VFL RD 6 - Sandringham vs Collingwood- Replay

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shanka

Re: VFL RD 6 - Sandringham vs Collingwood- TV /Scores

These commentators haven't said one great thing about the Zebs today, it's all about the Pies. Just like always

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ledger had a pretty good last quarter. Sprayed in a bit though.
Was certainly in and under and hard at it.

Siposs finished well had had 4 pretty good quarters. Was our best.

Dunnell starred in the first half, but was quiet in the second half. Not sighted when we only had 3 inside 50s in the third...not surprisingly, but better in the 4th.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

cheers for updates everyone

anyones opinions and comments about players and what they thought also welcomed now the games over 8-) :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ray steady and reliable all day, without starring.

Gwilt was very good in the first and quite ok in the others.

Ledger was hard at it most of the day...but not as clean as you would like. Gave us plenty of drive in the last quarter when we needed it.

Saad kicked 3....but in many ways had a dirty day when he could just not handle the ball cleanly at times. Still FP is a hard position and as he kept at it he ended up with 3 goals by making sure he was where a FP needed to be.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

What do we think our potential call ups? They being Siposs,Gwilt,Ledger,Saad

I reckon Gwilt is still a bit off the pace and needs another run or two yet. Looked to be running on the spot in the second half

Ledger- Looked disinterested for most parts,but had a dip in the last and got some vital clearances.

Saad- Finished nicely at the end. Don't see him getting a call up though,fumbled a bit

Siposs- Good,clear standout. Surely it's his time

Ray and Peake can stay there.Thought Ray was ok just. Peake's skills aren't even up to VFL standards

Bring back the Lockett era
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

There are quite a few players who are not up to AFL standard for us at the moment unfortunately.

The better AFL players for us today (IMO) were: Siposs, Peake, Ray, Ledger and Dunell's first half only.

The rest are nowhere near it including Winmar, Curran, Saad, Andreoli, Archer, Shenton, Ross.

Gwilt went okay but still needs to blow out a few cob webs and Ferguson seems to slowly be getting there.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Archer looks to slow for AFL football.
Ferguson faded in the second half, though was still a contributor,,,but no where near as good as he was in the first half.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

For mine i think Siposs, Dowler, Ferguson, Cook were best all day. Dunnell hardly got near it in 2nd half but 16 touches & 3 goals in first half gets him in there... Saad very average imo, even though he kicked couple late to seal game.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Forgot the game was on and on TV! :x Saw the last quarter though. Ledger was very impressive from what I saw, lots of good stuff in close. Siposs ended up with 18 and 4 and 6 marks and two goals. They interviewed him after the game. Spoke well. His arms aren't very developed though, so will be better for a couple more preseasons. Glad to hear that Ferguson had a good first half. Very promising to have someone that tall and athletic coming through at such a young age.
Very impressive quarter from Jackson Paine for Collingwood. Took 4 or 5 strong overhead marks. Looks a bargain pick-up for pick 50 in last year's draft, having already played seniors for Collingwood in the AFL.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sat 28 Apr 2012 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Just caught the last 45 minutes of play on TV. Ledger was a big part of the revival in the final quarter - dominating clearances by feeding off the opposition ruckmen. Siposs very clever and damaging, Ferguson getting amongst it and Archer provides a strong contest up forward. Winmar still looks shaky, Peake and Ray seem to be cruising along and just waiting for a recall rather than demanding it. Gwilt didn't play with much intensity but is getting valuable fitness and should be ready in a couple of weeks.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:What do we think our potential call ups? They being Siposs,Gwilt,Ledger,Saad
From today...Siposs and Ray.
Siposs played wing very well. Ray did not star off HB...but if we have injuries etc would slot straight in.

Peake had a quite an ok game.. same old Peake though witha few errant kicks. But no shockers.

Gwilt I suspect needs to build more match fitness. He looked classy though and so should be back soon.

Ledger played well enough to be used asa sub again...but did not "demand" a recall.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Problem with Siposs is he's playing up on the wing and with Schneider back next week aswell might find it hard to break into side.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
, Peake and Ray seem to be cruising along and just waiting for a recall rather than demanding it. .
That sums it up fairly well though bother were in positions were it was harder to dominate....and I suspect they were doing exactly what the coaches instructions were. I would rate Ray's game above Peake's.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Gwilt spend a bit of time in the forward line for Sandy. He was fairly ordinary a few years ago when played forward (for St Kilda), but he's so much better now than he was then so he might be able to do well up forward now and could be a bit of a swing option.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Seb Ross's game anyone?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Problem with Siposs is he's playing up on the wing and with Schneider back next week aswell might find it hard to break into side.
Schneider has missed so much, including pre-season, that you would think that they would give a Sandy game to gain match practice.

Shanka

Seb Ross was okay, nothing special seems like a decent kick and finds the ball. Thought a few others are a fair way ahead of him. Ledger would be a fair way ahead as well as sipposs!

Foz
Club Player

Bardon Saint wrote:Seb Ross's game anyone?
Played a fair game. Kicked a goal in the second and seems to have patience when he has the ball, good ball user. Is not getting large numbers of possessions. There are several Sandy players in the mid that stand out more. For aggression - Cockie and for clearance work - Cook & Ledger.

