Saints v Crows - preview & discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints v Crows - preview & discussion

Last time they met
St Kilda Saints 5.1 10.2 14.11 19.13 = 127 def Adelaide Crows 1.2 2.5 2.6 3.6 = 24
Brownlow Votes: 3: S Milne, 2: N Dal Santo, 1: B Goddard

Doesn’t feel like that long ago that St Kilda thrashed an uninspired Crows line up by 103pts, and the man with two first names got the sack. The names haven’t really changed for the Crows, but the output is finally realising close to it’s potential under new coach Sanderson.

Saints have already lost at AAMI this year, and would like to turn that around.

Selection issues loom for the Saints with Watters this being quoted as saying:

“It is going to be an interesting week at the selection table this week. Ben McEvoy is going to be available, Sam Fisher is going to be available, Jarryn Geary will be available”

Vince will still be serving a suspension and miss for the Crows.

Potential matchups?

Simpkin v Walker would prove a fair duel height wise?
Dangerfield v Steven
Sloane v Jones
Hayes v Thompson
Armo v Van Berlo
Rutten v Roo

Quite a lot of midfield depth with all of Sloane, Thompson, Dangerfield, Van Berlo, Douglas winning their fair share of clearances which makes it harder to nullify them.

Saints coming into this game with another short break, Crows off the bye. Lets hope the trend of last year continues with sides struggling to regain momentum after their week off.

That being said, I’ve got a good feeling about this game.

Saints are due to take another big scalp, get the match ups right, and trouble a defence who is probably used to Rutten v Roo deciding the outcome.

Saints by 18

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Crows - preview & discussion

I see that the saints flew home straight after the Gold Coast game to give themselves the best opportunity to fully recover before they head off to Adelaide on Thursday for Friday's game !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

kos
Club Player

By far our most important game of the season to date. A win and anything is possible keeps us within a game of top 4 . A loss and will make no impact come September! As they say a season defining game.

I also think this outcome may decide the futures of many players and future direction of the club.
Win = premireship chance
Lose= build for the future

Tough decisions such as dropping Milne and others not influencing the next generation may have to be made, so we can get games into kids like newnes and Ross.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy and Fisher have missed a fair bit of footy, do we risk them this week or bring them
back after the BYE, do they need a run at SANDY.... :shock:

Not sure how many Geary has missed, might be hard for Geary to replace Raph

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
PJ
SS Life Member

1/ I think whether Saady comes up or not will have a big impact. He's crucial to our forward pressure
2/ Must have a ruckman - Jacobs is in brilliant form
3/ We need someone to take Tippett - If Ben is back I'd go the blake
4/ Currently I'd back our mids if Jonesy or someone can tag Dangerfield out of the game or at least restrict him
5/ It's winable but we'd want to be on

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I see that the saints flew home straight after the Gold Coast game to give themselves the best opportunity to fully recover before they head off to Adelaide on Thursday for Friday's game !!
Ive found for any day or twilight game they leave that night. WCE nab, Port, WCE and GC they flew home that night.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Saint_in_SA
Club Player

kos wrote:By far our most important game of the season to date. A win and anything is possible keeps us within a game of top 4 . A loss and will make no impact come September! As they say a season defining game.

I also think this outcome may decide the futures of many players and future direction of the club.
Win = premireship chance

Tough decisions such as dropping Milne and others not influencing the next generation may have to be made, so we can get games into kids like newnes and Ross.
I am not sure that one game's outcome will define the strategic direction of the club. We will continue our strategy of developing our young players as quickly as possible whilst picking the best 22 available each week. The balancing act works when the younger players force their way in the best 22 through performance.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Will be a tough ask. We really need Mac to play, not only in the ruck but also to cruise the back half and give our defenders a chop out. Tippet and Walker will have a field day in his absence. We will need to be at our best to win.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:McEvoy and Fisher have missed a fair bit of footy, do we risk them this week or bring them
back after the BYE, do they need a run at SANDY.... :shock:

Not sure how many Geary has missed, might be hard for Geary to replace Raph
reckon they will be alright first week back - it's the second week that players returning from injury will often get found out - and as we have the bye the week after I think Watters will risk them if they are right.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
jays
Club Player

If we can win this it's game on

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

kos wrote:By far our most important game of the season to date. A win and anything is possible keeps us within a game of top 4 . A loss and will make no impact come September! As they say a season defining game.

