Freo to target Goddard...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freo to target Goddard...

Why do people think that Freo would give us anything. if he was to go we get nothing off Freo unless Freo are stupid enough to trade with us. Why they would do that is beyond me when they can get him for nothing. I know we can match the offer from Freo and he stays but lets face it, it seems they have room on their salary cap and we dont. If he goes we will get a first rounder from the AFL but no player or trade from Freo. If he going we need to somehow push him to GWS which will be very hard.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Whatever outcome happens as long as it helps the club out I couldn't care less or wish to stress about contract negotiations. Players come & go, this is reality.

Goddard is a great player at his best, but he's been nowhere near his best & he's not worth killing our salary cap over. Look at teams like Geelong, premiership teams where no-one is paid over the odds. Ablett wants a million? f*** off to another club. Did it hurt Geelong? Did it kill St.Kilda when Lockett left?

There are so many real day to day problems in peoples lives - do people really stress out about this stuff 24/7? If Goddard recaptures his form great....if he wants a ridiculous sum of money where it hampers our salary cap - there's the door.

I agree with you Savatage, if he goes he goes, as long as we get compensation i don't care!

Royston
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Barrett also reckons gws having a sneaky look at Reid from Pies who after signing Cloke (hope he bleeds them..), Beams, Wellingham.......might struggle for coin left...(Id keep Reid before Wellingham if I had no choice but..)

Reid would be nice....

Sydney are into Reid from the Pies in a big way.....wouldn't surprise if he went there, otherwise will stay a Pie.

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

The way I see it - for the last 18 months Goddard has behaved like a petulant child - if he want's to go let him (i'm still not sure why the hysteria over him tbh) and we shall boo like those who have gone before him.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sydney have 3 very competent key defenders.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

He's value for money at high 300s and maybe low 400s if he can get his head straight. He is probably better suited to a club that is perceived to be in flag contention in the next year or two like Freo and that can pay him the cash he thinks he's worth.

Does anyone really think he's the type of player that would want to stay at our club because he wants to help mentor and develop the next generation of players.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think BJ needs to play more for the team rather than himself.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Does anyone really think he's the type of player that would want to stay at our club because he wants to help mentor and develop the next generation of players.
Well that depends. Does anyone really know him?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Mrs_Seaford_Saint wrote:The way I see it - for the last 18 months Goddard has behaved like a petulant child - if he want's to go let him (i'm still not sure why the hysteria over him tbh) and we shall boo like those who have gone before him.
Really Mrs Seaford?

How so?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cairnsman wrote: Does anyone really think he's the type of player that would want to stay at our club because he wants to help mentor and develop the next generation of players.
Exactly Doc.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Stupid question. Don't you read the posts about him on here?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Stupid question. Don't you read the posts about him on here?
I know, someone even went so far once as to say Goddard and Roo are.....

Oh wait.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If bj gets 600-750 from Freo he would be stupid to stay.

STUPID.

Good luck to him. We got him because Carlton cheated, we got him for nothing and he served the Saints for many quality seasons. Almost got us a flag in 09 and 10.

We would get a compo first rounder and 500k or so in the SC to look at trades etc.

bj is a quality player but life goes on. How did we go last game without bj?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why do people think that Freo would give us anything. if he was to go we get nothing off Freo unless Freo are stupid enough to trade with us. Why they would do that is beyond me when they can get him for nothing. I know we can match the offer from Freo and he stays but lets face it, it seems they have room on their salary cap and we dont. If he goes we will get a first rounder from the AFL but no player or trade from Freo. If he going we need to somehow push him to GWS which will be very hard.

This.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Forget he almost got us a flag. Fork we never got one and in my opinion Freo wont win a flag in my lifetime. Ross Lyon is too one dimensional for them.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Forget he almost got us a flag. F*** we never got one and in my opinion Freo wont win a flag in my lifetime. Ross Lyon is too one dimensional for them.
Maybe there'd be a bit more love for BJ if we had've scored another point and won that flag.

His mark would've have taken on even more significance. And he'd be a premiership hero.

Then despite some indifferent form since that date, we'd be discussing the possible departure of one of the 2010 legends.

Ahhh, the point of it all :?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So was Ross too one dimensional for us.... He almost won us a flag??

I support BJ as a footy player whilst he's at StK... I don't love him, or any other for that matter.

We need to get over the fact that we ALMOST won a premiership.....

There has been plenty of almosts.... So what

BTW
1966 players are legends, 2010 players are not..... That's the difference between winning and losing in sport - 1 point in this case...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So was Ross too one dimensional for us.... He almost won us a flag??

I support BJ as a footy player whilst he's at StK... I don't love him, or any other for that matter.

We need to get over the fact that we ALMOST won a premiership.....

There has been plenty of almosts.... So what

BTW
1966 players are legends, 2010 players are not..... That's the difference between winning and losing in sport - 1 point in this case...
I AM over it.

I was just pondering whether attitudes to BJ would be any different. Reasonable question I would think.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's a fair question

But the cap would be the same and if he was squeezed out, it happens.....

Cloke was the hero at Collingwood.... The attitude towards him was NO different

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

savatage wrote:Whatever outcome happens as long as it helps the club out I couldn't care less or wish to stress about contract negotiations. Players come & go, this is reality.

Goddard is a great player at his best, but he's been nowhere near his best & he's not worth killing our salary cap over. Look at teams like Geelong, premiership teams where no-one is paid over the odds. Ablett wants a million? f*** off to another club. Did it hurt Geelong? Did it kill St.Kilda when Lockett left?

There are so many real day to day problems in peoples lives - do people really stress out about this stuff 24/7? If Goddard recaptures his form great....if he wants a ridiculous sum of money where it hampers our salary cap - there's the door.
Well said.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:If bj gets 600-750 from Freo he would be stupid to stay.

STUPID.

Good luck to him. We got him because Carlton cheated, we got him for nothing and he served the Saints for many quality seasons. Almost got us a flag in 09 and 10.

We would get a compo first rounder and 500k or so in the SC to look at trades etc.

bj is a quality player but life goes on. How did we go last game without bj?
Exactly! He'd be mad not to take it. The world we live in revolves around money. The club doesn't need yesterdays hero and BJ won't get what he wants from the club if he stays, assuming money and premierships are what he wants. He clearly isn't the player he used to be and IMO that has a lot to do with losing the belief for a flag. To be fair he could have also sustained a permanent injury which now restricts. Who would know but at the end of the day I just hope we don't pay 6s or 7s for him.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

well he's heading for QLD

today with the team
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

maybe someone can ask him- or make a judgement re his demeanour and involvement.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:

Well said.
When has BJ said contrary to this?

Only ever said he wants to be a saints player, and he'll cross that bridge when he comes to it.

So much guesswork on his feelings, moods...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Fremantle have said they are in the market for a key forward. How ironic would it be if BJ went and was played in that role after Ross steadfastly refused to use him there for us.

IMO he is potentially an 80-goal a year player.

Quick scan of Coleman medalists in the last 50 years. Besides Gary Ablett Snr and Leigh Matthews - No player under 190cm has kicked that many goals. So I really doubt BJ is suddenly going to do it at 28 or whatever he is will be next year. But I could definitely see him kicking 50 a year for sure for a few years.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The game has changed dramatically Con, he may or may not blossom in that role, however judging on the past may not give a good indication.

Forwards need the body to run these days, that's for sure.

Agree that clubs are going to be thinking outside the box due to the lack of KPP's out there though.