How good is Stanley going to be?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

How good is Stanley going to be?

Probably the highlight for me last night was that goal by Stanley on the run. Not only did he read the play perfectly by deciding to run forward of the play he actually out-sprinted the midgets - and late in the game I might add - and then accepts the hand pass and puts on the after burner to slot the goal. I hope this guy gains the confidence to believe he can be a super star. He looks like a keeper along with a couple of his midget mates.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: How good is Stanley going to be?

Sorry guys just saw the other post on same topic. Oh well probably deserves two. Mods please delete.

Legendary
Club Player

Very good. One day we will see this guy play an unbelievable 4 quarters.

He was the hero of the last quarter. Kicked 2.1, and could easily have had 3. Took a massive contested park, used his blistering pace to kick the sealer and then picked up a bouncing ball below his knees and snapped it through off 3 steps from 40m ... all the while he was rucking ...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Very good. One day we will see this guy play an unbelievable 4 quarters.

He was the hero of the last quarter. Kicked 2.1, and could easily have had 3. Took a massive contested park, used his blistering pace to kick the sealer and then picked up a bouncing ball below his knees and snapped it through off 3 steps from 40m ... all the while he was rucking ...
Yeah very Buddy esque or am I getting carried away.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

As good as stanley wants to be !!!
He's just gotta kept working hard , he needs to follow up with a good game in the west .

In red white and black from 73
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Very good. One day we will see this guy play an unbelievable 4 quarters.

I hear they are calling Naitanui the Fijian Rhys Stanley. :wink: Seriously, he is very promising but needs to keep backing it up.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

He is a true thoroughbred racehorse. Awesome in a straight line, turning circle of a mack truch hahaha.
I've been a believer since draft day.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
mick13
Club Player

Munga wrote:He is a true thoroughbred racehorse. Awesome in a straight line, turning circle of a mack truch hahaha.
I've been a believer since draft day.
Good effort, I remember we read his name out (instead of Nick Heyne who everyone wanted) and everyone was like 'who the feck is that?'

Funny how things turn out. :o

Munga
Saintsational Legend

It was this one and only video that sold me at them time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7XkBvYFd0

Long accurate kick, strong pack mark, tackling, taps, intelligence.
He will be awesome no doubt.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I sponsored Rhys until this year and still catch up with him at functions ... the only thing holding him back is belief and experience ... but he is slowly gaining that. Just 21. In 2 to 3 years he will be a superstar of the game if he fills his potential. I now sponsor Jack Newnes ... similar story ... Jack needs to believe that he is good enough ... body development and confidence both need to grow.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
jays
Club Player

Will be a gun

supersaints
Club Player

Stanley is so sharp , he should be a knife!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Ross who?
Club Player

Rhys is really starting to find his feet at AFL level. He now has the confidence and backing of his peers and the coach/es. Did well against Nic Nat in NAB cup this year. Even his ruck work on Monday was good I thought. The stats showed a Blues dominance, but it is how you compete that has an influence on the taps. The tap over the back to Milne was A grade. Great grab in last quarter and really would have been great for him if he could of nailed the goal. Still only 21 and at 204cm still will take time. Anybody remember Peter Everitt at 21???

Blake Acres fan club VIP
defacto
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:I sponsored Rhys until this year and still catch up with him at functions ... the only thing holding him back is belief and experience ... but he is slowly gaining that. Just 21. In 2 to 3 years he will be a superstar of the game if he fills his potential. I now sponsor Jack Newnes ... similar story ... Jack needs to believe that he is good enough ... body development and confidence both need to grow.
Love reading backfromusa's posts. Very insightfull and a great read. You should post more often.

Without knowing the players like you do. I agree. Does anyone know how markworth and Webster are going?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:I sponsored Rhys until this year and still catch up with him at functions ... the only thing holding him back is belief and experience ... but he is slowly gaining that. Just 21. In 2 to 3 years he will be a superstar of the game if he fills his potential. I now sponsor Jack Newnes ... similar story ... Jack needs to believe that he is good enough ... body development and confidence both need to grow.
Love reading backfromusa's posts. Very insightfull and a great read. You should post more often.

Without knowing the players like you do. I agree. Does anyone know how markworth and Webster are going?

agree with you all.

we need to re-sign him quickly!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Stanley is so sharp , he should be a knife!
Cutting humour!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:

Agree about your comments re BFUSA :)

And from the injury thread;

"Jimmy Webster Shin 5-6 weeks"

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

I hear they are calling Naitanui the Fijian Rhys Stanley. :wink: Seriously, he is very promising but needs to keep backing it up.
I actually heard they were calling him the white Nic Nat and who said white men can't jump.

The Craw
Club Player

I would like to see him go up against Nick Nat on Sunday and play man on man around the ground unless resting. Would be a great match up to watch.

Not Craw, CRAW!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think that most of his improvement has come about by getting his tank to a better level.

Being able to run that extra hundred is getting him to more contests and making him a much harder match up.

He will be as good as he wants to be.

Watch his palm down to Milne with 8.45 left in the third quarter.

As good as he wants to be.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ross who? wrote:............. Still only 21 and at 204cm still will take time. Anybody remember Peter Everitt at 21???
Sorry to be a numbers pedant....can't help it. 200cms. According to the list on the club website.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

apparently he was rubbish at 18....and the hand wringing at his selection!

who knew big men take a few years to develop :)

all the best and hoping he continues to improve :)

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Ross who? wrote:............. Still only 21 and at 204cm still will take time. Anybody remember Peter Everitt at 21???
Sorry to be a numbers pedant....can't help it. 200cms. According to the list on the club website.
Not sure our website's all that accurate.

He was 200cms when he first walked in the door. This article from more than 2 years ago put him at 202cms.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 5837501011

"RHYS Stanley wants to cancel a myth. Yes, he's tall, standing 202cm. Yes, he's quick, having won the Grand Final sprint. But, no, he wasn't a basketballer who took up footy late......"

Who really knows what he is now?

mcadam05
Club Player

Munga wrote:It was this one and only video that sold me at them time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7XkBvYFd0

Long accurate kick, strong pack mark, tackling, taps, intelligence.
He will be awesome no doubt.

this Video is just as good :)

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Not sure our website's all that accurate.

He was 200cms when he first walked in the door. This article from more than 2 years ago put him at 202cms.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 5837501011

"RHYS Stanley wants to cancel a myth. Yes, he's tall, standing 202cm. Yes, he's quick, having won the Grand Final sprint. But, no, he wasn't a basketballer who took up footy late......"

Who really knows what he is now?
Thanks for that. Taller the better....