5 year plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

5 year plan

Four rounds in and it's becoming a bit clearer where we stand in the competition. Still experienced enough to hammer the absolutely rubbish teams, but probably past the collective peak of the playing group (2009-10) and ladder wise definitively middle-rung.

Are we able to develop a playing group which will be in a position to compete for the flag in 5 years? Or is that optimistic? How should we go about it; do we need to push for a more even blend of experienced and rookie players in the first 22... develop youth at all costs? Trade aggressively?

The worry for me is that it's hard to see who the superstar of the team will be in 5 years time. The superstars of today will most likely be long retired; Goddard aside - which is why I think he must be signed as a Saint for life as a matter of urgency.

What must we do to rebuild to the point where we can be genuine contenders?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
BushDave
Club Player

Re: 5 year plan

To Scotty's credit he is introducing the younger players (or those Ross would not give a go) an we are seeing some promisel.

It's going to take some time, but if they click, we will still be a chance this year. We got sucked in big time tonight and did not play confident or ruthless. These are the marks of a great team with centered players.

One day (hopefully before I die), I will see my beloved Saints perform the ultimate. Unfortunately the tears in my ears minutes before the siren in the first 2010 GF werer premature.

NEVER GIVE UP.

Never Give Up!
battye
Saintsational Legend

BushDave wrote:To Scotty's credit he is introducing the younger players (or those Ross would not give a go) an we are seeing some promisel.

It's going to take some time, but if they click, we will still be a chance this year. We got sucked in big time tonight and did not play confident or ruthless. These are the marks of a great team with centered players.

One day (hopefully before I die), I will see my beloved Saints perform the ultimate. Unfortunately the tears in my ears minutes before the siren in the first 2010 GF werer premature.

NEVER GIVE UP.
I know how you feel BushDave. It's gut wrenching to think of 2009 and 2010. Or 2004 and 2005. The worst part is not knowing when our next opportunity will be.

I think it's optimistic to think we're in with a chance this year. We've gone down to Port and Fremantle... imagine the carnage when we play a half decent side. Our best chance (and even this is asking a lot) would be to scrape in to the eight and then hope that our experienced heads have one last fight in them. The Newnes and Stanley's of the world won't win us a premiership yet, but the experience of guys like Riewoldt, Kosi and Hayes could. But we have to be in the eight for that to even be a dream, and on current form (it pains me to say it) I can't see it.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BushDave wrote:To Scotty's credit he is introducing the younger players (or those Ross would not give a go) an we are seeing some promisel.

NEVER GIVE UP.
I think we all teared up a little just before the siren in 2010....oh well....

The younger players give hope....as for dreaming of a flag in 5 years, well, that's ridiculous at the moment.

Gotta wait a couple of years to see what sort of future team we have.

Carlscum supporters could see 3 years ago the building blocks due to good recruiting and excellent tanking......I'm hoping come 2014 we will see a future a few years ahead also.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

The best way to have a superstar in 5 years time is to get 2 first round picks for Goddard. Super draft coming up, try and pick up a couple of other decent picks for an aging player or two. Take our medicine at the bottom for a couple of years... Free up some cash to chase a rising star from one of the new clubs.

Carton were on the bottom for years, now they may finally challenge for a few years.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:The best way to have a superstar in 5 years time is to get 2 first round picks for Goddard. Super draft coming up, try and pick up a couple of other decent picks for an aging player or two. Take our medicine at the bottom for a couple of years... Free up some cash to chase a rising star from one of the new clubs.

Carton were on the bottom for years, now they may finally challenge for a few years.
yep agreed.

“Yeah….nah””
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

We won't get two 1st round picks for Goddard. We would deserve to, but won't.