Key Backs and Ruckmen - list management

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jays
Club Player

Re: Key Backs and Ruckmen - list management

not bad

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

How is Milne so easily replaceable?? in 120 years of football there has been 4 small forwards who have impacted the game as much as Milney. He is a once in a generation player, how is that easily replaceable?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How was Barry Hall replaceable??.... At 24

Worse.... T.Lockett at 29

Worse still..... I.Stewart at 27 and won a brownlow the next year after he left, and we lost the GF

Milney is 33 next year, his overall consistency and longevity has been great... But it must end at some stage, there has always been a frustrating gap between good and bad Milney...

Once in a generation is a big call...
Farmer, Matera, Stevie J, Robbo, Paul Hudson, Betts, Rioli, Davis, Le Cras... All Australian Fwds who have mostly played 200 and kicked 400 odd

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How was Barry Hall replaceable??.... At 24

Worse.... T.Lockett at 29

Worse still..... I.Stewart at 27 and won a brownlow the next year after he left, and we lost the GF

Milney is 33 next year, his overall consistency and longevity has been great... But it must end at some stage, there has always been a frustrating gap between good and bad Milney...

Once in a generation is a big call...
Farmer, Matera, Stevie J, Robbo, Paul Hudson, Betts, Rioli, Davis, Le Cras... All Australian Fwds who have mostly played 200 and kicked 400 odd

Fancy a small forward having a huge gap between good and bad. In any grade of footy a good small forward will always have a big gap between good and bad. Its the position. Unless you can go onto the ball which Milney doesnt then there are so many variables for the forward and that is why they have gaps in form.

Anyway he is another who I expect to play next year. Why people want about 10 players to be delisted or retired is beyond me. Even if we upgrade 3 rookies, which i think will be 2, we still only want 5 picks in the draft baring trades which are impossible to predict. That leaves us with 8 at the most to leave. My count is 7. I reckon we can rid of 7 or 8 without retiring Milney or Lenny. Of course there is at least 8 games to go so anything can happen but on current form they look very safe to me even if we are in rebuilding mode. 100% safe if the club still gives them self a chance next year.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Tom Lynch (Gold Coast), could be worth a trade to get him in. The right size at 197cm and a key defender. The kid was a Dandy Stingray, might be worth a punt making a play for him now his initial 2-year deal is finished.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

We need a big tall power full back that is ultra fast on the burst and and can kick accurately, he needs to be good overhead and take massive contested marks and can also play well at ground level and can also play the half/quarter back role to win some ball and create play up forward. We need to get him very cheap and he also needs to be a great clubman. He needs to be able to drink and not drive but if he does he needs to do it without getting caught. I should be writing job descriptions for the club hey?

Calais
Club Player

Daniel Merret?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Dustin Fletcher probably has a few years left!!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, but plugger... You happy finishing middle of the road, because you can remember the bad old days...

If Stephen plays in 2013, and Blakey.... We are not serious about reloading, and just trying to milk a former great list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yeah, but plugger... You happy finishing middle of the road, because you can remember the bad old days...

If Stephen plays in 2013, and Blakey.... We are not serious about reloading, and just trying to milk a former great list.

Sorry i thought you started a thread saying we may still have a hope in 2013. If we do then we need Milne. As for Blake i doubt he will be around.