Roo's 3qrt time dummy spit and follow on affect

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo's 3qrt time dummy spit and follow on affect

jonesy wrote:My advice: Stewart Loewe was the best mark in AFL/VFL history,so shut your gob,you're embarrassing yourself
Stewart Loewe: career average 7.8 marks per game
Nick Riewoldt: career average 8.7 marks per game.

Stewie was delight to watch, especially since he was in our colours. But, not only will Nick end up having the most marks ever in AFL/VFL history, he is also likely to have the top average. This will be a rare achievement for any player, let alone a Saints player. Of the top players for marks in a season, Nick has four titles, two more (so far) than any other player (including Stewie who has one) since records began.

On the other hand, we have never had a shortage of ignorant clowns.

paulski
Club Player

Stewie's the best mark I've ever seen, and mostly in a s*** team.

Rooey great on the lead, Buckets incredible pack mark. Made the footy look tiny!

noob
Club Player

Today's average disposals back then is way down on todays average. Its about 380 disposals and 100 marks a game.. compared to about 300 disposals and 70 marks a game, 15 years ago. Stewart Loewe simply had amazing marking ability. Riewoldt is always going to win because of the fast pace style of the last few years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Roo created a lot of marking opportunities due to his athletic ability - Has a great leap and aerobic capacity. Loewe on the other hand relied more on his pure marking ability. Loewe well ahead IMO. Stats can be misleading especially in todays keepings off and high possession game style.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Loewe: Better pack mark / stronger mark
Roo: Better leading mark / marks more often

Both Champs.

Just like Roo and Hayes. Both Champs. I think Lenny should be captain but that doesn't for one second mean I am putting Roo down at all. There is no undercurrent of hatred toward him, there is no questioning his ability or that he has earned the respect of the football world and that he is unquestionably not only a champion player but also a terrific leader.

My case for Lenny as captain is not built upon any anti-rooism, but on the premise that I thought was well known that when picking the captain of the team, you're not just looking for the most skillful, or important, or 'best' player. The best fit for captain should also command automatic and unquestioned respect, should lead by example, and, very importantly, should have a level-headed temperament and not be prone to bursts of anger or hot-headedness.

Geelong knew this when they had King, Harley, and Ling as captains despite having G. Ablett and a plethora of other guns in the side.

Collingwood knew this when they made Maxwell captain.

Hawthorn knew this when they took the captaincy from Mitchell and gave it to Hodge. Does anyone think Mitchell is less of a player now that he's not captain? I don't, I think he's a gun, and a great leader, and his football has improved if anything since he relinquished the captsincy, and that and in certain circumstances he would be best fit for captain, but that under these circumstances Hodge is best fit.

Which brings me back to Roo. He has served admirably as captain for the past five years. Congratulations on a terrific job, Nick. But IMHO not only the club, but also roo himself will be best served if we move the post on to someone else as of 2013. It relieves Nick of a lot of pressure and responsibilities and allows him to just concentrate on playing his best football for the rest of his career. AND even though you've set an exceedingly high standard, we have the one single candidatate who can in all legitimacy make a case that that standard will not only be matched, it will be exceeded. As an astounding example as Roo sets, Lenny Hayes is peerless.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
saintly
Saintsational Legend

although i love him, not Lenny for captain, need a younger player to lead the team.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
jonesy wrote:My advice: Stewart Loewe was the best mark in AFL/VFL history,so shut your gob,you're embarrassing yourself
Stewart Loewe: career average 7.8 marks per game
Nick Riewoldt: career average 8.7 marks per game.

Stewie was delight to watch, especially since he was in our colours. But, not only will Nick end up having the most marks ever in AFL/VFL history, he is also likely to have the top average. This will be a rare achievement for any player, let alone a Saints player. Of the top players for marks in a season, Nick has four titles, two more (so far) than any other player (including Stewie who has one) since records began.

On the other hand, we have never had a shortage of ignorant clowns.
Loewe would of averaged 14 marks a game if he had of played under a roof for half of his career and not out in the elements. As good as Roo is,he is no where near the mark Stewie was, not even close. Got a stat for contested marks?

Bring back the Lockett era
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

resaintlee wrote:I see this as much less an issue than BJ's attitude of late. No matter where he is he is pressuring for the ball and when he has it he tends to ignore the bottom 12 and make an often costly attempt to pass to a name rather than a player.....
.....His head doesn't seem to be in the right place at the moment and his diposals were too often disappointing.
I don't think Goddard's attitude was poor last night.....how do you come up with that.

He had 25 poss (11 contested) 76% Eff 4 marks 4 clearances 3 tackles 13 'pressure acts' 1 assist & 6 score involvements. Go figure.

Stats are not everything....only had 2 clangers so how were his disposals disappointing?

On topic, I'm surprised at the folks having a go at the Captain - who is entitled to give a spray sometimes. That said, it looked to me like Riewoldt was covered - maybe he didn't know.....
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Mon 28 May 2012 4:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Was it really a dummy spit?

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

BigMart wrote:If Roo called for the ball and made a meal of it.... He should not escape a spray either. I see nothing wrong with demanding excellence from each and every individual.

Mistakes can be excused.... Effort, intensity or stupidity should not be...

If thats the case, then Roo deserves a spray for missing that set shot from 30 meters out directly in front in the 2nd quarter that would have put some real breathing space between the sides. It's all well and good to demand excellence from others, but it looks a bit pig-headed when you don't deliver it yourself, especially if you're captain of the team. This wouldn't be such a problem if Roo wasn't captain. If he was relieved of the captaincy, then he could give sprays whenever he wanted, like BJ, but as captain he needs to have a cooler temperament, like Lenny.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
rexy
SS Life Member

Pretty baffled by this thread, have no issues with Roo being called out for the "dummy spit" and hopefully he would have been called out for it by the coach already. Not sure why we need to turn it into a bashing of one of the best saints players and leaders many of us have ever seen?

Maybe this year?
MrCordz
Club Player

I noticed a change in the way Milera played after the dummy spit - very selfish Roo

Humbly St. Kilda
Joffa 5
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:You spelled 'missus' wrong but she is certainly worth a page 3 spread..
EFA :twisted:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hungary, did you not read what you quoted??

Mistakes/skill errors happen..... Poor decisions/efforts are a mindset...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Don't underestimate the pack/contested/one out marking ability of Riewoldt...... He led the league in contested marks three times....

kimberly saint
Club Player

Only one way to settle this, good old fashion one on one traiing drill. I read loewe still does bit carpentry around the traps for the club. Get him to don the boots to solve this debate.
Buckets was a much better all round mark, i would even take him having a set shot goal over nic.