Raph Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Raph Clarke

Our greatest failure with Raph has been our inability to devlop the offensive part of his game

his best games have all been high possession, creative use, attacking games and his worst ones have been when he plays as a more defensive minded flanker.

As long time Clarke fan, I tend to agree with JB - I think Watters may be a good coach for him

Am eagerly looking forward to seeing how he goes this season

defacto
Club Player

i agree. he just looked more comfortable out there. looked like he was a class above alot on the field and could have a big impact on the game. i think he's one of those players who are more comfortable in attack and taking the game on, instead of having to obsess about structure and defence.

they seem to push him fwd in bursts, instead of keeping him in the back 50.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Raph definitely looked better running into space to receive the ball instead of guarding space in the back half like a statue.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It was the right call to give Raph some game time, ahead of the Crows. It was never going to be a tough match and Raph had the opportunity to show his best.

Agree with others that he may be better suited under Watters and that's good for the team. Will they give Fisher the extra break and play Raph there? - he has put on some weight/muscle.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He always seemed to be a guy who looked restrained under Ross. He would have outstanding games and then get his confidence knocked and go into his shell. Guy's like Raph seem like emotional soft people and according to people who know Watters that is the type he likes to nurture.

I really hope he gets some consistent form for the rest of his career because at the end of the day it's consistency not talent that is lacking in Raph.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ray was our best player vs Carlton.....

PJ
SS Life Member

Is it just me or does Raph seem taller than 188 or whatever he's supposed to be?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he appears taller than he is as well PJ, perhaps because he looks a lot more slender these days?

I loved that goal, just pure instinct.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:If he ever gets another game for the Saints, the board should sack Ross Lyon.

Sorry - but haven't we missed the lets bash Raph thread since he has been out.

Had to pick on poor Joey and Gilbo while he was out.

great to have the scapegoat back for the whingers on here
The rumours are WRONG. Raph DOESN'T have a pic of you in your mankini :roll: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Actually think the less restrictive, play on type of Watters game will suit Clarke much more than Lyons lockdown type game.

Instinctive type player who should never have to think too much on the footy field, gets hesitant and gets caught with the ball.
Agreed.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

He had a few typical Raph howlers. Nothing new there.

What I do not understand is why some supporters are now suggesting he will play better now that Watters is around?

He had GT as a coach for a while too...results?

So that is now three coaches with bugger all success from two after nine years and 80 odd games and now things are meant to change?

defacto
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:He had a few typical Raph howlers. Nothing new there.

What I do not understand is why some supporters are now suggesting he will play better now that Watters is around?

So that is now three coaches with bugger all success from two after nine years and 80 odd games and now things are meant to change?
age?

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

In my book he'd be better up the ground... a floating winger/half forward. Could use his pace & creativity more & his mistakes wouldn't be highlighted.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:In my book he'd be better up the ground... a floating winger/half forward. Could use his pace & creativity more & his mistakes wouldn't be highlighted.

He is a straight ahead player. The last thing we want him to do is run around in circles which can happen up forward. He is HBF in either the saints side or the Sandy side. Probably the Sandy side at this stage.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:In my book he'd be better up the ground... a floating winger/half forward. Could use his pace & creativity more & his mistakes wouldn't be highlighted.

He is a straight ahead player. The last thing we want him to do is run around in circles which can happen up forward. He is HBF in either the saints side or the Sandy side. Probably the Sandy side at this stage.

I know it's only the Suns, but Raph looked in far better touch than Jimmy at this stage of Jimmy's comeback. He is struggling at the minute.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 12 Jun 2012 2:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I know it's only the Suns, but Raph looked in far better tough than Jimmy at this stage of Jimmy's comeback. He is struggling at the minute.

Totally agree but to me jimmy is more important and Im unsure both can play unless Gilbert goes out but I like him. Adds pace to the backline. Jimmy will take time and may have to go back to Sandy but when we get to the business end I reckon Jimmy at his best has Raph covered. Will he get back to his best this year. We can only hope.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Reckon Jimmy at his best has Raph covered. Will he get back to his best this year. We can only hope.

Jimmy at his best probably makes fewer howlers and is a lovely kick, but Raph is more creative and offers more run. I guess form will decide it.

rexy
SS Life Member

Raph has played some good footy under all 3 coaches IMO, not an elite AFL player, consistantly delivering at his peak. But then many 150 game greats have been GOPs, Blake, Peckett, Thompson couple of wakelins, Brett Voss just to name a few.

Maybe this year?
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

defacto wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:He had a few typical Raph howlers. Nothing new there.

age?
Excuse?

It was still the same old s*** even when the old s*** was new s***.

cross2012
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Reckon Jimmy at his best has Raph covered. Will he get back to his best this year. We can only hope.

Jimmy at his best probably makes fewer howlers and is a lovely kick, but Raph is more creative and offers more run. I guess form will decide it.

Jimmy is the anchor in the backline, no doubt, but i have always thought Raph was more suited forward than back. His mercurial style means he comes unstuck at the wrong end of the ground.

Freebird
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
bobmurray wrote:crap thread.... :roll:

crap poster.

Heard some very nflattering things about you, you flog.

Was not one bit suprised :roll:
Everyone who posts on here knows your threads are almost exclusively directed at the poster rather than at the game of football.

your posts are an entire waste of bandwidth, always done in a hit and run style..you should hear what the Moorabbin Wing have said about you..

i don't know how you could ever present yourself in public....shameless individual.... :roll: :shock:

This...JB the flog

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

for a long time I thought Raph should be played on the wing, but with further thought, you would lose his effectiveness reading the play and getting a fist on the ball. something we need without a tall fullback. aerially he is underrated (too).
I don't think there are too many more players at St Kilda as exciting as Clarke when in full run, ball in hands.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
bobmurray wrote: Everyone who posts on here knows your threads are almost exclusively directed at the poster rather than at the game of football.

your posts are an entire waste of bandwidth, always done in a hit and run style..you should hear what the Moorabbin Wing have said about you..

i don't know how you could ever present yourself in public....shameless individual.... :roll: :shock:

This...JB the flog
lol - considering everyone commented on my post re Raph under Watters compared to Lyon, you and knob Murray look like the worthless trolls you are.

Keep up the good work you two cabbages :D :D

Hey Bob, wanna know what Iw as told about you?

Really really funny :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Freebird wrote:
bobmurray wrote: Everyone who posts on here knows your threads are almost exclusively directed at the poster rather than at the game of football.

This...JB the flog
lol - considering everyone commented on my post re Raph under Watters compared to Lyon, you and knob Murray look like the worthless trolls you are.

Keep up the good work you two cabbages :D :D

Hey Bob, wanna know what Iw as told about you?

Really really funny :D
Just cram it the both of you.