What a joy to watch.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

What a joy to watch.

Whilst we may not win a premiership this season, the new look St Kilda is extremely enjoyable to watch.

There's a big touch of speed been added, there's an urgency to be move the ball at all costs, forward, and as a result of that, more opportunities for the forwards to be contesting one on one, AND, more than just Milney to feed on the crumbs.

I know it's still a work in progress, but its exciting football, and its great to watch my team playing very watchable football. Even against Hawthorn, St Kilda looked good in big patches, just not for four quarters.

So, to all the doomsdayers and negative nellies that seem to swamp this forum, (unless we're 15 - zip) stick your head in a bucket and pretend this exciting brand of football is just not happening.

GO SAINTS !!!
Last edited by Stephen Theodore on Tue 15 May 2012 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.

oh when the
Club Player

Re: What a joy to watch.

Its amazing the excitement young players can bring to a team, they give new life to the old players, plus at last we are playing enjoyable style of footy, that will win more games than lose.

No1_Saint
Club Player

It feels like 2004.

Go Saints!

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Yes it was beautiful football, to steal a soccer phrase.

So much fun to watch.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Our most exciting match by far this year. It's great to see the young guys adding some excitement and flair to our game.

It's always a great feeling to be looking forward to next week's game.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Junction Oval wrote:Our most exciting match by far this year.
Don't you mean the most exciting game to watch for the last 5 years? Under RL, it was great to win and make the grand finals, but let's face it, it was not the greatest spectacle. Last night was fantastic in all aspects. The excitement was electric. I cannot say that I ever felt that under RL, even in the Grand Final games.

As I said, it was great to win and make grand finals, but there is nothing like fast attacking football. Didn't realise how bad we were to watch until I watched a few Freo games this year. Winning and making grand finals can make you overlook how bad a game plan is to watch.

I think the RL departure and the new coach has been a great thing for our club, especially if we continue to produce that type of football.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

saint75 wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Our most exciting match by far this year.
Don't you mean the most exciting game to watch for the last 5 years? Under RL, it was great to win and make the grand finals, but let's face it, it was not the greatest spectacle. Last night was fantastic in all aspects. The excitement was electric. I cannot say that I ever felt that under RL, even in the Grand Final games.

As I said, it was great to win and make grand finals, but there is nothing like fast attacking football. Didn't realise how bad we were to watch until I watched a few Freo games this year. Winning and making grand finals can make you overlook how bad a game plan is to watch.

I think the RL departure and the new coach has been a great thing for our club, especially if we continue to produce that type of football.

Yep, too true.

I wouldn't contemplate bagging Ross Lyons systems and coaching style, but this new brand is going to be excitement plus.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Ill take a shoot out any day of the week over a 10 goal to 8 slog.

To me it seems that every player is enjoying playing footy again. The way they all sung the song was just fantastic. The smiles and the high fives show a team having fun out there. The shackles are off and the have a license to run and carry and be creative rather than stand around a stoppage 75 times a week. Its awesome and I hope the penny has now dropped and this is what we see on a regular basis

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

How soon we forget. I rather liked the 19 straight wins. I'd take that any day over 4 and 3.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:How soon we forget. I rather liked the 19 straight wins. I'd take that any day over 4 and 3.
How soon we forget.

This is Scotts first season.

2007 saw the Saints 4 and 3 at this point.

It was evident Ross had a plan, and for mine it's evident Scott has one also.

He deserves time surely?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
perfectionist wrote:How soon we forget. I rather liked the 19 straight wins. I'd take that any day over 4 and 3.
How soon we forget.

This is Scotts first season.

2007 saw the Saints 4 and 3 at this point.

It was evident Ross had a plan, and for mine it's evident Scott has one also.

