Montagna clear to play

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Montagna clear to play

“(Match Review Panel Chairman) Mark Fraser has informed me that he is comfortable with my decision and that if the MRP had been aware that the contact was made by the knee the MRP would not have charged Montagna. I should add that when I carefully reviewed the video evidence before receiving the explanation in relation to the knee, I had not myself realised that this may have been what had occurred. Accordingly, in my view the MRP acted appropriately in bringing the charge against Mr Montagna on the basis of the evidence it had available.”
"The St Kilda Football Club is pleased with this outcome,” said St Kilda’s Head of Football Chris Pelchen.

“The Club was confident of successfully challenging the charge laid against Leigh Montagna, based on its understanding of what actually occurred.

“We’re happy that after the AFL considered all the players’ evidence, the charge was withdrawn,” concluded Pelchen.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Hate to say it....

But I told you it was his knee....

This game is a farce...seriously, its rigged.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

regardless of knee or not, it had accidental written all over it

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
stinger
Saintsational Legend

On the Bench wrote:James Magner is a class act. Interesting to see how many of the Saints talked to him on the ground after the game. Obviously a great bloke and seems to be well respected.
someone like to run past me again the reasons we passed on this bloke...... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:“(Match Review Panel Chairman) Mark Fraser has informed me that he is comfortable with my decision and that if the MRP had been aware that the contact was made by the knee the MRP would not have charged Montagna. I should add that when I carefully reviewed the video evidence before receiving the explanation in relation to the knee, I had not myself realised that this may have been what had occurred. Accordingly, in my view the MRP acted appropriately in bringing the charge against Mr Montagna on the basis of the evidence it had available.”
"The St Kilda Football Club is pleased with this outcome,” said St Kilda’s Head of Football Chris Pelchen.

“The Club was confident of successfully challenging the charge laid against Leigh Montagna, based on its understanding of what actually occurred.

“We’re happy that after the AFL considered all the players’ evidence, the charge was withdrawn,” concluded Pelchen.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

if you watch the reply..the guys commentating said at the time that it was an accidental knee

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
On the Bench wrote:James Magner is a class act. Interesting to see how many of the Saints talked to him on the ground after the game. Obviously a great bloke and seems to be well respected.
someone like to run past me again the reasons we passed on this bloke...... :roll:
He cannot kick and we already have enough players that struggle to kick but can find the ball well enough.

By that logic because I am a good bloke the club should draft me at the tender age of 25 because I am a good bloke and being a good bloke makes me a good bloke.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
stinger wrote:
He cannot kick and we already have enough players that struggle to kick but can find the ball well enough.

By that logic because I am a good bloke the club should draft me at the tender age of 25 because I am a good bloke and being a good bloke makes me a good bloke.
not my logic..don't pin someone else;'s comments on me.....i was basing my comments on the guy's football ability.....only player from the match to make the team of the week....the dees best player to date and the most possessions by any player in the vfl last year...the guy has serious football nous and is as tough as an old boot.....wins the hard ball......we should have picked him up.....but i will simply add him to my list of what might have been if our draft selectors had a brain between them to bless themselves with............darling...rioli...jack riewoldt.....sigh...... :roll: :roll:

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:

By that logic because I am a good bloke the club should draft me at the tender age of 25 because I am a good bloke and being a good bloke makes me a good bloke.[/quote]

not my logic..don't pin someone else;'s comments on me.....i was basing my comments on the guy's football ability.....only player from the match to make the team of the week....the dees best player to date and the most possessions by any player in the vfl last year...the guy has serious football nous and is as tough as an old boot.....wins the hard ball......we should have picked him up.....but i will simply add him to my list of what might have been if our draft selectors had a brain between them to bless themselves with............darling...rioli...jack riewoldt.....sigh...... :roll: :roll:[/quote]

so basically you have chosen all the successes and have not listed the failures of other clubs when we selected Sam Fisher at 55 or Gwilt at 8 million.

AdelaideSainter
Club Player

Pathetic initial decision by the MRP. Soft as butter.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
He's a bleeder.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

No harm done..

It gave the media a topic to run with and it also allowed some on here to vent or pontificate..

Joey gets to take the field and search for his form...

Next....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Anderson wouldn't know whether his f$%kin' @rse was on fire. Blind freddie could see Montagna didn't strike Magner. Now if they could charge Selwood his simulation for Raines' hit, the football world would be restored.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

It's a sign!!! Things are turning around for the saints!!

#1 Ryder fan
gringo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
stinger wrote:
He's a bleeder.
Exactly as hard as a cats head except around the facial area which is as soft as butter.

