Saints v Richmond - Friday Night Footy - preview

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Saints v Richmond - Friday Night Footy - preview

Must stop Cotchin..

Seriously, this kid is the next midfield superstar, and has a head full of hair like out great R. Harvey... CJ needs to be so close he can count each strand...

keep him to 15 touches and no goals/goal assists, and we're half way there...

I think we'll win, and win comfortably (and the media will really get on board next week as we show we are serious contenders), but the tigers deserve credit, they've come along way and have a bright future..

Really looking forward to Simpkin doing a number on the lesser Riewoldt...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Really looking forward to Simpkin doing a number on the lesser Riewoldt...
Speaking of… I'm looking pretty silly this week after calling Jack a dud last week :(

I'm not confident of a win against the Tigers at the moment, I thought they were very good the week before against a flying Essendon.

Actually think we are similar kinds of sides at the moment, both showing a lot of guts and hard work, but lacking a little class by foot to always beat the better sides.

Should be a great game. Cotchin, Martin, Deledio v Hayes, Steven, Dal Santo.

On top of losing Lenny, I thought the draw last year was a terrible game of footy. This year will be a much more entertaining game, one way or another.

Hopefully we can overwhelm them with pressure like the swans & I don't think they will be looking forward to the Saad/Milne/Milera experience.

Think we need Gears to take that little tatted-moron.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

mcadam05 wrote:Just for a warm up i posted the rd 4 '68 game. Big Carl is AWESOME !!

Thanks mate!! Love your work. This vids keep me company if I'm home from work sick or stuck on a tram or something. Great times.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Should be a cracking contest. I hope everyone keeps pumping up Richmond's tyres all week!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote: the big mullet is playing really well for them and could cause some headaches for us
I guess Lenny, Jack, Armo and the likes have been watching highlights of the mullet...just need to rove off him

mcadam05
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:Has there ever been a Bigger StKilda vs Richmond game???? I can't think of one
1971 Preliminary Final at (I believe) Waverley. I'm predicitng the same result. :twisted:

(McA, your archives may have some footage?)

ask for and you shall receive ;)

Johnny Favier
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:Has there ever been a Bigger StKilda vs Richmond game???? I can't think of one
Anzac Day in the 90's at Waverley with 75K

I remember that game too - Richmond jumped us early, before we reeled them in and won comfortably in the end - it was an unexpectedly large crowd - a bit like the Queen's birthday Collingwood game in 1992 at the MCG when we had 85,000 and they shut the gates! Anyway, I digress...looking forward to this week's game - should be a ripper!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

afl.com.au Preview is up

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

and ends with
AFL.com.au prediction: St Kilda by 14 points

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mcadam05
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:afl.com.au Preview is up

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

and ends with
AFL.com.au prediction: St Kilda by 14 points

do we overlook the fact the reviewer didn't know where last years game was played :? lol

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

or the fact they mention that Sandy are on a break so to speak but then suggest that maybe Gilbo go back.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
sainter#4
Club Player

i have gone through my weekly routine and scoured opposition forums for their opinions on our matches...conclusion - NO TIGER RATES US.

we are seen as easily accounted for, our midfield is nothing compared to theirs and just are given no credit to be perfectly honest...

all i want is to smash them on friday night

matrix
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
matrix wrote: the big mullet is playing really well for them and could cause some headaches for us
I guess Lenny, Jack, Armo and the likes have been watching highlights of the mullet...just need to rove off him

good call K
but im worried about his marking when he pushes forward and/or back

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Maric is least of my worries to be honest. Our guys are reading the taps pretty well.

More of a concern to me is Cotchin, Martin etc.

Richmond are playing a pretty quick style it must be said. Even when they're behind good sides, they managed to score quickly to keep themselves in it by moving the ball accurately and slickly.

Haven't said it for years, but I reckon Richmond are a real handful for us.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Must stop Cotchin..

Seriously, this kid is the next midfield superstar, and has a head full of hair like out great R. Harvey... CJ needs to be so close he can count each strand...

keep him to 15 touches and no goals/goal assists, and we're half way there...
Any chance we can win with Cotchin starring? I mean I have him in my super coach team. Just traded him in. As well as Delidio.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Maric is least of my worries to be honest. Our guys are reading the taps pretty well.

Richmond are playing a pretty quick style it must be said. Even when they're behind good sides, they managed to score quickly to keep themselves in it by moving the ball accurately and slickly.

i actually think we will match up pretty well compared to recent games. the dour style let them run over us a little too much, we now have a similar style of play and have been matching up better with the fast ball moving teams than we did under Lyon. Multiple avenues to goal help us be a little less easy to defend as well.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Thinline wrote:Maric is least of my worries to be honest. Our guys are reading the taps pretty well.

i actually think we will match up pretty well compared to recent games. the dour style let them run over us a little too much, we now have a similar style of play and have been matching up better with the fast ball moving teams than we did under Lyon. Multiple avenues to goal help us be a little less easy to defend as well.
Fair point. In recent times they have scored quickly by charging up the middle and doing an Essendon on our arses. Will be interesting to see if our talent one on one can surpass structure as a reason for winning.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Let's hope the media keep pumping them up. I remember that draw last year.... Our kicking at goal was utterly terrible that night... I think Milney kicked something like 2.7. I watched the game live against Hawthorn and yeah Richmond played well but Hawthorn put the white flag up VERY early... It was one of those games where Hawthorn just thought they could roll up and get the win, the energy and effort just wasn't there. Still pretty confident about Friday night even after 3 six day breaks.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Oh and I hope we start Blakey in the ruck against the mullet... He can have the ruck taps but I hope Blakey runs him right into the turf the other way.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So who has Maric come up against?

Their recent wins were against

Hale/Roughead
Pyke/LRT

He should of won those ruck battles.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What is the Tiggers recently record at Jihad like?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Hallalj#3
Club Player

Johnny Favier wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Anzac Day in the 90's at Waverley with 75K

I remember that game too - Richmond jumped us early, before we reeled them in and won comfortably in the end - it was an unexpectedly large crowd - a bit like the Queen's birthday Collingwood game in 1992 at the MCG when we had 85,000 and they shut the gates! Anyway, I digress...looking forward to this week's game - should be a ripper!

Pretty Sure it was 98 queens birthday. Richmond were 8 goals to 3 at quarter time. We won by 20 odd points in the end.. Sam newman said after the game it was the game of the decade..

mcadam05
Club Player

10000 Tickets still available so say 3aw