He deserves time surely?
If 19 straight wins is to be the benchmark then I suppose we'll never be happy again :(

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Didn't win the big one though, did we? That is what we seem to forget. 19-0 was good, but still no flag. He didn't get us one. Hopefully we can rectify that over the next couple of years.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
Didn't win the big one though, did we? That is what we seem to forget. 19-0 was good, but still no flag. He didn't get us one. Hopefully we can rectify that over the next couple of years.
Winning as many as you lose is never going to win a flag, it is hardly likely to get a finals place let alone a top 4 spot. I have seen Saints supporters settle for second best too often over the years and that has been mirrored in many of the players too. Last week, we saw just we are in the fight for this year's flag. This week, we took one of the thirty nine steps.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:

Exactly
I'd take an 11/11 season , if we just made the finals , then went on to win 4 finals and ultimate premiership glory .
winning 19 in a row means nothing without a cup !

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just reckon both coaches came into the club with a plan.

Ross took a couple of seasons to implement his, Scott deserves a little time.

Can you not see where he trying to get to Perfectionist?

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Actually, I very much enjoyed the footy we played in BOTH narrow GF losses. If that drawn Grand Final was not one of the best spectacles of all time on a footy field, well I am the Sultan of Brunei.
That said, much of our play over the past few years has looked like rubbish designed to deconstruct any attacking game plan the other team might have thought about - effective but very very boring.
I love the new fast runners with free-license to roam and attack the goals, brilliant stuff which breaks up the general congestion in such a superb way. Now for some consistency. Go Saints!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:
saint75 wrote:
Winning as many as you lose is never going to win a flag, it is hardly likely to get a finals place let alone a top 4 spot. I have seen Saints supporters settle for second best too often over the years and that has been mirrored in many of the players too. Last week, we saw just we are in the fight for this year's flag. This week, we took one of the thirty nine steps.
Think you need to take your happy pills. If you were not impressed with the performance last night, then nothing is going to please you. You hold on tight to that 19-0 winning streak. I will take that exciting game last night that was a joy to watch over the heart-in-your-mouth, grind-out-a-win game plan that was NOT a great spectacle to watch. We are sitting 4-3 at the moment, but we won't remain there for long if we continue to play like we did last night. THAT is what Saints fans are so pleased about this morning. The potential of what we can achieve and the pleasure it is to watch is what is so damn exciting. Under RL, we were being smashed by the faster teams. Not so last night. With some great recruiting and tweaking of our game plan, we are going to BE one of those faster teams.

If you miss the RL style so much, don't panic. He is coaching a team named Freemantle and his game plan is on display at the moment.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:... If you were not impressed with the performance last night, then nothing is going to please you...
Criticising something I didn't say is rarely going to strengthen your point. I suggest you read more widely for my views on the win.

georgie girl
Club Player

I have gone along to the last couple of games thinking we probably wouldn't win but looking forward to seeing the young players coming through. Sure I loved it when we were winning nearly every week, but also enjoy watching this 'mini rebuild' and the excitement that it brings with it.
Also loving having Lenny back in the team. What an absolute champion!!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I think I read your post/s correctly. I am not debating your other posts on the forum. I am purely responding to what you have posted in this thread.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:
saint75 wrote:

Exactly
I'd take an 11/11 season , if we just made the finals , then went on to win 4 finals and ultimate premiership glory .
winning 19 in a row means nothing without a cup !

No one forgets that we didnt win the flag. End of story.

And seriously, who in the last 20 years had even made the premlins let alone a GF, let along winning a flag with 11 wins?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i really enjoyed winning under RL.
but not sure i have felt as exhilirated as i did last night watching a saints game since 2004.

philtee
Club Player

To anyone who hasn't bought a membership yet, if last night doesn't get you fired up, nothing will.
It's time to get on board.
Here's the link - http://www.saintsmembership.com.au/
Tally as of 15 May - 34,433. That's 5000 short of a few years ago...where are you all ?
3 game general admission memberships from $80.
3 game reserved seat memberships from $99.
Direct link here - http://www.saintsmembership.com.au/3-game-reserved.php
You know you want to !

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
No one forgets that we didnt win the flag. End of story.

And seriously, who in the last 20 years had even made the premlins let alone a GF, let along winning a flag with 11 wins?
Not 11 Wins but Carlton made a GF in 1999 with only 12. Can't see it happening again though!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."