feeling that Ross Lyon gave Freo every chance. He coached well, but I think we expected that. Hopefully Scott learns some things from tonight, and we get back on track next week.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Could have won that....thought we had great intensity.

Freo kicked bloody everything, even Lyon acknowledged that

Slaughtered in the ruck but won clearances

We are a short list, and felt it tonight!

Kosi played really well, hate seeing Dawson win

Young guys all contributed, but that was one that got away

The f**#ing umpire who paid the free against Goddard in the last Qtr cost us all momentum and the game

Nee!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:The f**#ing umpire who paid the free against Goddard in the last Qtr cost us all momentum and the game
I agree...the Purple jumped into the contest early, so why the free? There were plenty of head-scratchers, but can't get over how 'Richmond' our disposal was...so pissed off.

StNoodles
Club Player

Thought Steven and Jones were really solid tonight.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:The difference is really in open play, not so much aroundt the ball....... We have done well in contested situations

Chunked it back continually and flogged on the break
Completely agree. When we get out into space we're like a deer in the headlights. Was exactly the same last week on many, many occasions, but the Doggies were far too ordinary themselves to make us pay for it. Freo tonight were not. They sliced us open with their good and quick decision making and precise footskills and goalkicking.
degruch wrote:That was s***...s*** s*** s*** s*** s***!!!! We made a very average team not only look good, we also handed them the game. No penetration going forward, decision making an SANFL player would be ashamed of, I was prepared to win by only 3 goals instead of 10, but it never crossed my mind for a second we would gift them the game.
Completely agree with all that too, except for Freo being "very average", as I think they might be a bit better than that, although over here they're probably "very average" (3 wins from their last 28 or something, before tonight).

I was as flat after that game as I can remember being in a long, long time and don't remember being that frustrated with our use of the ball in years and years. Terribly disappointing.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 21 Apr 2012 2:09am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

There are some guys in the side at the moment that wouldn't be playing if Schneider and Gwilt were available.

Hence I find it hard to kick guys that are either a) delisted from their former club for butchering it b) young and inexperienced.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It's not just them though. Last week Joey completely butchered at least 4-5 kicks (they had him down for 6 "clangers" on the stats sheet and I wasn't surprised) and tonight the worst kick of the night was by him as well, when we were coming hard late and he inexplicably kicked it 20m over the fence. :shock:

And it's not just poor kicks as in "shanks" and genuine miskicks and so on, but kicks that don't go to our advantage that can be so costly. Like when we have someone on the left of the contest and we kick it to the right. Or we have someone at the back and we kick it to the front and so on. We just seem to have this "near enough will be good enough" attitude that has already cost us at least one premiership in the past 3 years.

And their actual kicks are only half the problem. Choosing the best option is also like a mystery for some of them at the moment, especially coming off half back, as I said last week. Blind Freddy can see someone that's free, yet often they kick it to someone else, who has someone in their pocket, while we're pulling our hair out in the stands.

Freo made decision making with the ball in hand look like a piece of cake tonight, while we looked like we were trying to solve advanced algorithms or something. We were also seriously lacking in POISE.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 21 Apr 2012 2:34am, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Steven's disposal has disappointed me more and more every game this season... Hate how he forces himself onto his left side when he struggles to kick with his right at the best of times. Usually backs out of a kick when he does that anyways.