Well done Robbo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Well done Robbo

True Believer wrote:
Gwilt Edged wrote:"Wog" short for "golliwog"
Is is really?

Never knew that. Mind you I never really thought about it, but interesting to see where terms originate, helps to understand how the term came to be be offfensive originally?

I've heard short for Western oriental gentleman too. Bit off the way it was eventually applied though. With Greek and Italians it probably doesn't have so much derogatory meaning today with the kids of immigrants but might still piss off people that copped it when they arrived. People are racist toward Somalis and Indians more these days. Earlier in the season I was to the right hand side of the cheer squad at the dome a blonde lady who would have been in her 40s and a bogan Saints fan kept talking about the "curry" we had playing for us who I eventually worked out was Milera. They thought he was going ok but kept using the term over and over. Nothing like an idiot and a racist.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I admire what Thomas did because he could have avoided it altogether, but the way the Auld at the GC dripped all over him like he was some sort opt demigod for doing what any normal person should do reeked of an apprentice trying to brownnose his boss. Annoying.

I would like to know what came first. Wilkinson's complaint? Or Thomas's? Given their proximity on the field Thomas would have looked like an A grade dribbler had he been second to it. Cynic in me always reckon the Pies will do what they can to make themselves look good...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'll wait until the evening of 4 August before deciding if a leopard can really change its spots !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

It was probably the most decent act anyone in black and white ever committed to me. Remember Pies president Allan Mc Alister and his bagging of Winmar and the whole circus. As a sport we have come a long way.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:It was probably the most decent act anyone in black and white ever committed to me. Remember Pies president Allan Mc Alister and his bagging of Winmar and the whole circus. As a sport we have come a long way.
Was it McAlister who made the statement "Aboriginal players are welcome at our club as long as they can behave like white people"?

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote: He was called a wog and dim-sim in his playing days but it didn't bother him. I reckon "wog" isn't really racist - unlike what aboriginals have been called.

Disagree. You guys are getting overly PC and can't see the difference here.

I mean FFS we've had a show called "Wogs out of Work" a few years back.

It worries me if ppl can't find the right balance.
Personally, I think the 'Wogboy' and 'Wogs out of Work' etc are woeful creations that have done more harm than good... Led by that unfunny moron Nick Giannopoulos, it's allowed other morons, like you SP, to consider it ok to throw the word around like any other...

It's not ok... Nothing to do with being PC... 'PC' is increasingly the common way for prejudice people to justify their beliefs..

I would love for SP to call my old man a wog, even in the 'right balance' he thinks it works in, and see what happens...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
gringo wrote:It was probably the most decent act anyone in black and white ever committed to me. Remember Pies president Allan Mc Alister and his bagging of Winmar and the whole circus. As a sport we have come a long way.
Was it McAlister who made the statement "Aboriginal players are welcome at our club as long as they can behave like white people"?
I think so. They then had lots of media on it and then some comical display with a guy who pointed the bone at them which made the whole Winmar incident lose it's historical significance. The media beat it up as some battle between the primitive witch doctor with his naive beliefs against the Pies and turned the whole thing into a circus. Mc Alister went about saying outrageous racist statements in the media and smirking off the bone pointing. Not the greatest moment in race relations but has shown how far we have come as a sport and as people.

rexy
SS Life Member

Gwilt Edged wrote:"Wog" short for "golliwog"

It's one thing to adopt the label - ironic or not - and another to apply it
not sure thats true!

I thought the term wog was first used in reference to chinese who came out during the gold rush and was an acronym for Western Oriental Gentlemen, it was later adapted for the large number of italian/greek migrants in the 60s without really being truly relevant to them! Heard of poms calling black people golliwogs but dont think that has any ties to the aussie word wog.

Maybe this year?
Kris1
Club Player

In the UK, where I come from, the term wog is a racial slur used with very negative connotations towards black africans. I would guess this is derived from the term golliwog.

It was quite a surprise coming here and hearing people talk openly about wogs and it took some time to work out exactly what they were referring to. Quite different to the UK, but in this day and age really no more acceptable.

From the Victorian Equal Opportunities and Human Rights Commission:
"The Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001 makes it against the law to vilify a person or group of people because of their race or religion. Vilification is behaviour that incites or encourages hatred of, serious contempt for, revulsion or severe ridicule of another person or group of people because of their race or religion."

Austinnn
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
saintspremiers wrote: He was called a wog and dim-sim in his playing days but it didn't bother him. I reckon "wog" isn't really racist - unlike what aboriginals have been called.

Disagree. You guys are getting overly PC and can't see the difference here.

I mean FFS we've had a show called "Wogs out of Work" a few years back.

It worries me if ppl can't find the right balance.
Personally, I think the 'Wogboy' and 'Wogs out of Work' etc are woeful creations that have done more harm than good... Led by that unfunny moron Nick Giannopoulos, it's allowed other morons, like you SP, to consider it ok to throw the word around like any other...

It's not ok... Nothing to do with being PC... 'PC' is increasingly the common way for prejudice people to justify their beliefs..

I would love for SP to call my old man a wog, even in the 'right balance' he thinks it works in, and see what happens...
Agree. SP, times have changed. Eventually you'll have to accept that. Go up to someone not anglo/white that you don't know and use the terminology you use on here and see what response you get if you don't believe us.
Kris1 wrote:In the UK, where I come from, the term wog is a racial slur used with very negative connotations towards black africans. I would guess this is derived from the term golliwog.

It was quite a surprise coming here and hearing people talk openly about wogs and it took some time to work out exactly what they were referring to. Quite different to the UK, but in this day and age really no more acceptable.

From the Victorian Equal Opportunities and Human Rights Commission:
"The Racial and Religious Tolerance Act 2001 makes it against the law to vilify a person or group of people because of their race or religion. Vilification is behaviour that incites or encourages hatred of, serious contempt for, revulsion or severe ridicule of another person or group of people because of their race or religion."
I had exactly the same experience! Then again, the term Slaphead is far more offensive in Australia, whereas in England it just refers to a bald man. I got quite a shock using it in Australia for the first time!

good to see Robbo picking up Malthouse and others here picking up McGuire on their recent uses of vilification. Pies finally getting the message perhaps. But as discussed on another thread (this is the 4th one on this issue in one week!) all clubs have racists and bigots, not just Collingwood.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I alwats believed that wog stood for "Worthy Oriental Gentleman" in a sarcastic manner. I believe it originated with the British in India or the Middle East.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Good on Thomas (who I think is a decent bloke and a great footballer) one can only hope that this example will be followed by others.

Hopefully spectators. Some of the crap you hear at footy is disgusting.
Whats the point? I arked up at a young guy at the carlton match who called milne a rapist and not ONE person bcked me up. In fact most argued the point of calling the teenager on it. People seem to really not care anymore which is a little sad.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Good on Thomas (who I think is a decent bloke and a great footballer) one can only hope that this example will be followed by others.

Whats the point? I arked up at a young guy at the carlton match who called milne a rapist and not ONE person bcked me up. In fact most argued the point of calling the teenager on it. People seem to really not care anymore which is a little sad.

Keep it up. You will embarrass the moron. Someone said the same thing early in the game last week and after I told him quite politely to shut up , he did.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Agreed. When you call people out and put them on blast they shut it.