Sledging: What's acceptable nowadays?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Re: Sledging: What's acceptable nowadays?

Moods wrote:However there definitely are some hysterical posts on here. I think we need to clarify exactly what Minson has form for. He NEVER attacked Cornes' disabled child. He had a go at Cornes for not being at home assisting taking care of him. A VERY big difference. Still below the belt, but there vare different levels of below the belt.

As for for what he said - he claims I believe, that he said, 'I f.cked your mother.' Now quite possibly a distatsteful remark, but if we are to be honest, mother jokes have been with us since the turn of the last century. Suddenly Minson is satan because he said it and an indigenous player has taken offence? He strenuously denies stating anything re rape. Obviously once that sort of rubbish gets said then we are on a slippery slope.
There seems to be a mis-conception by some people that this issue has something to do with Pierce's racial background; I don't think that's the case is it? I think if he said the same thing to a player of any heritage about his mother in a similar fashion, I'm sure it would be a similar outcome. It depends on the sensitivities of the victim, as has been said.

Now does that make it an aboriginal issue? If the sledge involved rape, and something similar did in fact happen to Pierce's mother, how is that an aboriginal issue? White mothers don't ever get raped?

I think it is actually disgusting how many thick-skinned bogans out there are painting Pierce as the bad guy, or a weak character because of this. I'd love to see how these heroes would react in such a situation. Remember, you're not allowed to fight or you'll get reported and maybe cost your club the game or future games or a fine with your ill discipline. Yeah, he probably never met your mum so just laugh it off. And again. And again. You just take it and take it and don't even think about complaining or having a go at the guy who said it.
8856brother wrote:Stay at home. Don't speak to anyone you don't know. I mean anyone! Just in case. Never joke with anyone you haven't known for 20 years.

The AFL, and most of the world has lost the plot. Have a look at OH&S laws now in most workplaces. There always has to be someone to blame. No such thing as an accident any more. It's always someone's fault. Point the finger. Sport is the same now. Say something to 100 people. 99 will laugh or give you something back. 1 will destroy your character forever.
Yeah, bit of an overreaction, but it's true that the world is getting softer. If you don't like it, there's plenty of harder places for you live, or even harder sports to follow. But why should softer people suffer just so harder people can feel good about the world?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I wouldn't think it was Ok for someone to single me out on front of a national TV audience and 35000 live spectators, and scream in my face that I'm a weak character both pglhysically and mentally either.

Doing that, is purely aimed at belittling, intimidating, embarrassing and putting the player off his game.

The AFL as usual, are going completely half arsed on something.

So does anything go or nothing go. It seems you think it is alright to attack the family, well why noy race and religion then?
Well for starters, attacking someone's race and religion is against the law, so I can understand just on that level alone why that would be banned on the footy field.

However there definitely are some hysterical posts on here. I think we need to clarify exactly what Minson has form for. He NEVER attacked Cornes' disabled child. He had a go at Cornes for not being at home assisting taking care of him. A VERY big difference. Still below the belt, but there vare different levels of below the belt.

As for for what he said - he claims I believe, that he said, 'I f.cked your mother.' Now quite possibly a distatsteful remark, but if we are to be honest, mother jokes have been with us since the turn of the last century. Suddenly Minson is satan because he said it and an indigenous player has taken offence? He strenuously denies stating anything re rape. Obviously once that sort of rubbish gets said then we are on a slippery slope.

Plugger you seem to be in favour of banning all sledging aimed at family? Fair enough. What if Travis cloke was sledged about his old man being an over protective wanker? What if someone said that another players wife was ugly? Are we banning everything but really selectively banning things. I agree with Wayne Carey on this one. When I played I never saw the point of getting into a bloke about family etc, HOWEVER I thought it was fine to do what Milney did. I have no problem with public humiliation of a bloke for not displaying courage, calling him weak, etc etc. I may be just as big a prick, because instead of saying something that couldn't possibly be true, I have hit a nerve.

I just don't reckon this whole area is as black and white (excuse the pun) as some are suggesting. Yes - us guys over 35 have probably grown up with an 'anything goe' attitude to sledging and have had to be re-educated on certain things. I still reckon those under 25 have paper thin sensitivities as well. Comparing footy to a normal work place is ridiculous. You don't get smashed in your normal work place either. It's not a valid argument. It's an issue that needs to be thrashed out some more.

