Crucial umpiring call against us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Crucial umpiring call against us

8856brother wrote:Not good enough simple as that.
add Fisher, geary, maca, Ryhs, and Schneids and we're good enough.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Agree.

8856brother wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Agree.

So who goes out for those players????? Newnes, Gilbert maybe then who? People have been crying out for Ledger as well!!!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

In the third quarter millera got a fifty metre penalty inside the centre square , he was closer to the centre circle than he was to the richmond end , yet the umpire only brought him down to st kilda end of the square , 40 metres at best !!!!
He should have been having a shot from just inside fifty !!!

In red white and black from 73
Turbo
Club Player

Fazer wrote:In the first quarter on our half foward flank Milne clearly gets tripped - no free, Richmond run the ball down and score a goal. By the way does retarted mean you've been give additional tarts??
I saw it at the time and was astounded it was missed by the Umps, is deliberate tripping still reportable?

Some time soon.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Take Jumping Jack out of the equation, I'm confident we would have won. I know, hindsight and all their bullocks, but he was the only part of their forward line who looked like kicking a winning score. He's their barometer, him playing well was always going to decide whether they win or not, because the only matchup we had for him was also our best ruck option. Keep him quiet, game was back in our hands, he get's off the leash, game over.

Tigers deserved their win, but Jack won it off his own boot.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Thought the montagna marking contest was hilarious..... Joey goes how was that a mark?..... The idiot goes, he controlled it..... Joey you sure, check the replay....... Ump, I don't want to see the replay...

Not sure you do either.
Yeah, that was laughable. Problem is, they love getting in the game don't they? Bit like the runner free-kick. Umps chance to wave the rule book. Sensible umpiring would be, poor kick, you take the consequences.

I would be playing that rule to our advantage call our players to run behind the opposition runner and kick to them when in our forward line- free kick every time and a near certain goal. The tigers kicked straight at our runner and we were penalised? Sydney Cheer squad throw the ball in just as the quick kick in come out and have the ball called back nearly every game and they let them get away with it, we should have our own trick . Clarko loves the interchange run on and play through the guy just coming on.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 1zq6f.html

How Milne didn't get a free for the trip is beyond me.

kalsaint
Club Player

1 goal 8 behinds versus 3 goals 3 behinds in the 3 rd quarter was the blow.

This was predominatly based on poor decision taken and shot selections in front of goal. Milera's mistake was just 1 of 4 potential goals that became behinds.

We won the last quarter marginally with both teams kicking 6 goals each.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Always find it hilarious that some people will try and blame every loss we have on umpiring...

Tigers got a couple of shockers too. Roo's first free was soft as butter and Jake Kings mark not paid in the 2nd qtr was a joke. Yes we got some ordinary ones too but overall it didnt cost us the game.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 1zq6f.html

Really? Umpire 21 saw it, saw who was tripped and so did not pay it. Like Adam Schneider, Stephen Milne simply does not get frees regardless of what is done to him. There may well be players in other clubs who get the same treatment, but I don't watch other clubs. If there is no conspiracy, the umpire concerned (S Meredith) should be dropped for at least ten weeks for such an egregious error - a real injury can occur from a deliberate trip with the foot. No doubt, the umpire, instead, has been pencilled in for a final.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Always find it hilarious that some people will try and blame every loss we have on umpiring...

Tigers got a couple of shockers too. Roo's first free was soft as butter and Jake Kings mark not paid in the 2nd qtr was a joke. Yes we got some ordinary ones too but overall it didnt cost us the game.
I didn't read that anyone was blaming the umps for the loss but how they could miss such a glaring free kick..

