Not good enough Watters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Not good enough Watters

I blame the coach largely for today.

Weak selections no guts no glory.

Good luck against Essendon you'll need it :evil:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Not good enough Watters

saintspremiers wrote:I blame the coach largely for today.

Who should have played. Not worried by selection but our game plan is average at best. maybe a few who think RL couldnt coach better realise the game is more than just scoring a 100 points a game. If it was only that simple.

St Lenny
Club Player

Watters clearly got the team selection wrong. But I guess loosing 3 of our talls didnt help.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:I blame the coach largely for today.

Who should have played. Not worried by selection but our game plan is average at best. maybe a few who think RL couldnt coach better realise the game is more than just scoring a 100 points a game. If it was only that simple.
How about players fit and, I know this is a crazy thought, but ones not chucking up their insides?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosi should not have played
jones would have slowed ziebel and or swallow down.
simpkin is ahead of both raph and blake.
and faz is a mile ahead of tazza atm.
Is the coach statist against his native WA or trying to overcompensate?
Seems Ledger, Fazza, Jones, Wilkes not getting great goes with Scotty. Just a thought.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Seems Ledger, Fazza, Jones, Wilkes not getting great goes with Scotty. Just a thought.
Selection is decided by more than just Watters.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Selection is decided by more than just Watters.
So they all racist? No wonder the sandgropers want to secede :)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What happened to RL's gameplan last year in the elim-final?

Ok, it's not as simple as just kicking goals, but we're getting that part of our game right and in the past we didn't. Team selection is critical. There was a whole thread on the line-up looking too much like 2009....The game-plan worked in 2009 because most of our stars were at the peak of their playing careers and we had no problem carrying passengers. We need more changes to the team than just Saad and Millera, but at the moment these guys along with a few others are playing poorly and some of our stars have stopped shining.

We can't afford 4 or 5 passengers in matches against teams competing with us for a top 8 spot, but we can certainly carry a few against the Suns and GWS. I'd prefer to see a few more guys on the list get some gametime instead of Lenny, Blake, Gram and Milne against the weakest teams. The coaches missed a fantastic opportunity to manage Kos and Millera and Roo a couple of our midfielders in that game against the Suns. Instead of being reactive, why not take a punt and plan some extra gametime into the young blokes at Sandy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:What happened to RL's gameplan last year in the elim-final?

Ok, it's not as simple as just kicking goals, but we're getting that part of our game right and in the past we didn't. Team selection is critical. There was a whole thread on the line-up looking too much like 2009....The game-plan worked in 2009 because most of our stars were at the peak of their playing careers and we had no problem carrying passengers. We need more changes to the team than just Saad and Millera, but at the moment these guys along with a few others are playing poorly and some of our stars have stopped shining.

We can't afford 4 or 5 passengers in matches against teams competing with us for a top 8 spot, but we can certainly carry a few against the Suns and GWS. I'd prefer to see a few more guys on the list get some gametime instead of Lenny, Blake, Gram and Milne against the weakest teams. The coaches missed a fantastic opportunity to manage Kos and Millera and Roo a couple of our midfielders in that game against the Suns. Instead of being reactive, why not take a punt and plan some extra gametime into the young blokes at Sandy.

Maybe RL knew our backlines limitations and that is why we didnt just go out and try and outscore sides. Anyway resting guys against GC wouldnt have mattered yesterday. We always look for crap excuses just like some are saying about Kosi. My good he has been poor for 5 weeks. Dont think he has been sick that long. Beaten yesterday because we now cant defend and dont have the forwards to kick a better score than the opposition.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

agree, I thought the coaching tonight was uninspiring

clinton jones was sorely missed
dempster was tagging and unable to have defensive influence he has been having
gilbert on the wing did not work and then never got into the game (even when moved back)
goddard forward did not work and played there for too long
selection too old (got to play more than two new faces) - our senior players definitely to better accountability when the younger guys are out there

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

It wouldn't matter if a super human with all the best skills of Leigh Matthews, Malthouse, Sheedy and Norm Smith coached yesterday.