For mine, depending on what Minson said - he's either very unlucky, or a complete d**khead who needs some counselling

I am not in favour of banning all family sledging but I beleive there is a line and if you cross it you take the risk of being found out. I dont see why some think pearce is the bad guy here. He didnt like what was said and fair enough. If someone said that to me I coudnt give a stuff but everyone is different. The one thing people forget is the players know about the respect and responsibilty to women. people will complain why not men too but that is just the way it is.

Anyway when I played footy or cricket I always found the funny sledges to be the best. You are a moron IMO to have to resort to the Mum sledges.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
Moods wrote:However there definitely are some hysterical posts on here. I think we need to clarify exactly what Minson has form for. He NEVER attacked Cornes' disabled child. He had a go at Cornes for not being at home assisting taking care of him. A VERY big difference. Still below the belt, but there vare different levels of below the belt.

There seems to be a mis-conception by some people that this issue has something to do with Pierce's racial background; I don't think that's the case is it? I think if he said the same thing to a player of any heritage about his mother in a similar fashion, I'm sure it would be a similar outcome. It depends on the sensitivities of the victim, as has been said.

Now does that make it an aboriginal issue? If the sledge involved rape, and something similar did in fact happen to Pierce's mother, how is that an aboriginal issue? White mothers don't ever get raped?

I think it has been reported by many media outlets that the aboriginals have a very close cultural feel, and their feelings re family run even deeper than caucasian ppl. Who knows? This may be a racist opinion in itself?

I agree with p66 in his last post. Resorting to this type of sledge regardless of whether the insinuation of rape is used is fairly futile. Personally I'm with plugger on that particular issue. I wouldn't be offended, but I'd just think the bloke was a complete tool who I'd have lost all respect for. Footballers are like everyone else in that regard - they like to be respected by their colleagues. In this case colleagues are also the opposition. Some players will say they couldn't care less, but I reckon ALL players would like to be respected, not liked, but respected. Big Will has lost a lot of that respect, and that I reckon will hurt him as much as any suspension or fine.

This is why sledging about footy ability can be more effective I reckon. As a player I'd be far more likely to respond if told that everyone knows I'm a weak prick, etc etc than some childish 12 year old comment about my mum or my wife. Being told after an opponent runs away from you that you're too slow, not good enough actually plays on you far more. I hate to admit it, but I have had games where I have gone to water whilst being constantly sledged every mistake I made. Eventually one game I snapped and belted the bloke which resulted in a 25m penalty and me being dragged for the day :oops: I never forgot it though - and I'll never forget the same bloke having a beer and a laugh with me after the game about it. That's where you know it's not personal. If a bloke made a comment like big Will did, I'd probably still shake his hand after the game, but I wouldn't be likely to seek him out for a beer - because I reckon he's a knob.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It's not difficult for players if they follow a simple rule of thumb.

"If you wouldn't say it to Tony Lockett; don't say it". 8-)

Austinnn
Club Player

Moods wrote:I think it has been reported by many media outlets that the aboriginals have a very close cultural feel, and their feelings re family run even deeper than caucasian ppl. Who knows? This may be a racist opinion in itself?

I agree with p66 in his last post. Resorting to this type of sledge regardless of whether the insinuation of rape is used is fairly futile. Personally I'm with plugger on that particular issue. I wouldn't be offended, but I'd just think the bloke was a complete tool who I'd have lost all respect for. Footballers are like everyone else in that regard - they like to be respected by their colleagues. In this case colleagues are also the opposition. Some players will say they couldn't care less, but I reckon ALL players would like to be respected, not liked, but respected. Big Will has lost a lot of that respect, and that I reckon will hurt him as much as any suspension or fine.

This is why sledging about footy ability can be more effective I reckon. As a player I'd be far more likely to respond if told that everyone knows I'm a weak prick, etc etc than some childish 12 year old comment about my mum or my wife. Being told after an opponent runs away from you that you're too slow, not good enough actually plays on you far more. I hate to admit it, but I have had games where I have gone to water whilst being constantly sledged every mistake I made. Eventually one game I snapped and belted the bloke which resulted in a 25m penalty and me being dragged for the day :oops: I never forgot it though - and I'll never forget the same bloke having a beer and a laugh with me after the game about it. That's where you know it's not personal. If a bloke made a comment like big Will did, I'd probably still shake his hand after the game, but I wouldn't be likely to seek him out for a beer - because I reckon he's a knob.
That's a good call Moods. It's pretty clear what the line is in my opinion, its a bit strange that some don't see it.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Saint_in_SA
Club Player

What about the gingas like Lingy - vilified for all eternity about his genes i.e not deserving head high free kicks, fanta pants, sauce, bluey, carrot top. They cop it all the time those blokes and we as a society think it's piss funny. Well, when you think about it - is it? When you compare it to other situations that we find so abhorrent?

