Scott W talking to Umps Boss !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scott W talking to Umps Boss !!

desertsaint wrote:Players need to improve. Umpires need to improve. Sounds like Scotty has it covered. Players will agree they weren't their best, let's hope the umps are as honest.

Not quite covered.

Scotty needs to improve - comprehensively outcoached by Ross Lyon on the weekend.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Whilst its really easy for all of us "Armchair Experts" to criticise the umpires, we are mainly coming from a position of ignorant bias. If, on the other hand the AFL opened up the performance of the umpires to the public by publishing all the "Missed & Unwarranted" Free Kicks, as well as rating the umpires (individually & collectively) publicly then we could all have a (hopefully) fair & reasonable debate on their performance each week !!

And we would have no junior umpires because once you start saying this free and that free was wrong then in a close game the papers will have a field day. I know we have clangers for players in the paper but I cant think of to many write ups on players even if they had 10 clangers. But you could bet if an umpire had a couple of clangers that may have changed a game there would a huge write up. The umpires know what they do right and wrong every week. Surely that is what is important. I aint going to feel any better if I know umpire 23 gave 3 wrong frres against us and it cost us the game. Matter of fact I probably would feel worse.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:Whilst its really easy for all of us "Armchair Experts" to criticise the umpires, we are mainly coming from a position of ignorant bias. If, on the other hand the AFL opened up the performance of the umpires to the public by publishing all the "Missed & Unwarranted" Free Kicks, as well as rating the umpires (individually & collectively) publicly then we could all have a (hopefully) fair & reasonable debate on their performance each week !!

And we would have no junior umpires because once you start saying this free and that free was wrong then in a close game the papers will have a field day. I know we have clangers for players in the paper but I cant think of to many write ups on players even if they had 10 clangers. But you could bet if an umpire had a couple of clangers that may have changed a game there would a huge write up. The umpires know what they do right and wrong every week. Surely that is what is important. I aint going to feel any better if I know umpire 23 gave 3 wrong frres against us and it cost us the game. Matter of fact I probably would feel worse.

My counter arguement is that by the time umpires get to AFL level they are paid well enough to be accountable to ALL stakeholders. Junior umpires are a different kettle of fish alltogether !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

My counter arguement is that by the time umpires get to AFL level they are paid well enough to be accountable to ALL stakeholders. Junior umpires are a different kettle of fish alltogether !!

They are accountable to everyone. They are dropped if not performing.

Buckets
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Players need to improve. Umpires need to improve. Sounds like Scotty has it covered. Players will agree they weren't their best, let's hope the umps are as honest.

Not quite covered.

Scotty needs to improve - comprehensively outcoached by Ross Lyon on the weekend.
That IMO is a myth.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
felix
Club Player

how easy would it be for umpires to determine the outcome of a game and get away with it. Pretty damn easy!. Of course they don't do that sort of thing but our game would be the easiest game in the world to deliver an outcome dictated by umpires. Do they bet on the afl in India.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:They are accountable to everyone. They are dropped if not performing.
I'll keep an eye on that to see whether the umpires responsible for Friday's shambles are going up country this weekend.

Who were they btw? They ought to wear numbers like the players to make them more recognisable.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:They are accountable to everyone. They are dropped if not performing.
I'll keep an eye on that to see whether the umpires responsible for Friday's shambles are going up country this weekend.

Who were they btw? They ought to wear numbers like the players to make them more recognisable.

People complained when they had numbers.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

People complained when they had numbers.
Well put their names there instead. I want to know the name of the clowns responsible.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:As an aside to the sub-standard umpiring on Friday night, it appears, the referee in the
A-League final last night who gave a last minute penalty to the Brisbane Roar.
Well it appears, the man lives in Brisbane and his wife works in the media department of the Brisbane Roar according to SEN.

Er, conflict of interest methinks which he should have declared!

Makes you wonder what goes on within the umpiring department here.
Shaun Ryan who umpired the 2009 Grand Final grew up supporting Geelong!

You only need to see the non awarding of the obvious free kick to Schnieder when he had his jumper ripped off into Lennox Street around the 19 minute mark of the last quarter with Ryan standing five metres away with an unobstructed view to see that blatant cheating does occur!
About five minutes later Harry Taylor grabs Riewoldt's shoulder while Scarlett with no eyes for the ball jumps into him from the front, either one is a free kick any day of the week but with scores level and only minutes to go Shaun Ryan again calls play on and the rest is history!

Shaun Ryan ( who by the way also happens to be a lawyer ) could not stand to see his Cats lose two Grand Finals in a row and stitched us up big time!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Could we not also have the situation where we publicly know who the best umpires are weekly and what standard these guys then set and what is required?

I actually believe shrouding the umpiring profession in secrecy and banning any discussion on their performance has hurt them more than helped - how do they get better if they never have the benchmark to guage? How do they expect the public to change their views on umpires of there is no education on what "good" umpiring should look like????

Nah.....lets just not talk about it.....I sometimes wonder if this policy came from the Vatican....working a treat for them.... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it's better for the junior umpires that everyone hates them because they're s*** at AFL level and look like corrupt or incompetent morons.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Yeah it's better for the junior umpires that everyone hates them because they're s*** at AFL level and look like corrupt or incompetent morons.

yeah cause u know for certain thats how it will go if we open them up for genuine accountability?

and umpires are just so loved now yeah??? :idea:

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
ozrulestrace wrote:As an aside to the sub-standard umpiring on Friday night, it appears, the referee in the
A-League final last night who gave a last minute penalty to the Brisbane Roar.
Well it appears, the man lives in Brisbane and his wife works in the media department of the Brisbane Roar according to SEN.

Er, conflict of interest methinks which he should have declared!

Makes you wonder what goes on within the umpiring department here.
Shaun Ryan who umpired the 2009 Grand Final grew up supporting Geelong!

You only need to see the non awarding of the obvious free kick to Schnieder when he had his jumper ripped off into Lennox Street around the 19 minute mark of the last quarter with Ryan standing five metres away with an unobstructed view to see that blatant cheating does occur!
About five minutes later Harry Taylor grabs Riewoldt's shoulder while Scarlett with no eyes for the ball jumps into him from the front, either one is a free kick any day of the week but with scores level and only minutes to go Shaun Ryan again calls play on and the rest is history!

Shaun Ryan ( who by the way also happens to be a lawyer ) could not stand to see his Cats lose two Grand Finals in a row and stitched us up big time!
I'm not saying that you are right about that but Ablett got a free in the same type of jumper holding incident which resulted in a goal.
Schneider was definitley being held but he accentuated it from I remember.

We lost the GF when Schneider hand clapped the umpires in round 21. He was never going to get a free after that.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint-stu
Club Player

I don't blame the umpires. To me that's just focusing on the symptoms and not the cause.

Our game is very complex and getting more complex each year with each new rule.

Hands in the back, deliberate out of bounds, rush behind if you're under pressure, but if you're not under pressure blah blah blah. Who understands the rules?

1ac46a38
linmarnic
Club Player

Mathew Lloyd just said that Roo nearly had his head torn off in the last quarter.

Never give up
widereceiver
Club Player

Hey Pollyannas, let's pretend it's OK to miss all those sodas when kicking for goal, then we'll blame the admittedly pathetic umpiring. If the highly-paid princesses kicked straight we woulda bin 4 & 1 after next week.

PS How about the defense against Feo's run and spread? Prepare yourselves for rounds 6-9. As it stands, we're goin ' down & the morons in green will be a minor concern.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
SainterK
Saintsational Legend