Incompetent umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Incompetent umpiring

bergholt wrote:
Teflon wrote:ah well.....we're all making it up...........maybe we are sooking it up cause secretly we are Hawks supporters??? cause there couldnt be anything wrong with the umpriring could there be?
of course there could. bad decisions are made every week and will be forever as there's absolutely no way to stop that. the ridiculous thing is people claiming that we always get the rough end of the pineapple or that there's some sort of agenda against us. conspiracies are unlikely simply because there are humans involved and someone always talks.
what if its not a conspiracy.........what if its just re-occuring poor performances??

see Hawks V Eagles agles game this round...........disgraceful.

ah....we just always write them off as "ah well we all make mistakes".......while we are being fed how in this day and age we are just so much more professional???

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Teflon wrote:ah well.....we're all making it up...........maybe we are sooking it up cause secretly we are Hawks supporters??? cause there couldnt be anything wrong with the umpriring could there be?
of course there could. bad decisions are made every week and will be forever as there's absolutely no way to stop that. the ridiculous thing is people claiming that we always get the rough end of the pineapple or that there's some sort of agenda against us. conspiracies are unlikely simply because there are humans involved and someone always talks.
what if its not a conspiracy.........what if its just re-occuring poor performances??

see Hawks V Eagles agles game this round...........disgraceful.

ah....we just always write them off as "ah well we all make mistakes".......while we are being fed how in this day and age we are just so much more professional???

Before one can begin to rectify a problem you have to actually acknowledge that a problem exists.

Seemingly, through their continued 'glossing over' of so many contentious deecisions, the umpiring department either doesn't believe there is a significant problem or is trying to address it quietly in the background.
If it is the latter then IMO they're doing a partiularly lousy job.

Friday bight's performance by the umpires was a disgraceful effort.
Not so much for mistakes tehy made in paying decision, but for the glaring mistakes they repeatedly made in not paying decisions.

IMHO the umpuire who didn't pay BJ a 50m penalty should be dropped
It was a blatant patently wrong decision.
A decision no senior AFL umpire should get wrong.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Saw the most deliberate out of bounds today at thr Richmond Geelong game.
The fact that it was not called deliberate, when it clearly, without a question of doubt was,
Proves that the umpires make mistakes. Now if they make bad calls, it HAS to influence the game, surely.
Umpiring at this level, must improve.. It drags down the integrity of the game when it is as crap as it was on Friday night.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

:evil:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Saw the most deliberate out of bounds today at thr Richmond Geelong game.
The fact that it was not called deliberate, when it clearly, without a question of doubt was,
Proves that the umpires make mistakes. Now if they make bad calls, it HAS to influence the game, surely.
Umpiring at this level, must improve.. It drags down the integrity of the game when it is as crap as it was on Friday night.
How come a defender can deliberately punch the ball 20 rows, with no intention of keeping it in play? How in the hell is this different from a guy dribbling the ball towards the boundary, and getting pinged?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Notice them roll out the pretty, smart goal umpire on EMT?

Not that I'm cynical or anything, but was someone anticipating a rough week?

Nah. They wouldn't do that would they.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Before one can begin to rectify a problem you have to actually acknowledge that a problem exists.
agreed.

at the moment all the umpires are seen as s*** because we can't tell the difference between them, and every club's fans feel they get shafted.

i don't know if there is a problem, but i reckon there should be a weekly report, produced by the umpiring department, detailing all the right and wrong decisions they've identified in each game. each of them should have the exact time they occurred, the umpire responsible and the area of the ground. this would allow:

- the good umpires to really show up as being better than the rest
- the ramifications of variation in umpiring to be assessed game by game and across the season
- fans to feel some agency when thinking about umpiring and their team

i'm sure the umpiring department already produces this internally - at least i hope so - so it would take them about two hours a week to get it ready for publication.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Before one can begin to rectify a problem you have to actually acknowledge that a problem exists.
agreed.

at the moment all the umpires are seen as s*** because we can't tell the difference between them, and every club's fans feel they get shafted.

i don't know if there is a problem, but i reckon there should be a weekly report, produced by the umpiring department, detailing all the right and wrong decisions they've identified in each game. each of them should have the exact time they occurred, the umpire responsible and the area of the ground. this would allow:

- the good umpires to really show up as being better than the rest
- the ramifications of variation in umpiring to be assessed game by game and across the season
- fans to feel some agency when thinking about umpiring and their team

i'm sure the umpiring department already produces this internally - at least i hope so - so it would take them about two hours a week to get it ready for publication.