Win = premireship chance

What an idiotic post - who knows what will happen for the rest of the season? What if we lose by a goal but take another step in the right direction. Do you learn this sensationalist rubbish from reading the Hun or is it your own work. Sorry to be so harsh but to say our season rests on this game is ridiculous - sure it'd be great to win and will put us in a good possy should we do so but in realityt is just another game - the fate of the world does not depend on it.

Look again it's the Flash!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:

Win = premireship chance

What an idiotic post - who knows what will happen for the rest of the season? What if we lose by a goal but take another step in the right direction. Do you learn this sensationalist rubbish from reading the Hun or is it your own work. Sorry to be so harsh but to say our season rests on this game is ridiculous - sure it'd be great to win and will put us in a good possy should we do so but in realityt is just another game - the fate of the world does not depend on it.
I'm led to believe the UN will be keeping a close eye on this one. Kofi Annan said to be in Adelaide now.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
kos
Club Player

Win = premireship chance

You go have a hard look at the draw and where we sit on the ladder and come back and tell me if we still can contend for a flag after losing this game followed by a bye the following week!
We may be able to scrap our way into the 8 but win it from there? yeah right!
My point is if we find ourselves around the 8 to 10 spot on the ladder it would be pointless handing more games to blokes like milne I'd like us to blood more kids!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:

Win = premireship chance

You go have a hard look at the draw and where we sit on the ladder and come back and tell me if we still can contend for a flag after losing this game followed by a bye the following week!
We may be able to scrap our way into the 8 but win it from there? yeah right!
My point is if we find ourselves around the 8 to 10 spot on the ladder it would be pointless handing more games to blokes like milne I'd like us to blood more kids!

How arrogant have supporters become. Pointless for us to maybe make the finals in 8th spot. This from one of the worst performing sides in AFL/VFL history. Yes sure we have been good for around 10 years now but our form in the 80's nearly had us folding. Lets play the guys who deserve a game and not just gift games to kids. Milne still deserves a game and should play until he doesnt what ever postion we are on the ladder.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:How arrogant have supporters become. Pointless for us to maybe make the finals in 8th spot. This from one of the worst performing sides in AFL/VFL history. Yes sure we have been good for around 10 years now but our form in the 80's nearly had us folding. Lets play the guys who deserve a game and not just gift games to kids. Milne still deserves a game and should play until he doesnt what ever postion we are on the ladder.
Agree. It's a lot easier to win a final from 8th position than from 9th. This is going to one of those years where there is no outstanding one or two teams and so injuries at crucial times will make all the difference. A few weeks ago, we played top team WCE. Given that we didn't have a ruckman after the first 15 minutes, we did very well. There is no yawning gap there. Adelaide in Adelaide is never easy, but we have won a few there over the years. What we can't do is play off them and let them use the ball. As usual, pressure on the ball carrier will be everything.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Big big game.

Adelaide's strengths: contested footy, ball movement and efficiency inside 50. Playing very well this year.

Stopping the big forwards is a massive challenge, but made easier by match being at night. No room for passengers this week. If Saad comes up I'd considering dropping Milera for a bigger body, or at least start Schneider ahead of him. Fisher would be a massive bonus. Really pumped for this one, we need to get out of this win-loss-win-loss cycle. Win this and the first half of the season can be deemed a definitive success. Lose and it's only a pass.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Without sounding over confident I see no reason whatever why we can't win this one. crows are traveling well but so are we.

They still have to stop our guns too!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:How arrogant have supporters become. Pointless for us to maybe make the finals in 8th spot. This from one of the worst performing sides in AFL/VFL history. Yes sure we have been good for around 10 years now but our form in the 80's nearly had us folding. Lets play the guys who deserve a game and not just gift games to kids. Milne still deserves a game and should play until he doesnt what ever postion we are on the ladder.
Agree. It's a lot easier to win a final from 8th position than from 9th. This is going to one of those years where there is no outstanding one or two teams and so injuries at crucial times will make all the difference. A few weeks ago, we played top team WCE. Given that we didn't have a ruckman after the first 15 minutes, we did very well. There is no yawning gap there. Adelaide in Adelaide is never easy, but we have won a few there over the years. What we can't do is play off them and let them use the ball. As usual, pressure on the ball carrier will be everything.
+100% both posts!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Adelaides strength is their underated midfield depth, keep hearing about Richmonds, but theirs is pretty handy...