I personally think they should get head high free kicks.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint_in_SA wrote:What about the gingas like Lingy - vilified for all eternity about his genes i.e not deserving head high free kicks, fanta pants, sauce, bluey, carrot top. They cop it all the time those blokes and we as a society think it's piss funny. Well, when you think about it - is it? When you compare it to other situations that we find so abhorrent?

Rangas are different. They deserve it :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Have read a few opinion articles on Will Minson recently and the letters that accompany them.

Let me state first up that I think Minson is a complete dill for saying what he did. BUT I have heard the man speak before and read articles he has written. Without knowing the man I am of the opinion that his actions on the weekend are very much out of character.

However if you read the mood of public opinion - Will Minson is the lowest of the low. Why? I mean, is he any worse than the player who belts someone behind play? I have seen Adam Goodes twice in the last 5 years cannon into blokes when they are not looking and be suspended for it. I also watched him on Open Mike last night. He is articulate, honest, and comes across as a really good bloke. My point is why is a bloke who has a brain snap and says something offensive on the footy field suddenly rated a worse bloke than a guy who has a brain snap and belts someone when they're not looking?

People will argue that Minson is a repeat offender - well so is Goodes. We seem to accept brain fades of the physical kind much easier.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

If someone said it to me it would piss me off but not as badly as Selwood from West coast about Headland's daughter. Minson isn't the worst guy in my opinion just a d**khead for doing it twice. Some people are more sensitive than others, I heard one report saying it was "your dad must have raped your mum for you to be born" which if true may have been more offensive to someone from an Indigenous background as it might have a connotation of disfunction and abuse that is used as a cultural stereo type. not quite racism but straddling a line.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What about "chewy on your boot"?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:What about "chewy on your boot"?
racist

stinger
Saintsational Legend

i've had the same comments made to me about my wife and a daughter by some of the real dropkick in here......most of whom are now on my ignore list.....so i can't tell you if they are now acting holier than thou...because i choose not to be able to see or read the crap that they post.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Hilarious that a few on here feel they can speak on behalf of Pearce and tell him to toughen up

Hilarious

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Hilarious that a few on here feel they can speak on behalf of Pearce and tell him to toughen up

Hilarious
Is it? Why?

That's what forums do. Plenty have told Fev to grow up on here. People express opinions on others reactions. Right or wrong.

People had no trouble commenting on Lyon's personal reasons for leaving the saints (not just the way he left)

Plenty had a go at Gilbo and Riewoldt and co re the StKilda schoolgirl fiasco without knowing the full facts. Made all sorts of judgements - particularly of Gilbo

I've read forums and even commented myself on players decisions to not play in GF's because their wife was having a baby. It's a private choice but we all feel that we can buy in on it. Ppl will comment when a player decides to head home for family reasons and throw away an AFL career, ie Nathan Ablett.

I think as soon as it became public, Pearce had to be prepared for ppl to judge him. Right or wrong, you shouldn't be surprsied by it though.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I've read forums and even commented myself on players decisions to not play in GF's because their wife was having a baby. It's a private choice but we all feel that we can buy in on it.
yeah, that's pretty stupid. commenting on someone else's private choice is commenting on something where you are guaranteed not to have all the facts. anything you say is going to be wrong. that doesn't mean the comment shouldn't be made but it does mean that anyone doing it realise they're being a dick.

Austinnn
Club Player

Moods wrote:
saint66au wrote:Hilarious that a few on here feel they can speak on behalf of Pearce and tell him to toughen up

Hilarious
Is it? Why?

That's what forums do. Plenty have told Fev to grow up on here. People express opinions on others reactions. Right or wrong.

People had no trouble commenting on Lyon's personal reasons for leaving the saints (not just the way he left)

Plenty had a go at Gilbo and Riewoldt and co re the StKilda schoolgirl fiasco without knowing the full facts. Made all sorts of judgements - particularly of Gilbo

I've read forums and even commented myself on players decisions to not play in GF's because their wife was having a baby. It's a private choice but we all feel that we can buy in on it. Ppl will comment when a player decides to head home for family reasons and throw away an AFL career, ie Nathan Ablett.