Ah!
But that would probably provide clarity to the wider fooyball community, and that seeminhly is against this current AFL m.o..

Much more likely they would piblish a weekly report that states that upon review 93.4679356902416? of all decisions were correct.
No mention of possible consequences of the 'few' wrong ones (and how wrong do they have to be to be claified as wrong? - anything that can be categorized as the umpire being possibly 'unsighted' is not considered an error).

I don't believe there is a xonspiracy against any Club
I do believe that there are certain players (like Milne and Schneider) who find it really difficult to earn a free kick from the umpiring fraternity. It is so widespread that it cannot be pure coincidence, IMO

Then there are other players who seem to have a 'charmd life' with the umpires - Ableett, Judd, Selwood to name but 3.

Why?
How does it continue on week after week, season after season?

ThePunter
Club Player

Firstly, at least five Freo goals came from umpiring decisions or non-decisions.

Secondly, saying "we're all human, everyone makes mistakes, it's why pencils have erasers", LEGITIMISES THE MAKING OF MISTAKES.

Trust me, AFL umpires are beyond reproach or criticism as all criticism is treated as one-eyed barracking or the ranting of old fogies like Sam Newman.

McPharlin illegally infringed on Riewoldt, a ball player, all day. One in the third quarter where he hit him in the neck in the marking contest, free not paid, Freo kick a goal at the other end.

The Goddard free kick when De Boer was only trying to get a free kick, while Goddard simply held his ground to use his positional advantage, is really demoralising as what's the point of Goddard trying anything if that is a free kick. Freo ended up kicking a goal from that one too.

Milne has received two free kicks this season, one in the goal square. I don't expect him to get another one this season.

I don't mind how they are adjudicating the holding the ball rule this year, but that doesn't mean they didn't get the one they paid (on Dal Santo, immediately tackled around both arms, the tackle preventing him from looking like he was making a genuine attempt to get rid of the ball) wasn't horribly wrong. Ball was in our forward line at the time, so who knows?

We lost for many reasons, but one of them should never be the umpiring.

westy
Club Player

The problem is that if the umpiring chiefs were to drop umpires to the country league as a result poor performance, they would something of a problem. Based on their collective performances in round 4, the AFL would struggle to have enough umpires for round 5

I'm livin' in a madhouse
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:Firstly, at least five Freo goals came from umpiring decisions or non-decisions.

Secondly, saying "we're all human, everyone makes mistakes, it's why pencils have erasers", LEGITIMISES THE MAKING OF MISTAKES.

Trust me, AFL umpires are beyond reproach or criticism as all criticism is treated as one-eyed barracking or the ranting of old fogies like Sam Newman.

McPharlin illegally infringed on Riewoldt, a ball player, all day. One in the third quarter where he hit him in the neck in the marking contest, free not paid, Freo kick a goal at the other end.

The Goddard free kick when De Boer was only trying to get a free kick, while Goddard simply held his ground to use his positional advantage, is really demoralising as what's the point of Goddard trying anything if that is a free kick. Freo ended up kicking a goal from that one too.

Milne has received two free kicks this season, one in the goal square. I don't expect him to get another one this season.

I don't mind how they are adjudicating the holding the ball rule this year, but that doesn't mean they didn't get the one they paid (on Dal Santo, immediately tackled around both arms, the tackle preventing him from looking like he was making a genuine attempt to get rid of the ball) wasn't horribly wrong. Ball was in our forward line at the time, so who knows?

We lost for many reasons, but one of them should never be the umpiring.
Punter, I'll pick your post apart just as an example of bias.

Please tell me how many obvious Freo frees were missed.

Problem is all I hear about on SS is the frees they missed for us, not the obvious ones for them.

We can't have a proper debate without the other side of the story.

Just making a point - not having a shot of you per se......we are Saints and biased towards our own team, I am also....that's why we need the AFL to report on it properly WITHOUT BIAS that exists within supporter groups!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ThePunter
Club Player

I would be happy if the AFL listened to any club. I feel they don't listen to any of them.

