Wilkes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Wilkes

He was our top goal kicker (with 3) and then Watters subs him straight after taking the mark of the night.

Go figure :?

Nevertheless, two goals with his first two kick at his new club was a fine start to his Sainthood.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:Watters subbbed him so its easier to drop him next week so he can get Kosi back in side.. Cant drop bloke if he kicks 5 or more goals!!
Rubbish.

Was the perfect move in the context of the match.

Should be happy we have a coach who can make moves according to the tone of where things are at, it was the game sealer for mine.

Polo was PERFECT for that last quarter, just perfect.

It was never going to be about leading forwards, it was going to be about in close contested footy, surely you get that?
rubbish post...Wilkes should never have been subbed,,,ask Watters

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
SainterK wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:Watters subbbed him so its easier to drop him next week so he can get Kosi back in side.. Cant drop bloke if he kicks 5 or more goals!!
Rubbish.

Should be happy we have a coach who can make moves according to the tone of where things are at, it was the game sealer for mine.

It was never going to be about leading forwards, it was going to be about in close contested footy, surely you get that?
Exactly. Any reasonable person who understands the game would know that. Just dont ask Gramps (Joffa)

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
SainterK wrote: Rubbish.

Exactly. Any reasonable person who understands the game would know that. Just dont ask Gramps (Joffa)
I wouldn't ask that idiot anything..... :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I was rubbishing the vibe of stkildathundas post that implied Watters did it on purpose so he can get Kosi back in the side.

I still think the move to take off a tall was the right one, as it was the wrong move to go in with so many.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

P.S. Doesn't Beau Wilkes look like Trey Parker's character from the movie Baseketball? :lol:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I was rubbishing the vibe of stkildathundas post that implied Watters did it on purpose so he can get Kosi back in the side.

I still think the move to take off a tall was the right one, as it was the wrong move to go in with so many.
the reality is they took off the wrong one..he was the best tall on the night...if you read the after match comment from Watters you'll know
he tried to reverse the decision to sub Wilkes....... :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
SainterK wrote:I was rubbishing the vibe of stkildathundas post that implied Watters did it on purpose so he can get Kosi back in the side.

the reality is they took off the wrong one..he was the best tall on the night...if you read the after match comment from Watters you'll know
Who do you think he should of subbed off?

He had 4 touches, 3 goals, up until that point of deciding to sub him off.

"We made the decision to get him off [because] we thought we needed to go a little bit smaller," Watters said.

I reckon this instinct was the correct one, Wilkes or otherwise.

Stanley was helping in the ruck, so Roo?

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Bloody hell do you seriously think i was serious with that post? Clearly i forgot the :sarcasm: image for that one... If any tall was subbed it should have been Gilbert or Riewoldt.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

"We made the decision to get him off [because] we thought we needed to go a little bit smaller," Watters said.

Watters has since fessed that they tried to reverse the decision to sub Wilkes..there is no defense for it...they f**ked up...
Why sub off someone who is getting the ball to leave on those who can't get near it....ludicrous......

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Roo? Yes. He'd had a stinker of a night, being too slow to get rid of the ball most times he did get his hands on it, fumbling it on others and didn't look like taking an overhead mark. Gilbert had also had either one or two possessions to that point (two to 3/4 time, reportedly). Goddard was also having a stinker and his kicking was dreadful.

Given that none of them are likely to be subbed off (especialy Roo and BJ) I would have looked at either Blake or Cripps, who had also had quiet nights.

As for your suggestion that it (Polo on and Wilkes off) was the "perfect move" I strongly disagree with that, as for much of the rest of the match Milne became our long kick target up forward and he was comprehensively beaten in at least 4 marking contests in that time (I counted 4 in the first half of the last quarter alone). I would have much preferred it if we'd been kicking it long to Wilkes (who had a height advantage on whoever he was on tonight) on those occasions, as he would have been far more likely than Milne (who was at a height disadvantage) to have marked it, or at the very least would have given a much better contest than Milne was able to.

It had also stopped raining by the last quarter, which would have played into Wilkes hands more than the middle two quarters, when it was more wet and slippery and not as suited to overhead marking.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Mid-way through the 3rd quarter and in a purple patch was a bit early for me. Polo on in the last quarter to shut things down in the wet, was a better fit in my view. Wilkes is not as "lumbering" as Kosi and did some good body work, which showed his experience.

Any chance of a "tall role" for him on the backline against the Hawks next week ??

paddy
Club Player

Kosi may struggle for selection after a good game by Wilkes!

I think kosi is a champ, but being a good bloke shouldn't get u automatically selected.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

so we won a game and a guy playing his first senior game after 18 months or so get his paper work lodged to be subbed off after 3 possessions and 2 goals. He kicks another goal after the paperwork is lodged, and coach is a bit worried about a tweak in his hammy.

Sounds pretty logical a decision by the coach ><

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Ajantis
Club Player

I dont regard polo as a quality player at the best of time, but that night the conditions didnt suit the talls. Watters mentioned about Polo being very good with contested ball and he decision was right when he got on the ground.
The wilkes decison was a mistake watters made and was aware of it, i am sure he didnt know you could reverse paperwork once the sub was lodged. I would have preferred to sub out blake or gram. I thought gram just doesnt seem to be interested in the game anymore.

Cheers.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:Kosi may struggle for selection after a good game by Wilkes!

I think kosi is a champ, but being a good bloke shouldn't get u automatically selected.
Utter rubbish.

Kosi automatic in. He's vital to our structure especially against good sides.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

fugazi wrote:Wilkes BOG and subbed off!!!!
BOG??? He had 5 possessions FFS, Kosi does this and everyone on here is calling for him to be dropped or traded or shot. Anyway I heard that Wilkes cured cancer, rid the world of poverty and brought peace to the middle east before he was subbed off

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Wilkes and Kosi both playing out of the goal square and Stanley and Roo playing further up the ground around the flanks and wing.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is a much more effective and creative player around the ground. Wilkes is a very solid option to have though. Great to see him do so well. He'll get plenty of games. Our fwds do have a tendency to fall over hurt. Doesn't strike me as the hardest working defensive forward going around. And I'd hardly say he was the fittest. Blowing up like a puffer fish most of the game. Still, he's ten times the player Charlie Gardiner was.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
ando051
Club Player

Wilkes was always going to be subbed off once the rain came. Scotty had 3 options, Rooey (Team captain and leader), Stanley (Back up second ruckman) or Wilkes. It was not the best weather conditions for a large forward. When Polo did come on, i thought he did and ok job.

It will be interesting this week if Wilke gets selected. I think he should, but can we play 4 talls?

Richter
SS Life Member

paddy wrote:Kosi may struggle for selection after a good game by Wilkes!

It's going to be interesting all right.... stats are about the same....

Kosi... 4 games... averaging... 10.5 possessions... 5.5 marks... 2.2 goals... 2.2 tackles... NB deadly accurate... NO BEHINDS!
Beau Wilkes.... 5/8th game..........5 possessions...... 4 marks... 3.1 goals..... 2 tackles... and that great mark...

Be happy either way, both in form. BUT for reasons of structure I think it would be wrong to play all of Kosi/Beau/Stanley/Rooey

At this stage I would also prefer to keep Stanley in the side as he is a way better 2nd ruck than Kosi and continues to develop...

Stanley... 5 games... averages... 12.6 possessions... 5.8 marks... 1.2 goals... 2.4 tackles... ALSO averaging 4.6 i50s per game (no.1 at St Kilda)
Rooey.... 5 games.... averages... 15.8 possessions... 6.2 marks... 2.2 goals... 2.8 tackles...

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...