That was one of the worst displays of effort and execution I've seen in years.

It's a miracle we kicked 100 points and a miracle we stayed within 6 goals of them!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Yeah some of our match ups were ordinary!

Gilbert on Wells was ridiculous.
Clark 187 on Hansen 196 when Gilbert is 194 and playing on a guy 182.
Saad 176 75kgs on Firrito 191 & 100kg's got monstered
Kosi playing with flu - obvioulsy self preservation!
Wilkes should have played...

We neeeded a lock down player other than Dempster. Dempster as been good down back and losing him to play on Harvey was ridiculous.

Why couldn't we lock the ball in our forwrad line as soon as the won the ball they had spare players everywhere out the back and the run from behind killed us!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
wallbanger
Club Player

Wasn't Watters best coaching performance, but the lack of effort and execution certainly didn't help either - that is as much the players fault as the coaches.

Having said that, what was the mega-slow game plan all about last night? Right from the start it seemed like all the run and carry we had gotten used to under Watters so far was suddenly put on the shelf for this slow, chip kick, take a mark and slowly walk back with your back to your team mates crap. It had to have been an instruction - too many players were doing it too often. Was very weird - at one point we all thought Schneider was injured he was going so slow after taking a mark - and it was in the middle of the quarter, he had plenty of options and players ahead of the ball for him to move it on to. Very bizarre.

Play like that next week and they will suffer a very heavy loss.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

wallbanger wrote:Wasn't Watters best coaching performance, but the lack of effort and execution certainly didn't help either - that is as much the players fault as the coaches.

Having said that, what was the mega-slow game plan all about last night? Right from the start it seemed like all the run and carry we had gotten used to under Watters so far was suddenly put on the shelf for this slow, chip kick, take a mark and slowly walk back with your back to your team mates crap. It had to have been an instruction - too many players were doing it too often. Was very weird - at one point we all thought Schneider was injured he was going so slow after taking a mark - and it was in the middle of the quarter, he had plenty of options and players ahead of the ball for him to move it on to. Very bizarre.

Good pick up - I really thought it was Lyon-like the way we moved the ball especially forward, stagnant, slow and when we got to 50 with poor decision making/bombing it in.....

I heard Watters leading up to the game worried bout Nths fast playing style - reckon we got sucked into that and tried toplay "tempo" and it failed big time.

Looked to me to be a massive step backwards last night - so much at stake top 8, chance to be game clear and we got dumb.

“Yeah….nah””
defacto
Club Player

i reckon there was a fair bit of laidely in how we structure up against north.

dont think we will buy into laidelys inside info as much next time.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:i reckon there was a fair bit of laidely in how we structure up against north.

dont think we will buy into laidelys inside info as much next time.

Their team has been totally overhauled since Laidley last coached them more than 3 years ago

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Watters coaching is great !
What he is doing is showing that allot of our older players can no longer cut it !
It will be cleanout time come october !

In red white and black from 73
Richter
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
wallbanger wrote:Wasn't Watters best coaching performance, but the lack of effort and execution certainly didn't help either - that is as much the players fault as the coaches.

Good pick up - I really thought it was Lyon-like the way we moved the ball especially forward, stagnant, slow and when we got to 50 with poor decision making/bombing it in.....

I heard Watters leading up to the game worried bout Nths fast playing style - reckon we got sucked into that and tried toplay "tempo" and it failed big time.

Looked to me to be a massive step backwards last night - so much at stake top 8, chance to be game clear and we got dumb.
The 'tempo footy' approach looked great in the latter part of the 1st Q and then in the first part of the 2nd... to me it looked like it was about addding a bit of defensive structure to the dash that has worked so well offensively for us this year. At 7 goals up to 3 down we looked awesome...

The problem is that the Roos held on, we did not put in the killer blow and as the game went on they gradually overcome us... by the final Q we looked old, worn and shot... whilst there were perhaps some coaching/selection decisions that influenced this, the fact is we ARE old,and worn.... and this group have 2 more games to show they are not completely spent before IMO we are into full-blown rebuilding mode.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...