Upgrade CURREN to fill JONES's position!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Clint JONES has been a wonderful stallwart for the club but his inability to hurt the opposition when he has the ball has killed us for too long. On a lot of occasions he assists the opposition as they know his weakness and simply man up on the go to players. It is time to start getting games into our kids and CURREN for me is someone who can develop into a player similiar to Carrazzo. JONES is in poor form this year and has not improved one element of his game - his time has come Im afraid!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Upgrade CURREN to fill JONES's position!

Jones would be a superstar in the VFL. Please dont get confused by the standard. Jones is safe at the moment especially playing North this week. I must say the amount of players you pot suggests we should be lucky to win a game in a season.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

PLUGGER if it was up to you we would still have Leowe, Harvey, Thompson and Bourke running around. Its called progressing and introducing new players to take us forward - not blind loyalty! The only player I have potted this year is McEvoy and I stand by my previous on him - he will never be a dominant ruckman! He simplty doesnt have the tools to improve...

james rose
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:PLUGGER if it was up to you we would still have Leowe, Harvey, Thompson and Bourke running around. Its called progressing and introducing new players to take us forward - not blind loyalty! The only player I have potted this year is McEvoy and I stand by my previous on him - he will never be a dominant ruckman! He simplty doesnt have the tools to improve...
and jones...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

WinnersOnly wrote:PLUGGER if it was up to you we would still have Leowe, Harvey, Thompson and Bourke running around. Its called progressing and introducing new players to take us forward - not blind loyalty! The only player I have potted this year is McEvoy and I stand by my previous on him - he will never be a dominant ruckman! He simplty doesnt have the tools to improve...
Well WO, it's true that Pluggs has previously stated that he was at least somewhat of a fan of Damien Bourke. However, we'll have to ask him again though to find out if he still is... :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:PLUGGER if it was up to you we would still have Leowe, Harvey, Thompson and Bourke running around. Its called progressing and introducing new players to take us forward - not blind loyalty! The only player I have potted this year is McEvoy and I stand by my previous on him!

I think we should be dropping and bringing in certain players but it seems to me we want to drop the wrong players and also move guys to play in positions that dont suit them or the team. And i may not suggest a lot of changes or moving players to other positions but it seems that the coaches are thinking the same as me.

By the way i am not blind to Jones lack of skill. he is a shocking kick however i also dont get sucked in by form at sandy. The funny thing is when these guys are picked and have an ordinary game we want to drop them straight away. it seems the players we dont see are always better than the average ones we do. The problem with that is it is wrong.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Curren doesn't have CJs run.Watch CJ and you will notice that he is often the only guy running into space for a team mate and provides a running link with heaps of pressure acts. Not sure he isn't adding value to the team. Workhorses are a valued commodity in teams and as such he will probably continued getting picked. Curren looks like a player but not sure if he will oust Clinton yet. Carazzo is a gun and just saying we should turn Curren into him isn't exactly easy or we would already have done it.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I haven't potted Jones what I have said is reality...wake up and smell the roses people! Having another player putting pressure on JONES can only by good all round. As far as CURREN goes give him an opportunity and see how he goes - thats how Clinton got into the team! He is young but has a far superior skill set to JONES....and he has worked hard to get the opportunity!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't Ledger & Ross be in front of Curren for a midfield gig?

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Curren doesn't have CJs run.Watch CJ and you will notice that he is often the only guy running into space for a team mate and provides a running link with heaps of pressure acts. Not sure he isn't adding value to the team. Workhorses are a valued commodity in teams and as such he will probably continued getting picked. Curren looks like a player but not sure if he will oust Clinton yet. Carazzo is a gun and just saying we should turn Curren into him isn't exactly easy or we would already have done it.
Carrazzo was on the rookie list and worked hard to get where he is. It is something that wont happen immediately but surely people can see Jones's limitations! There is no point in having these kids developing on the list if we are too afraid to give them the opportunity to shine! Pressure on positions makes for a healthy and competitive environment.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Well WO, it's true that Pluggs has previously stated that he was at least somewhat of a fan of Damien Bourke. However, we'll have to ask him again though to find out if he still is... :wink:
The former Geelong ruckman? I think Winners Only was referring to Darren Bourke.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd give Geary a shot at it, and put Newnes into the backline.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

kosifantutti wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
The former Geelong ruckman? I think Winners Only was referring to Darren Bourke.
Maybe Darren Bourke?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'd give Geary a shot at it, and put Newnes into the backline.
I've been wondering if he could have stints in the middle too, he definitely wins his own ball.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