We had the best of it against the Doggies, but the other three matches have been akin to fighting with one hand tied behind our backs.

ace
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
ace wrote:Demetriou is more interested in providing prayer rooms for muslims than competent umpiring.
does demetriou run docklands now?

Unconfirmed rumour that Demetriou insisted that the prayer rooms be multi religion.
To that effect he instructed that no religious artifacts or markings be present.
No crucifixes, markings of the Qibla etc.

Except for a massive portrait of Andrew Demetriou at the front of each prayer room! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by ace on Mon 23 Apr 2012 3:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Geishen - therein lies the problem!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ThePunter
Club Player

It should be said that the added degree of difficulty associated with recently introduced rules, and the insistence of rules that adjudicate not on what an umpires sees, but what is believes was the intent of the player, makes umpiring much more difficult than it should be.

What would be wrong with making the game easier to umpire?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:It should be said that the added degree of difficulty associated with recently introduced rules, and the insistence of rules that adjudicate not on what an umpires sees, but what is believes was the intent of the player, makes umpiring much more difficult than it should be.

And how do you do that. The game is very hard to umpire but it is better than ever to watch IMO.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Glad you've never umpired me!

Hey, what's the point of watching the replay, cannot get anything out of that..... Have to see it live to make a call

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Glad you've never umpired me!

Hey, what's the point of watching the replay, cannot get anything out of that..... Have to see it live to make a call

Talking crap again. Lets face it you have no idea from TV how a guy is moving as far as leading goes. The funny thing in the 3 games I have seen live Rooy is moving pretty well. Funny that he wasnt moving well in game one. Well on TV anyway. And I dont do D4 games in the Ammos so no hope of umpiring you. Far to easy.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:It should be said that the added degree of difficulty associated with recently introduced rules, and the insistence of rules that adjudicate not on what an umpires sees, but what is believes was the intent of the player, makes umpiring much more difficult than it should be.

Absolutely spot on.

A classic example of this is the deliberate out of bounds rule. A player can deliberately take the ball out of bounds as long as he demonstrates to the umpire somehow that he didn't mean to. So the umpire is effectively judging the players acting ability. This happens dozens of times a week, and everyone knows that the players intention is to kill the ball, but if he pretends he is fumbling it's allowed.

The umpire shouldn't have to judge the players intent. Simplify the rule.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:

Absolutely spot on.

A classic example of this is the deliberate out of bounds rule. A player can deliberately take the ball out of bounds as long as he demonstrates to the umpire somehow that he didn't mean to. So the umpire is effectively judging the players acting ability. This happens dozens of times a week, and everyone knows that the players intention is to kill the ball, but if he pretends he is fumbling it's allowed.

The umpire shouldn't have to judge the players intent. Simplify the rule.

And how could you do that? Interpretation is a huge thing in our game. Always has been and always will.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

When a player is going for the footy and he nearly has his head ripped off, it should always be paid too high. Simple!! If the player holding the footy is smart enough to duck or to drop their knees and get pushed in the back, then the umpire has no choice but to pay the free to the guy who is first to the footy, not the tackler. Simple!! If you want to change the rules then that's different, but right now we have guys like the Selwoods that will always draw a free, unless your rule book is amended!! We need more umpires like Jordan Bannister who have an understanding for the game and are not 'letter of the law' types. If contact is incidental and if contact is minimal then it shoud be play on. Goddard's intent and his focus was the footy where as the Freo bloke instigated the contact, and still didn't impede Goddards ability to compete. If a shortarse jumps up early against Sandilands and he brushes them incidentaly or looks at the shortarse momentarily but it doesn't really affect the contest, then it'd be play on and Sandilands would be awarded the mark. Simple!! P66 is defending the indefensible.

If plugger66 had predicted at the start of this year that the Saints would be a top 4 side, and that the game plan will change for the better under Watters and that we'll improve on last years efforts, he'd be as filthy as the rest of us with umpires costing Saints a crucial win...but he's more interested in us losing to back his argument and negative outlook. What sort of tool supporter places a ceiling on where we should finish on the ladder for the year...Fair enough if you barrack for Carlscum or Filth Pies or Dawks, but I cannot believe that you are convinced that our chances for this year had slipped before the year started. You now convince yourself and push your barrow to back your case and tell us all that it wasn't the umpiring that made the difference!!! You are a joke....

