Freo to target Goddard...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Freo to target Goddard...

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Fremantle have said they are in the market for a key forward. How ironic would it be if BJ went and was played in that role after Ross steadfastly refused to use him there for us.

IMO he is potentially an 80-goal a year player.

Quick scan of Coleman medalists in the last 50 years. Besides Gary Ablett Snr and Leigh Matthews - No player under 190cm has kicked that many goals. So I really doubt BJ is suddenly going to do it at 28 or whatever he is will be next year. But I could definitely see him kicking 50 a year for sure for a few years.

Daicos (184cm) is one who comes to mind without really thinking about it. Didn't win a Coleman, but kicked 97 goals in 1990 playing mostly at full forward.

Former Saint Alex Jesaulenko kicked 115 at full forward for Carlton in 1970 and he was a pygmy by today's standards at 182cm.

Jason Heatley (189cm) kicked 73 for us in 1997.

Tony Modra (189cm).

Peter Hudson (189cm) - second best full forward of all time behind Lockett - and he actually did win a Coleman.

Jason Dunstall (189cm), also a Coleman medallist.

Malcolm Blight (182cm) won the Coleman in 1982 with 94 goals.

I could go on, but clearly height is only part of the equation.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 13 Jul 2012 2:53pm, edited 5 times in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:well he's heading for QLD

today with the team
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

maybe someone can ask him- or make a judgement re his demeanour and involvement.
Leave it with me. I'll take photos too!

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Mrs_Seaford_Saint wrote:The way I see it - for the last 18 months Goddard has behaved like a petulant child - if he want's to go let him (i'm still not sure why the hysteria over him tbh) and we shall boo like those who have gone before him.
Really Mrs Seaford?

How so?
His on-field attitude leaves a lot to be desired - I understand the "angry" persona when playing but the constant mouthing off at others because of his own frustration is petulant - and it's been going on since round 1 2011 he needs to channel the frustration better - jmho

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Why do people think that Freo would give us anything. if he was to go we get nothing off Freo unless Freo are stupid enough to trade with us. Why they would do that is beyond me when they can get him for nothing. I know we can match the offer from Freo and he stays but lets face it, it seems they have room on their salary cap and we dont. If he goes we will get a first rounder from the AFL but no player or trade from Freo. If he going we need to somehow push him to GWS which will be very hard.

This.
Please don't requote plugger, as it enables stinger to read his posts, which supposedly are all inflammatory.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

SainterK wrote:
samoht wrote:
savatage wrote:Whatever outcome happens as long as it helps the club out I couldn't care less or wish to stress about contract negotiations. Players come & go, this is reality.

Goddard is a great player at his best, but he's been nowhere near his best & he's not worth killing our salary cap over. Look at teams like Geelong, premiership teams where no-one is paid over the odds. Ablett wants a million? f*** off to another club. Did it hurt Geelong? Did it kill St.Kilda when Lockett left?

There are so many real day to day problems in peoples lives - do people really stress out about this stuff 24/7? If Goddard recaptures his form great....if he wants a ridiculous sum of money where it hampers our salary cap - there's the door.
Well said.
When has BJ said contrary to this?

Only ever said he wants to be a saints player, and he'll cross that bridge when he comes to it.

So much guesswork on his feelings, moods...
Who said he said anything to the contrary ? The word "if" is used and what savatage is saying is that whatever the end result is, let's accept it, as long as it's in the club's best interest.
In the meantime why worry about something that we can't control anyway 24/7 ?
I've got to agree with that.
In my opinion -
Ablett was also sending mixed signals and allowing people to think that he was off, by not signing
If Goddard wants to remain a Saints player then he should sign at his going rate and let himself and his team mates concentrate on winning games.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 13 Jul 2012 2:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Generally, they are...

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

joffaboy wrote:If bj gets 600-750 from Freo he would be stupid to stay.
Good luck to him. We got him because Carlton cheated, we got him for nothing and he served the Saints for many quality seasons. Almost got us a flag in 09 and 10.
We would get a compo first rounder and 500k or so in the SC to look at trades etc.
bj is a quality player but life goes on. How did we go last game without bj?
savatage wrote:Goddard is a great player at his best, but he's been nowhere near his best & he's not worth killing our salary cap over. Look at teams like Geelong, premiership teams where no-one is paid over the odds. Ablett wants a million? f*** off to another club. Did it hurt Geelong? Did it kill St.Kilda when Lockett left?
...If Goddard recaptures his form great....if he wants a ridiculous sum of money where it hampers our salary cap - there's the door.
I think that you guys have encapsulated this really well! :idea:

I don't want BJ to go, however if some other club is prepared to pay overs for him, then we would be stupid to try and match that... much smarter to wish him well..., thanks for all the good times (always feel welcome to drop by when in the 'hood)..., and take the early compo' pick and freed up salary cap space.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:[

Please don't requote plugger, as it enables stinger to read his posts, which supposedly are all inflammatory.
:roll:

the ones made in reply to mine are.... :roll:...or more correctly....always were.....don't know know because i don't have to view them.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Daicos (184cm) is one who comes to mind without really thinking about it. Didn't win a Coleman, but kicked 97 goals in 1990 playing mostly at full forward.

