Jack Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Newnes

St Ick wrote:Big, early, stupid call but I can see glimpses of Dal and Pendles in him, which from memory is what coaching staff alluded to on draft day. At the moment I can only see glimpses but he is a goodun. Id be happy to carry him moreso than a Gram, Gilbert or similar.
Funny you mention Dal, I reckon the start to his career reminds me of the way Dal started.
I think he has class written all over him.

noob
Club Player

lovely knock on at the end there!

Beekay
SS Life Member

he's legit.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He looked good tonight against the weak pressure of GC.

You can see he has footy "smarts"....and why the coaches have faith in him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Kicking is great under pressure.

Composed.

Seems to have a burst of speed as well.

Like him a lot.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's clearly going to be a player down the track. Doesn't need the excuse of age/experience when it comes to courage and looks like he can certainly play.

Excellent draft choice.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

From what I've seen so far, Newnes along with Sippos look our best recruits over the last two seasons (mature recruits excluded).

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tom Ledger, and you'll find Seb Ross will be good..... But has too many in front of him to be considered

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

He started a bit shaky, but has progressively gotten better each game, and looks as thoug he'll continue to do so!

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
saint6709
Club Player

He has taken me by suprise - still can't work out where he came from - and keeps getting a game seemingly from nowhere - still not in our 22 I wouldn't think - BUT has been very good and will hopefully be a great player in years to come

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

gradual improvement is good enough for me, he really shows bits
and Siposs accruing 108 dream team points is a sensation and good for his confidence. normally would have had three goals.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Badlands
Club Player

loved what i saw from Newnes last night. Really think he's going to be something. When it's been a bit hotter in the kitchen he's been prone to the odd panicked handpass, but he hasn't tended to go into his shell after a mistake. Last night though I thought he looked really composed and his skills looked polished.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I still don't know exactly why Newnes crept down the draft order. I saw quite a few phantom drafts which had him a lot higher, closer to top 20. If anything he's a bit one-paced which may have scared recruiters off. But you cannot beat footy smarts, and he has that in spades...Good disposer of the ball and decision maker. We need more of them!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Badlands wrote:loved what i saw from Newnes last night. Really think he's going to be something. When it's been a bit hotter in the kitchen he's been prone to the odd panicked handpass, but he hasn't tended to go into his shell after a mistake. Last night though I thought he looked really composed and his skills looked polished.
It's not really pressure mistakes so much as he looks a little lost for positioning at time and lets his man free. I loved in the Richmond game that when our senior guys saw Jack R running on his own onto a loose ball they stopped but he chased from the forward line back even though there was no point, he was cramping up and still ran through the pain. Great sign from a determined kid.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Very good last night. Glad he played. Will do his confidence plenty of good.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
PJ
SS Life Member

Good game for Jack to gain a bit of confidence but seriously the opposition was woeful. He needs to learn to not panic under pressure - there was no pressure last night. Hopefully he'll keep getting some game time when the full list is available.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

hungry for a premiership wrote:He started a bit shaky, but has progressively gotten better each game, and looks as thoug he'll continue to do so!
I totally agree Hungry. He has looked better the longer he's been out there. This is why I'm so keen to get some continuity into our young guns who have shown the signs for the future. Give 'em games and they'll improve and continue to reward us...

PS: I was particularly impressed late in the last quarter, on the wing..., Jack gathered, put the foot down to run clear of Gablett, and then speared a long and accurate pass into the forward line. Sure, Gablett may have been slightly tired after spending yet another game mouthing off at his young team mates, but young Jack can still put the pedal to the metal, and then balance himself to kick accurately. Pleasing. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
defacto
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Did ok wont be saying he 200 gamer just yet...
only 195 to go

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Great work rate and attitude - a great lesson for Crocker!