Can people please not show his posts and quote the tool...I'd like to keep him on ignore...thanks in advance
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 23 Apr 2012 9:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps it is a little bit opponent related, that an 80% Riewoldt can look like he's moving OK.

He's admitted he's not the athlete he once was, not close..... Just look at his output to work that out, snapper.

And who the fcuk are you to tell anyone they have no idea, you are a nobody with an opinion, that's all.... And generally your opinions are laughable.... Predictable..... You'd make a great employee....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Perhaps it is a little bit opponent related, that an 80% Riewoldt can look like he's moving OK.

He's admitted he's not the athlete he once was, not close..... Just look at his output to work that out, snapper.

And who the fcuk are you to tell anyone they have no idea, you are a nobody with an opinion, that's all.... And generally your opinions are laughable.... Predictable..... You'd make a great employee....

When someone mentions Bevo and the recruiting of Cripps then they have no idea. Also after round one you said Rooy was moving like a super rules player. Again no idea. Far to easy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:When a player is going for the footy and he nearly has his head ripped off, it should always be paid too high. Simple!! If the player holding the footy is smart enough to duck or to drop their knees and get pushed in the back, then the umpire has no choice but to pay the free to the guy who is first to the footy, not the tackler. Simple!! If you want to change the rules then that's different, but right now we have guys like the Selwoods that will always draw a free, unless your rule book is amended!! We need more umpires like Jordan Bannister who have an understanding for the game and are not 'letter of the law' types. If contact is incidental and if contact is minimal then it shoud be play on. Goddard's intent and his focus was the footy where as the Freo bloke instigated the contact, and still didn't impede Goddards ability to compete. If a shortarse jumps up early against Sandilands and he brushes them incidentaly or looks at the shortarse momentarily but it doesn't really affect the contest, then it'd be play on and Sandilands would be awarded the mark. Simple!! P66 is defending the indefensible.

If plugger66 had predicted at the start of this year that the Saints would be a top 4 side, and that the game plan will change for the better under Watters and that we'll improve on last years efforts, he'd be as filthy as the rest of us with umpires costing Saints a crucial win...but he's more interested in us losing to back his argument and negative outlook. What sort of tool supporter places a ceiling on where we should finish on the ladder for the year...Fair enough if you barrack for Carlscum or Filth Pies or Dawks, but I cannot believe that you are convinced that our chances for this year had slipped before the year started. You now convince yourself and push your barrow to back your case and tell us all that it wasn't the umpiring that made the difference!!! You are a joke....

Can people please not show his posts and quote the tool...I'd like to keep him on ignore...thanks in advance

Really that second paragraph is laughable. Please learn about the game of footy and what a prediction means. Joke. Hope people quote me so you see the joke that you are.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It was tongue in cheek About Nick, although he'd look nice at CHB in my team...... He'd have no spot at CHF....
He is not moving freely, simple.... But well enough to have a reasonable output against 3 bottom 4 teams....and a mid road team, indoor....
Guess what, he'll do alright again Saturday if conditions suit.....a month after that we judge

Secondly, do you realize you fool, john is still an employee at STK...... Not that easy

Smug as George colony, but not quite the attribute eh...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:It was tongue in cheek About Nick, although he'd look nice at CHB in my team...... He'd have no spot at CHF....
He is not moving freely, simple.... But well enough to have a reasonable output against 3 bottom 4 teams....and a mid road team, indoor....
Guess what, he'll do alright again Saturday if conditions suit.....a month after that we judge

Secondly, do you realize you fool, john is still an employee at STK...... Not that easy

Smug as George colony, but not quite the attribute eh...

Yes I realise Bevo is an employee. Actually spoke to him last week and live one street from Luke and have known his Daughter Cathy for over 20 years.The point was a guy blamed bevo for recuiting Cripps and for some reason you stuck your nose in when clearly Bevo doesnt have anything to do with the final say on players. And I agree lets see how Rooy is going in a few weeks. Pity you couldnt wait more than one round. Far to easy.