Former Saint Alex Jesaulenko kicked 115 at full forward for Carlton in 1970 and he was a pygmy by today's standards at 182cm.

Jason Heatley (189cm) kicked 73 for us in 1997.

Tony Modra (189cm).

Peter Hudson (189cm) - second best full forward of all time behind Lockett - and he actually did win a Coleman.

Jason Dunstall (189cm), also a Coleman medallist.

I could go on, but clearly height is only part of the equation.

well played bigcarl! good stats. u named some real guns there. so yeah. my glance was very cursory. so the height thing isnt an issue - u are right.
Beej could definitely be a 50+goal kicker in the right team etc. So yeah - maybe he would add some real value at dockerland if they went down that path...
its getting pretty darn late in the season to be unsigned.... and we have seen how that ends up...
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 13 Jul 2012 5:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

the ones made in reply to mine are.... :roll:...or more correctly....always were.....don't know know because i don't have to view them.....

Thats good so i wont see any angry ffs and rolling eyes and exciting replies like plus 1.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:

Thats good so i wont see any angry ffs and rolling eyes and exciting replies like plus 1.
Love your work plugs.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Love your work plugs.
getting a bit tired of yours.... :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Love your work plugs.
getting a bit tired of yours.... :roll:

Only the rolling eyes. Disappointing. Where is the ffs?

Anyway plus 1 SP.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

An interesting discussion guys - well worth the read.
To me, you are all wrong.
Would not worry me if BJ went to Freo as a forward because all his good football with us has been as an outside player, on baller.
He is too slow for a forward and is often caught in possession. Can take a grab, sure, but that is when he is not covered by the opposition.
As an onballer, he picks up a lot of uncontested possies, not that many contested possies.
So as a full forward or KPP, would fail and Ross would know that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Bj 's out for two weeks because of his stupidity !
So next week when he comes back in we should except to see his best preformance . He'll be 100% fit so no excuses for him not to have a BOG Game !
A BOG performance will prove to everyone his value to the side !
However , he's become like kosi , you never know what your going to get !

In red white and black from 73
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I like BJ but he's another one of our long list of not quite up to his potential players - should be one of the elite in the AFL but doesn't rate amongst that Abletts, Pendles etc...
At worst should be comparable to the, Dals, Murphys, Selwoods etc but he seems a group below them too

Not worth paying over IMO.

If we could trade him, a first round pick and one of Freo's developing rucks would be a decent deal IMO

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:Freo must have shyte load cash...IF hypothetically this occured............Freo got anything we'd want for Goddard?
A player of equal ability ... not sure they have one.
What about Jack Anthony?

Saintsational Legend

well the friend or foe thing seems to be working fine :mrgreen:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:well the friend or foe thing seems to be working fine :mrgreen:
it is for me.... :D :D :D :D

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:
joffaboy wrote:If bj gets 600-750 from Freo he would be stupid to stay.
Good luck to him. We got him because Carlton cheated, we got him for nothing and he served the Saints for many quality seasons. Almost got us a flag in 09 and 10.
We would get a compo first rounder and 500k or so in the SC to look at trades etc.
bj is a quality player but life goes on. How did we go last game without bj?
savatage wrote:Goddard is a great player at his best, but he's been nowhere near his best & he's not worth killing our salary cap over. Look at teams like Geelong, premiership teams where no-one is paid over the odds. Ablett wants a million? f*** off to another club. Did it hurt Geelong? Did it kill St.Kilda when Lockett left?
...If Goddard recaptures his form great....if he wants a ridiculous sum of money where it hampers our salary cap - there's the door.
I think that you guys have encapsulated this really well! :idea:

I don't want BJ to go, however if some other club is prepared to pay overs for him, then we would be stupid to try and match that... much smarter to wish him well..., thanks for all the good times (always feel welcome to drop by when in the 'hood)..., and take the early compo' pick and freed up salary cap space.
If Goddard did leave I would expect we would chase someone armed with both our compensation pick and our first rounder.

Preferably Ben Reid. hahaha. He will do.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Has he had a three brownlow vote match in the last two years ?
probably none this year, his best games have been against gold coast where riewoldt is more likely to get the three.

once in 2011, three votes against melbourne in round 9 when he had 37 touches. two 2s and two 1s as well that year. (zero votes for getting 37 touches, 13 marks, 10 inside 50s against gold coast.)

the year before, 2010, twice (and two twos and four ones). rounds 11 and 12, against richmond and freo. obviously he would also have been very close to three votes in the drawn grand final that year.

2009 was his best brownlow year when he got three votes four times. 2008 twice coming back from a knee reco, 2007 no times as he only played a handful of games. 2006 twice, 2005 no times, 2004 once.