PJ
SS Life Member

I guess what bugs me about the way the MRP function is to assume guilt first on what is often inconclusive evidence then they proceed to past down the penalty which is made available to the media before any consultation with any of the parties. Then after mud is slung and the facts are made available they recant the decision - not a great process.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I guess what bugs me about the way the MRP function is to assume guilt first on what is often inconclusive evidence then they proceed to past down the penalty which is made available to the media before any consultation with any of the parties. Then after mud is slung and the facts are made available they recant the decision - not a great process.
It's like the plea bargain system in the US. Plenty have been sent to gaol for crimes they didn't commit because it saves dollars. Under Lyon we went soft and excepted every s*** decision, at least now we are ready to challenge and thus stop being the sacrificial lamb for the MRP to hone their skills on. The mrp are used to bullying the weaker clubs with less media profile as they are unlikely to pay for the legal costs and the penalties applied. After they were slapped in the media last week they needed a victim so they were like a dodgy cop out looking for a drunk teenager to chuck in the back of the divvie van and take to with the phonebook. Now they mightthink before pulling out the charge sheet of doom.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Strange business is the AFL tribunal system, guilty until proven innocent, unlike a normal legal system

andrewg
Club Player

Saints were almost going to get him but said we already had too many like him, Magner that is. Maybe the tide is turning gents, maybe things just might start falling into place for us!!! Mm we will see after sat night

gringo
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Saints were almost going to get him but said we already had too many like him, Magner that is. Maybe the tide is turning gents, maybe things just might start falling into place for us!!! Mm we will see after sat night
Hopefully we can nab your avatar and won't need the Mitsubishi.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

The MRP is and always has been a farce. One ludicrous decision after the other. It's comical how bad it is now.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
santazzi
Club Player

Hear hear........exactly my thought..........I raised a glass of beautiful Tassie Pinot.....for Magner...he is a man of honour.......a rear commodity this days

Griggsy
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:“(Match Review Panel Chairman) Mark Fraser has informed me that he is comfortable with my decision and that if the MRP had been aware that the contact was made by the knee the MRP would not have charged Montagna. I should add that when I carefully reviewed the video evidence before receiving the explanation in relation to the knee, I had not myself realised that this may have been what had occurred. Accordingly, in my view the MRP acted appropriately in bringing the charge against Mr Montagna on the basis of the evidence it had available.
Did they even look for evidence? 1 phone call would have cleared it. They would rather hand out a suspension instead of picking up a phone. The whole sentence and challenge system is a joke on the game. Do a proper investigation in the first place then there would be no need for challenges anyway! Makes you wonder how many unchallenged suspensions would have been avoided if they were reviewed well.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:
saintbrat wrote:“(Match Review Panel Chairman) Mark Fraser has informed me that he is comfortable with my decision and that if the MRP had been aware that the contact was made by the knee the MRP would not have charged Montagna. I should add that when I carefully reviewed the video evidence before receiving the explanation in relation to the knee, I had not myself realised that this may have been what had occurred. Accordingly, in my view the MRP acted appropriately in bringing the charge against Mr Montagna on the basis of the evidence it had available.
Did they even look for evidence? 1 phone call would have cleared it. They would rather hand out a suspension instead of picking up a phone. The whole sentence and challenge system is a joke on the game. Do a proper investigation in the first place then there would be no need for challenges anyway! Makes you wonder how many unchallenged suspensions would have been avoided if they were reviewed well.

a s pointed out by one commentator this evening
the MRP appear to have forgotten one of their abilities- to send cases for investigation- as the evidence wasn't clear, they should have done what the tribunal Chairman did - investigate further..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The current system is far from perfect, but at least there is the ability to appeal/review decisions.
Do we want to go back to having tribunal decisions appealed/overturned in the courts?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
avid
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
StPeter wrote:The comentators all declared accidental contact, nothing to answer, the Melbourne players obviously thought the same.....how did it go this far????

Ridiculous!!

Well I hope you dont complain when a commentator says it is clearly a free against one of our players when you think it isnt. I dont see a problem. there are 3 avenues with the tribunal, the MVP which does it on video eveidence, the tribunal where you present the case and the appeals. Joey got off because it was the wrong charge. The system worked. If they had to speak to players before the charges they wouldnt make the charges until about Friday and lets face how often would the players tell the truth anyway.

By and large I agree with Plugger.
Not completely though -- there's the question of how such a dubious charge got laid in the first place. What was their thinking??
P66 -- the system "worked" in that it reviewed and then dismissed the charge. But how is it "working" if it makes such a seemingly groundless charge in the first place?
I'm not complaining of bias, or anything like that. I'm just trying to see if there's some strange sort of mindset at work, or just a (stubbornly persisted with) human error.