I think as soon as it became public, Pearce had to be prepared for ppl to judge him. Right or wrong, you shouldn't be surprsied by it though.
So essentially you're saying that we the public are always going to make ignorant, emotional and possibly hypocritical judgements on something we have no experience of ourselves, whether it's right or not, and that is to be expected. Correct?

I agree. I also think that Pierce would have known that he would be branded a 'softie' by lots of people who didn't know the facts or had no concept of the experience. But he went ahead with his complaint regardless, possibly because he knew he had the support of his teammates and possibly because he believed that the issue was bigger than his reputation. That makes him brave in my eyes.

So your point that it's to be expected is right, but I think that you've confused Saint66au's appraisal that it's 'hilarious' for surprise. I don't really think anyone is surprised by it, but I think it's disgusting (as I said in an earlier post) and Saint66au thinks its hilarious, you think it's normal; can't we all be right here?

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

My hilarity was dripping with sarcasm..but..as someone said..I guess footy forums are full of people passing opinion as fact when they have no idea of the true facts

I also get a laugh from the "harden up Danyle its a mans game when I played footy I heard things 100 times worse than that " brigade. Bully for you if you did. Were all very impressed you coped I'm sure

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Beekay
SS Life Member

Saint_in_SA wrote:What about the gingas like Lingy - vilified for all eternity about his genes i.e not deserving head high free kicks, fanta pants, sauce, bluey, carrot top. They cop it all the time those blokes and we as a society think it's piss funny. Well, when you think about it - is it? When you compare it to other situations that we find so abhorrent?

That is one of the funniest posts i've ever read.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

If you are serious, I actually agree. Making fun of someone's appearance non-stop is poor taste. But the way you worded that post had me lol.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Let's be honest, the AFL isn't much more than the Wacky Races cartoon that used to be on TV whilst I had breakfast before primary school about 20 years ago.

Austinnn
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote:Let's be honest, the AFL isn't much more than the Wacky Races cartoon that used to be on TV whilst I had breakfast before primary school about 20 years ago.
Really? In what way? Do they get to drive cars in the AFL? Weird comparison.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Majority
Club Player

Fremantle are the Dick Dastardly and Muttley in the Wacky Races Mean Machine of the AFL.

Dastardly never finished first.

oops, I think I just sledged Freo.

oh no I didn't....I sledged a cartoon character and a cartoon dog.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I haven't been following this very closely and it seems to be a simple case of sledging going over the line...

What I've taken away from this though... If the saints played Port in a final, I'd instruct Pearce's opponent to really get into his ear (within the line).

There's nothing wrong with Pearce being offended, and going through the official channels to report Will. That being said, I think Pearce needs to learn how to handle this type of thing a bit better... has revealed a real weakness here which if I was a player, I'd look to exploit.

Looking at the comment, even without the real context, well it seems to me that guys like Milne, Dal, Roo etc have had to put up with sledging just as bad... and heck Buddy copped it from the fan in Launceston but still managed to play out the game.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I haven't been following this very closely and it seems to be a simple case of sledging going over the line...

What I've taken away from this though... If the saints played Port in a final, I'd instruct Pearce's opponent to really get into his ear (within the line).

There's nothing wrong with Pearce being offended, and going through the official channels to report Will. That being said, I think Pearce needs to learn how to handle this type of thing a bit better... has revealed a real weakness here which if I was a player, I'd look to exploit.

Looking at the comment, even without the real context, well it seems to me that guys like Milne, Dal, Roo etc have had to put up with sledging just as bad... and heck Buddy copped it from the fan in Launceston but still managed to play out the game.

Do we know Peace played worse after being sledged?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Let's be honest, the AFL isn't much more than the Wacky Races cartoon that used to be on TV whilst I had breakfast before primary school about 20 years ago.
Really? In what way? Do they get to drive cars in the AFL? Weird comparison.
Because the bad guys lose, the good guys get bizarre and very convenient acts of god helping them, and the winner is different each day as long as it's suits what the audience wants.

Effectively, it's a rigged comp weighted heavily in the favour of certain clubs. And it cannot be taken seriously as a sporting competition.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

any idiots on here saying harden up etc and sledging is part of the game

think on this http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/worl ... s-monitor/

and where is the line between this and what happened

some people on here need to realise this is no longer 1972 and if you want to defend sledging that is only a point away from verbal bullying, then maybe there is no hope for you

but maybe think about how you want your children to behave when they get older and what message are you sending them

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights