Stanley re-signs for 3 years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley re-signs for 3 years

Stillwaiting wrote:Great news, I was worried that he might leave. It seems that Watters is well liked by the players
I was worried about the Seaford factor as I'd heard all the players would be getting out of the joint just as soon as they could :P

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Any news on Soddard? :wink:

Thinks he has been told to sod off :wink:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:Great news, I was worried that he might leave. It seems that Watters is well liked by the players
I was worried about the Seaford factor as I'd heard all the players would be getting out of the joint just as soon as they could :P
That's right, but youbrealise none of the other uncontracted players will re sighn because of Seaford. :P

I love this club
Ross who?
Club Player

Great news indeed. A 3 year contract is a great outcome for Rhys and the Saints IMO. I think that by next season Rhys will really have found his feet at AFL level. I have always said that once he had some confidence in his own game he would really start to flourish. Scott has come along and backed him in. (as opposed to Ross who never gave the young guys any guarantees beyond 1 game). Rhys now backs himself to use his space and before he got injured was starting to clunk a few grabs. Was holding his own in the centre against Nic Nat vs WCE before he went down that day also.

I am surprised that the club has announced this contract on its own, as my mail told me otherwise. There are definitely a few others that are as good as done, if not signed off already. I know that a couple of years ago when the Saints announced the resigning of about 6 players in one press release, that a couple had been done up to 6 months earlier! I doubt it would happen this year with all the player movement options available currently. I would of thought the Saints would be putting it out to the public to ward off some of this media hype re our cap. It is possible the club want to spread them out to maintain an image of ongoing progress in list management.
I have faith in the football department ATM and believe it is in very capable hands. With the exception of the Academy director it sounds like we have some very competent staff running the place.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Ajantis
Club Player

Do you think stanley would have resigned/stayed with st.kilda if ross lyon was still coach ?
I doubt it, apprently lyon didnt like stanley.

paddy
Club Player

Good news...

he definately has the tools to be a star, and has been showing signs this year...

I think that he was probably too skinny for ross, and his speed and athleticism weren't particularly high on Ross' priorities....

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cripes i'm thinking about getting out of Seaford considering we are now in flood area and our insurance tried to sting us 7.5k for house insurance :shock:

On a side note very happy with the signing!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mrs_Seaford_Saint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cripes i'm thinking about getting out of Seaford considering we are now in flood area and our insurance tried to sting us 7.5k for house insurance :shock:

On a side note very happy with the signing!
Lucky the Saints no longer flood then :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Ross who, they might be spreading them out like the hawks are doing over their bye period. Keeps the saints in the news and allows more media coverage for each signing. Cleverif this is the case. Good signing BTW

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:He has played 7 matches this season?

Whilst he has looked to improve this season let's not go nuts here.

Has he taken a game on with a match-winning performance?

Until he does, champagne bottles stay on kids
Are you happy about anything?

You come across as a very miserable person! :roll:

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
stinger
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:would love to know what they signed him for... granted it's none of my business though

would really give us an insight to the club.

Rhys Stanley =
- a player that has been maligned a lot considering how young he is
- many felt coming into this year that unless he improved rather drastically he was close to being delisted
- has shown some marked improvement for a youngin but yet to really stamp any type pf authority

3 years is a long contract for a player that is still something of an unknown quantity

Can't help but feel that he either signed at a rate far too low for what he has done... or maybe far to high for what he has to do

I'm glad he signed though.

What do people think he'd be on?
none of our business really....do you want to tell us what you are on.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SuperSaint66
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:Versatile tall forward Rhys Stanley has inked a new deal with the Saints, extending his contract for a further three years.

“I couldn’t be happier, the club has shown faith in me until the end of 2015, so I’m stoked,” said Stanley.

“I’m really excited to push this club forward and grow the membership base, and help develop the club as one of the big powerhouses of the competition.”

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... ideoplayer
Very happy with this signing. I met Stanley on Members' Day - a very pleasant young man.

I like his enthusiasm for all that St Kilda offers & his willingness to advance our club. Let's hope he plays for us in a winning premiership in the not too distant future!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
skeptic wrote:would love to know what they signed him for... granted it's none of my business though

would really give us an insight to the club.

Rhys Stanley =
- a player that has been maligned a lot considering how young he is
- many felt coming into this year that unless he improved rather drastically he was close to being delisted
- has shown some marked improvement for a youngin but yet to really stamp any type pf authority

3 years is a long contract for a player that is still something of an unknown quantity

Can't help but feel that he either signed at a rate far too low for what he has done... or maybe far to high for what he has to do

I'm glad he signed though.

What do people think he'd be on?
none of our business really....do you want to tell us what you are on.....

ummh yeah I acknowledged that in the post and didn't actually ask to know what he was on... just said I was curious

good to see you're continuing to play the man

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:none of our business really....do you want to tell us what you are on.....
sure, i'm on $140k plus bonuses.

did that interest you? probably not. on the other hand, rhys plays for the club we support so his salary is obviously much more interesting. i don't really understand why afl salaries aren't public, to be honest. if you're embarrassed about what you get paid then do something about it.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:none of our business really....do you want to tell us what you are on.....

did that interest you? probably not. on the other hand, rhys plays for the club we support so his salary is obviously much more interesting. i don't really understand why afl salaries aren't public, to be honest. if you're embarrassed about what you get paid then do something about it.
I suggest you seek a new contract

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

was always going to sign
dont know what the panic was

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
bergholt wrote:

I suggest you seek a new contract

I'll take it...

Just got home from the garbo round.......off for a shower...catch ya's.

“Yeah….nah””
defacto
Club Player

bergholt wrote:

what you do?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

IluvHarvey wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:He has played 7 matches this season?

Whilst he has looked to improve this season let's not go nuts here.

Has he taken a game on with a match-winning performance?

Until he does, champagne bottles stay on kids
Are you happy about anything?

You come across as a very miserable person! :roll:
I am being realistic about Stanley and his performances thus far.

Potential is a dirty word.

I'm a happy kind of chappy. Ask all my mates.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It's only good news if he got the right type of contract

It's a tricky time for Rhys to sign a new deal because he's at the point now where he market value may well change drastically by the end of the season.

This guys not firmly entrenched in our best 22. He's promising, looking good and in at the moment but it won't take much of a drop to see him out. That being said, a little more improvement and he may be fit into the "starting to deliver gun'' category

Hence why signing a 3 year deal right now suprises me.

I wouldn't be too happy if he's signed for amount much larger than he's worth at the moment for the sake of "potential improvement". But by the same token, he would be entitled to some improvement in his offer.

Like I said... would be interesting to know what he's on

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

there were quite a few clubs sniffing around. this is good news.

#1 Ryder fan
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

MC Gusto wrote:there were quite a few clubs sniffing around. this is good news.
Who was sniffing around?

Considering the club has been patient with him it would have been a pretty ordinary thing to do just to up and leave on us

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:there were quite a few clubs sniffing around. this is good news.
Who was sniffing around?

Considering the club has been patient with him it would have been a pretty ordinary thing to do just to up and leave on us
probably a sheep.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.