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:

Really? Umpire 21 saw it, saw who was tripped and so did not pay it. Like Adam Schneider, Stephen Milne simply does not get frees regardless of what is done to him. There may well be players in other clubs who get the same treatment, but I don't watch other clubs. If there is no conspiracy, the umpire concerned (S Meredith) should be dropped for at least ten weeks for such an egregious error - a real injury can occur from a deliberate trip with the foot. No doubt, the umpire, instead, has been pencilled in for a final.
If he saw it, why didn't he pay it?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

If he saw it, why didn't he pay it?
Apparently because there is a conspiracy among umpires to allow opponents to do anything whatsoever to Milne and no free kick will be paid.

This type of thing did happen once upon a time in Rugby League (there was an excellent book by Roy Masters 20 odd years ago which revealed that some refs used to tell the players things like "the next punch on player X won't be paid a penalty", presumably as a squareup for a penalty given in the past which the ref later worked out was staged). Further back in time, the refs were sometimes on the take from SP bookies (one GF between, I think, Wests and St George, is said to have been fixed). But I have never seen any evidence that umps have ever done this sort of stuff in the AFL.

What wouldn't surprise me is if, when Milne falls to the ground after contact, the umpires tend to look at it pretty sceptically. I can't say that I blame them. I would imagine that the thing the umps hate more than anything else is awarding a free and then watching the game later on and seeing it was a dive. If I were an ump, I'd feel much more pissed off about doing this than I would about missing a free kick that was there. So, with the Milnes of this world, I would never be going to guess: if I didn't see the contact, I would call play on.

I saw the tripping incident on TV, and my initial reaction was it was a dive. Then I saw on the replay that it wasn't. Milne has brought all of this on himself by his longstanding tendency to dive to get free kicks, plus his legitimate move of falling to the ground and getting up again to evade tackles.

I think the current standard of AFL umpiring is distressingly low, but I can't blame them for seeing the likes of Milne and Schneider as phonies.

The one interesting question about the trip is whether or not the player will be cited by the MRP.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It never looked like a dive MB, it looked like a deliberate trip, hence why Saints fans were so vocal at that moment.

Milnes mistake was to expect the free, he just has to play on until the whistle is blown.

The umpire will be taken to task for that one you'd expect.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It never looked like a dive MB, it looked like a deliberate trip.
I agree it looked like a deliberate trip, but my first reaction was that it had missed the mark and that Milne had collapsed anyway. But I guess I hadn't considered the possibility that an attempted trip that misses still warrants a free? Does anyone know if this is correct?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
PLUGGER14
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
The one interesting question about the trip is whether or not the player will be cited by the MRP.
Already has been...see link in your quoted post.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
SainterK wrote:It never looked like a dive MB, it looked like a deliberate trip.
I agree it looked like a deliberate trip, but my first reaction was that it had missed the mark and that Milne had collapsed anyway. But I guess I hadn't considered the possibility that an attempted trip that misses still warrants a free? Does anyone know if this is correct?
How did it miss MB?

He stuck his leg out in front of Milne and he fell over?

Very dangerous.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

PLUGGER14 wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Already has been...see link in your quoted post.
Nah...That article is just speculating at likely MRP findings...Results are usually announced by 5:00pm today.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

No free for attempted trip.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I didn't notice the umpiring really beyond the Montagna non-mark mark which sucked, but King's trip was a blatant howler that definitely cost a goal. I'll almost ALMOST forgive Milne for not playing the whistle such was the obviousness of the trip. Really, WTF was King thinking? Quite funny in a way...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

1 goal 8 behinds in the third term. That is all.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Don't blame the umps, we badly missed an extra tall (Mc Evoy, Stanley) to drop back into defence and float around the ground. Schneids would have been very handy too, just to slot his usual couple of majors.

Richter
SS Life Member

Fazer wrote:In the first quarter on our half foward flank Milne clearly gets tripped - no free, Richmond run the ball down and score a goal. By the way does retarted mean you've been give additional tarts??
Yep, this was the one that really got my goat.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
meher baba wrote:

No free for attempted trip.
Is it attempted if he actually tripped him? Attempted would suggest he missed. When he tripped over you would suggest the trip was more than an attempt it was successful.