IluvHarvey & kosifantutti both correctly wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
The former Geelong ruckman? Maybe Darren Bourke? I think Winners Only was referring to Darren Bourke.
Yep, that'd be the one. :oops:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:Upgrade CURREN to fill JONES's position!

Clint JONES has been a wonderful stallwart for the club but his inability to hurt the opposition when he has the ball has killed us for too long. On a lot of occasions he assists the opposition as they know his weakness and simply man up on the go to players. It is time to start getting games into our kids and CURREN for me is someone who can develop into a player similiar to Carrazzo. JONES is in poor form this year and has not improved one element of his game - his time has come Im afraid!
Carrazzo is an awful kick so why would we want Curren to become Carrazzo?

Good kicks please.

felix
Club Player

Jones has had nearly as many tackles as kicks this year 82 kicks and 70 tackles . That's an unusual stat I think?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Geary's kicking isn't much of an improvement on Clint's, so no real point IMO...

Perhaps Newnes can develop into that midfield rotation from next season on, as he seems very neat...

Geary's strength are very similar to Jones', work rate, tenacity, endurance, strongish body for small blokes... Gears a more natural defender where Clint seems more suited to the middle..

I'm torn when it comes to Jones... Occasionally does a superb lockdown job on dangerous opponents, but has just as many poor games where he butchers every possie... 100% effort tho, which must be admired...

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

"He is young but has a far superior skill set to JONES"

Oh thats gold...a skill set never tried in an AFL game..instead a level far below..but hes already superior to Clint Jones...hilarious

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

How small minded are you lot ? All I was trying to do was raise possibles to improve the side going forward. Yet the responses I get are carrying on re the spelling of Burke. There is a real pack mentality on this site - what are you all so cowardice to express an opinion rather than take the mickey out of others!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think Jones should be given a go as a half forward flanker. He could be the perfect link up player on the burst out of HB or from centre bounces because forward flanks have always been a good place to hide players with average skills and I can see him trying to hit up a forward streaming out of the goal square and if he does shank the pass he'll drill it down the throat of Roo on the boundary just outside the 50 arc.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Geary's kicking isn't much of an improvement on Clint's, so no real point IMO...

Perhaps Newnes can develop into that midfield rotation from next season on, as he seems very neat...

Geary's strength are very similar to Jones', work rate, tenacity, endurance, strongish body for small blokes... Gears a more natural defender where Clint seems more suited to the middle..

I'm torn when it comes to Jones... Occasionally does a superb lockdown job on dangerous opponents, but has just as many poor games where he butchers every possie... 100% effort tho, which must be admired...
I reckon Geary has much more of an attacking mindset than Jones, well these days anyway...

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:"He is young but has a far superior skill set to JONES"

Oh thats gold...a skill set never tried in an AFL game..instead a level far below..but hes already superior to Clint Jones...hilarious
Not to mention his skills arent all that flash to begin with.

PJ
SS Life Member

I'd like to see Curren eventually upgraded but not at the expense of Jones he's still our no 1 lockdown man IMO.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:PLUGGER if it was up to you we would still have Leowe, Harvey, Thompson and Bourke running around. Its called progressing and introducing new players to take us forward...
Meaningless hyperbole. If you want a team that consitently shuns senior players in favour of untried youth, GWS and GC have a ton of empty seats at most of their games.

As goofy as his kicking action is, Clint Jones doesn't turn the ball over that much. He knows his limitations and doesn't make a lot of risky decisions. He's one of the better stoppers in the league. If our aim is to win next week, then he'll play. If our aim is to win next year, then he'll play. Suck it up and learn to deal with the kicking action. Jones isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Yeah nah pleasing positive