mid season briefing

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mid season briefing

ok so we arent flying but we are playing way better than expected from the 'footy world'

so quick summary highlighting unexpected stuff

roo: 011 was a shocker. but clearly it was a knee issue. not sure who is surgeon was but he did a great job. top stuff. playing well. big tick.

armo: one word. warrior.

little guys: saad and tezza have made our fwd line more unpredictable. created panic in defence.

rucks: well most people knew this was an issue. but have learnt the hard way you need some tall guys.

opposition: not that great. crows the big riser. very soft but now lean and mean. no team is unbeatable. very even out there. top 11 teams are all close. bottom 7 are pretty awful.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: mid season briefing

Im sure Roo's knee was no good after round one. When did he have another operation?

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Rooey is definitely carrying a "degenerating" knee.

Of the others - a great all round team/coaching effort so far. It's easy to pick at short-comings. The good news has been the improvement in the younger guys and the game plan. Also, it seems that Watters has been happy to give consecutive games to a few who would not have got them under Lyon - Newnes & Cripps.

Injuries have not helped us at all. Gwilty still coming back, but looks slow. Let's see how things go after our much needed rest. The next four games will show where we are at. At least we are "competitive" and in with a chance for top 8.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Rooey is definitely carrying a "degenerating" knee.

Of the others - a great all round team/coaching effort so far. It's easy to pick at short-comings. The good news has been the improvement in the younger guys and the game plan. Also, it seems that Watters has been happy to give consecutive games to a few who would not have got them under Lyon - Newnes & Cripps.

Injuries have not helped us at all. Gwilty still coming back, but looks slow. Let's see how things go after our much needed rest. The next four games will show where we are at. At least we are "competitive" and in with a chance for top 8.

No doubt he is but after round one some people said he was basically finished because of his knee. Doesnt look like it to me. Just looks like a player getting older, carrying a few injuries and most imporatantly a change in how the game is played which makes it so much harder for key forwards.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Im sure Roo's knee was no good after round one. When did he have another operation?
I think he meant Roo's 2011 was a shocker

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Stanley might be a ruck revelation in the 2nd half. He was dominating the best in the business (nick nat / cox) until he went down

#1 Ryder fan
felix
Club Player

2% more defence in the game plan and look out when it all comes together !

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How's the fishing??

It's a wonder you didn't mention families??

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Rooey is definitely carrying a "degenerating" knee.

Completely agree. Great to see a more exciting brand of footy and some kids getting played. The concern for me are the olders guys look as though they've lost a yard of pace. I just don't know whether we're challenging, rebuilding or stuck in purgatory??

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Im sure Roo's knee was no good after round one. When did he have another operation?
Don't bother explaining.....he won't understand..he lives on a different planet to the rest of us...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:
Don't bother explaining.....he won't understand..he lives on a different planet to the rest of us...

One day you will add something. I will start you off. 2 plus 2 equals .

Gershwin
Club Player

Not a bad summary by Mark Robinson:

" ST KILDA

AT the start of the season you wondered whether St Kilda would tumble or surge under new coach Scott Watters.

The Saints are 6-6 and in eighth spot, so the jury is still out.

Still, they should play finals.

Watters has found a nice balance between attack and defence, though the defence can be too loose.

New regulars Ahmed Saad and Terry Milera have added plenty of zip and goals, as well as helping Stephen Milne.

Captain Nick Riewoldt has rebounded from last season.

Rhys Stanley will be a player, while Tom Simpkin and Arryn Siposs will become regulars.

Add Jack Steven in the middle, along with David Armitage, and the Saints have good depth.

But problems remain at the back.

The Saints need a monster backman to take on the monster forwards/ruck that will hurt them in tight games against the better teams."

summertime and the living is easy ........
Rosco
Club Player

yeah, Robbo pretty close to the mark imo

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I don't think there is anything new in that. We've been going on about needing a big backman for yonks.
Question is what are we doing about it? Seems to me Watters is trying to develop a team orientated defense rather than man take man.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why don't you think about what you have added to the thread

Have a quick read of your replies..... Antagonistic, patronizing and lacked insight...

Sounds familiar.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why don't you think about what you have added to the thread

Have a quick read of your replies..... Antagonistic, patronizing and lacked insight...

Sounds familiar.
My god of all people to comment. The man to arrogant to even say who he is addressing. You really are a fool. Now stop embarrassing your family. I would say and friends but we know you wouldnt have a single one.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

cough , Cough.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.