I'm not seeing anything to suggest he will be in the senior side in next few weeks. But first year player its all about development.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Siposs goals!!! 5 points up

Siposs has looked cleaver and classy today.
He always looks classy, is just a natural footballer

When he gains consistency in effort and output he'll be in the firsts without a doubt

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross was good when he got it. I thought so anyway.
I thought Ray was average and Peake was even worse though he got more of it.
Winmar was literally unsighted, as was Andreoli.

Siposs was a class above at times. Looked classy on a wing. He would be very close to a call up on the back of that game.
Ferguson isn't far off it either.
Saad was quiet, but he has that aura within 30 meters of goal. Will be better for the run. We want this guy pushing for a spot.
Archer was average. Kicked a lovely goal in the last though. He is a massive unit.
Ledger, was quiet for three quarters but got crucial inside clearances when we desperately needed them. Honestly, his work in the last was probably the difference.

That third quarter was terrible.

In the second quarter we were that sharp they looked like absolute stars.

Siposs will get a game next week I reckon. He just looked classy at times.

Gwilt was just on cruise control. Needs the match fitness and is still a few weeks away.
Last edited by bigred on Sat 28 Apr 2012 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Foz wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:Seb Ross's game anyone?
Played a fair game. Kicked a goal in the second and seems to have patience when he has the ball, good ball user. Is not getting large numbers of possessions. There are several Sandy players in the mid that stand out more. For aggression - Cockie and for clearance work - Cook & Ledger.

I'm not seeing anything to suggest he will be in the senior side in next few weeks. But first year player its all about development.
Yeah he's a long way off being AFL ready,but he looks the good down the track. Seems to be a fairly smart player. We might give him a taste with a game or two later in the year

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Admittedly I only watched it on TV, but I like that there is a few kids showing stuff in positions where I thought we may struggle given we have alot of veterans these days.

Is it to early a call to say that Ledger/Ross appear to have shown enough to break into the midfield and compliment Armo, Steven in years to come?

Dunnell looks crafty, I like him, and given Milne/Schneider are getting older, it doesn't hurt to have all of Saad/Milera/Dunnel competing for spots.

I thought Archer was a good target up forward, always made a contest, I must say very accurate kicking today....is that normal?

Ferguson is the one I'm most impressed with, come along way, looks great downback....the word that I am very happy about using to describe him, is composed. He doesn't appear to get ruffled under pressure.

For mine, didn't learn anything else about Siposs, he is ready now and I wish he was in the side learning from our senior guys.
Last edited by SainterK on Sat 28 Apr 2012 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Shanka wrote:These commentators haven't said one great thing about the Zebs today, it's all about the Pies. Just like always
Just an observation, but is Tarkyn Lockyer the Collingwood VFL coach? :wink:

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Jackson Ferguson was most impressive for me, was our best along with Dunell in the first half and like the latter faded

Still only 19 ! so if he was drafted this would be his first year

Once the body develops he will be very handy good size

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Nothing new to add really, it's been covered pretty well.

It was a pretty strange old game. Sandy started really poorly, but once they started hitting some targets, they dominated the last 10 of the 1st, and the whole second quarter. Then they stopped, they barely touched the ball in the 3rd quarter. Then the last was a pretty good contest, it seemed a bit of class up forward for Sandy proved the difference in the end.

Siposs was excellent. Ran all day too, which I was impressed with, because the type of running when your a key forward is very different to playing across the centre.
Ferguson was a highlight - certainly looks like a league footballer now, and really didn't look out of place in defence. Reads the game really well, he grabbed a few kicks from opposition kicks, which is always a good stat.
Ledger was dissapointing. I thought he used the ball really poorly for most of the day, and a couple of times in the 2nd and 3rd looked completely buggered. That said, a couple of excellent clearances when the game was up for grabs in the last quarter were important.
Ray and Peake were average. Their inability to use their experience to influence the game in the last quarter was a concern. Peake had a couple of shocking turnovers, but certainly wasn't alone there.
Ross, Curren, Andreoli, Winmar all barely sighted. Ross has plenty of time, but Winmar is probably a concern, he really needs to be putting his hand up and demanding selection after being picked up in 2009.
I didn't see Crocker after the second quarter, possible injured. He might have had 2 or 3 handballs up to that stage.
Gwilt had a solid hitout, would have played 95% game time and looked fairly sharp. Still has his good skills and reads the play well, will be back in the senior side as soon as he's ready.
Saad got to plenty of contests, and kicked 3, but didn't have the impact he had in some of the games i saw last year. Good defensive side of the game.
Shenton, Andreoli and Minchington didn't do much. They are the sort of guys that will jump between the senior side and the development squad I imagine, until they start impacting the game a bit more.
Dunell was super I thought. For a rookie listed bloke, he didn't look far off the pace for a call up. Definetely got quieter as the day went on, but with good skills and excellent decision making, he was certainly in Sandy's best few. If they want to give Milera a week off in the next couple of rounds, they could do worse than give this guy a crack (after finding some magic way to upgrade him of course!!)

For what it's worth, the game was the most one sided, biased commentary I've heard since eddie last called a 'pies game, and the umpiring wasn't far behind, especially in the 2nd half.