That being said, chuck an actual ruckman in the mix for us, and ours competes with the best now....especially with Steven and now Armo, running and spreading really well.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ADELAIDE

INJURIES
David Mackay (hamstring) available
Jarryd Lyons (foot) 2-3 weeks

ON THE BLOCK: Bernie Vince (suspension) is out after being handed a one-match ban for striking Zac Clarke in Round 10. Veteran Graham Johncock would be close to losing his spot with a number of Crows performing well in the SANFL.

ON THE CUSP: Andy Otten cannot be too far away from a recall after yet another imposing display in the SANFL. Otten collected 20 touches, five tackles, four inside 50s and four clearances for South Adelaide. He had 24 disposals and seven clearances last week. Utility Shaun McKernan put his hand up for selection with 13 hit outs and three goals.

GILBERT GARDINER’S FORECAST: Crow Scott Thompson could be in line for another difficult outing with both Saints taggers Clint Jones and Jack Steven in fine form. Steven demoralised Gold Coast ball magnet Gary Ablett on the weekend. Expect Adelaide’s midfield depth and towering forwards Kurt Tippett and Taylor Walker to help the Crows to a comfortable victory at AAMI Stadium.

INJURIES:
Sam Fisher (hamstring) test
Jarryn Geary (fractured eye socket) test
Ben McEvoy (knee) test
Ahmed Saad (concussion) test
Jimmy Webster (shin) 1 week
Rhys Stanley (hamstring) 3 weeks

ON THE BLOCK: There will be changes given the wealth of star power set to return, but who goes out? Tough ask for a side performing so admirably. Saad could be given a spell after his heavy hit left him seeing stars against the Suns, while Adam Schneider might be consigned to the VFL if he’s not match fit for a huge game after only playing as the sub. Tom Simpkin and Jack Newnes are the others who could face a spell despite solid efforts.

ON THE CUSP: Fisher, Geary and McEvoy. How does that sound? Saints coach Scott Watters said they could all slot in ahead of schedule against the Crows on Friday night. Nice. Can’t see anyone else joining this week but pleasing to note Beau Wilkes (five goals) and rookie Sam Dunell tearing it up in the VFL.

SAM LANDSBERGER’S FORECAST: Are we giving the Saints – and Watters – enough credit? In the past five weeks they’ve torched the Blues, pushed the Eagles in the last quarter in Perth, smashed Sydney and Gold Coast and lost in a thriller to Richmond in one of the games of the year. Adelaide fresh from the bye is a huge challenge and will prove a good measuring stick for the Saints on the Friday night stage.

Hey?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Watters will want this one bad....

Fully expect the selection decisions will be biased by experienced players.

Geary = Newnes

Fisher = Simpkin or Gwilt. Blakes versatility will keep him in.

Ben.....who is left out is the hard one. Maybe be Siposs, though I am sure that Pelchen and Watters really like the idea of a team with his footskills in it.

Gwilt has been only so so since his return. Unlike Hayes, he is taking longer to get over his knee injury.

I doubt Saad will miss. His pace at night will be vital. Will only not play if concussion keeps him out.

I am not sure why Ray was omitted, and personally would like him back in the team. With Sandi playing on Sunday though it seems unlikely.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
villasaint
Club Player

Did ray play?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

villasaint wrote:Did ray play?
Apparently for Sandringham yesterday.

PJ
SS Life Member

If Saad doesn't come up I wouldn't mind seeing Ray as the pressure small forward. He seems to be in a mood to play.

I still think defence is our concern for this game. Not sure why the game preview writer describes Walker as a towering forward - he's more a medium forward.

The only way we can match them for height is if Ben comes in. Even if Blake can go back we are still going to be stretched - Jacobs is huge.

Jones and Dempster will be crucial.

It will be a scrap with the same intensity as the Richmond game - should be a belter if the saints turn up.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I can't see us including either Fisher or Macca this week - both would be uncertain, physically and under-done for fitness. It's a question of who we run with - Geary or Newnes. For this tough test, i would take Geary. If Saad doesn't get up, Schneids will be the replacement. Other than that, we run, "same as.'