Do we fly the flag?

Watts the Buzz

Do we fly the flag?

For those of you that saw the Judd incident with Adams, I thought it was fantastic how so many North players flew the flag for the team and ran in to remonstrate with Judd. Crossed my mind last night that we didn't do the same when Rich threw Jonesy into the fence and when moron Merrett almost snapped a few vertebrae in Rooey's back.

Think it's something we can get better at......

Re: Do we fly the flag?

Don't agree. Why get sucked in and have players suspended because they got too hot under the collar? What does that achieve? Concentrate on getting the ball and let the scoreboard do the talking.......

By the way, there were remonstrations from our players over the Riewoldt incident with Merrett. Milney was in there for one. There was someone in there for the Jones incident but can't for the life of me recall who it was off the top f my head. Anyhow, why would you risk the free being overturned in Brisbane's favour for 2 seconds of satisfaction? We won the game with no reports and continue our March up the ladder. The days of going mental after a player is felled are long gone!!!

Watts the Buzz

It's not about 'going mental' and I definitely wouldn't advocate players getting suspended, it's all about letting the opposition know that they can't get away with it.

Watts the Buzz wrote:It's not about 'going mental' and I definitely wouldn't advocate players getting suspended, it's all about letting the opposition know that they can't get away with it.
And we did that. And they gave up their stupidity.

Flying the flag is pathetic.... All it got was a free kick to Judd

No one can do anything anyway...

Watts the Buzz wrote:It's not about 'going mental' and I definitely wouldn't advocate players getting suspended, it's all about letting the opposition know that they can't get away with it.
What do you want them to do? Nothing they can do except scream in the opposition players face. You can't touch anyone as you risk the free being reversed (if you manage to score one - North player didn't.....) or spend time on the sidelines.

Would much rather them concentrate on winning the game and footy. Just my 2 cents worth!!

Winning is the ultimate payback.

Put the aggression into winning your next contest.

remember when in the VFL filandia bit the balls of one of our players? he got the free kick after we retaliated, got two 50s and then scored the goal that won them the game.

WTF? he was suspended for 12 weeks but they won the grand final.

WTF?

South OZ Saint

Dan Warna wrote:remember when in the VFL filandia bit the balls of one of our players? he got the free kick after we retaliated, got two 50s and then scored the goal that won them the game.

WTF?
Filandia bit off more than he could chew!

BigMart wrote:Flying the flag is pathetic.... All it got was a free kick to Judd

yeah but north won the game convincingly.
so i think it showed norths intent.
i was disappointed when we played norf - they won the game and the fights. u need to turn up to compete physically. i dont mean punching or anything. just not being bullied. Only Milney remonstrated against Merrett after he pole-axed Rooey. Big Ben needs to use his size more.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 15 Jul 2012 11:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Flying the flag" is rubbish. Given the way things are with umpiring and the MRP, you should either keep away or else go in and seriously maim the culprit and cop the ten week suspension. What does yelling and pushing and shoving achieve? Childish and pointless, and could lead to a free against you, a fine or even a suspension.

Yes, we do fly the flag. See last week's attack on Lenny by Heath Hocking for an example. Multiple players remonstrated, no free given away... in fact we got a 50 (not sure why?) on top of down the field free. Ad we went on to win the game by 10+ goals... perfect response... Oh, and Lenny very gracious when asked about it after the game...

hate to say it. buts its a concern.

we dont have an enforcer. most grand final sides have an enforcer.

BigMart wrote:Flying the flag is pathetic.... All it got was a free kick to Judd

Totally agree. Flying the flag is a thing of the past. It's so 80s

Dan Warna wrote:remember when in the VFL filandia bit the balls of one of our players? he got the free kick after we retaliated, got two 50s and then scored the goal that won them the game.

WTF?

yeah i do......unfortunately...

defacto wrote:hate to say it. buts its a concern.

we dont have an enforcer. most grand final sides have an enforcer.
Yes we do. He has been sitting on the sidelines for the last 2 weeks. :roll:

ShanghaiSaint

saint75 wrote:Don't agree. Why get sucked in and have players suspended because they got too hot under the collar? What does that achieve? Concentrate on getting the ball and let the scoreboard do the talking.......

By the way, there were remonstrations from our players over the Riewoldt incident with Merrett. Milney was in there for one. There was someone in there for the Jones incident but can't for the life of me recall who it was off the top f my head. Anyhow, why would you risk the free being overturned in Brisbane's favour for 2 seconds of satisfaction? We won the game with no reports and continue our March up the ladder. The days of going mental after a player is felled are long gone!!!
I think it was Geary

Armo seems pretty happy to get himself involved - he's got the natural instinct to throw his weight around and stick up for his teammates, and thats great. It's the guys who dont find it natural that get themselves in trouble when flying the flag (see Nicks flying forearm...)

I was concerned that we were being "bullied" early on against the Brions, the same way we were against the Kangas. We were on the other end against the Blues, but we did it all within the rules of the game.

Loks like I'm going against the flow, but I reckon flying the flag is a must. Thank god we have milney and armo in the team. Nothing stupid, but you don't ignore it. Take the Judd incident - if the two north players had ignored it very likely it would've had less attention paid to it and Judd would have no case to answer. Adams would be wondering why his teammates left him in pain, eroding that sense of all for one and one for all. The commentators would've glossed it over or laughed it off. But instead mcaveny went from ignoring it to exclaiming about the foul on Judd, to suddenly noticing on the reply what a dog act it was. Leigh went from laughter to puzzlement to condemnation. the north reaction reinforced that this was no fun and games.

agreed ... fly the flag ... smartly
... THEN everyone , as team , takes that as a signal to ramp up the 'at the footy and them when they have it.'

take the monentum 'n flog em with it.
aint we experienced ?

butter boys we've been.
let others be green.

above the head for dancin maria

desertsaint wrote:Loks like I'm going against the flow, but I reckon flying the flag is a must. Thank god we have milney and armo in the team. Nothing stupid, but you don't ignore it. Take the Judd incident - if the two north players had ignored it very likely it would've had less attention paid to it and Judd would have no case to answer. Adams would be wondering why his teammates left him in pain, eroding that sense of all for one and one for all. The commentators would've glossed it over or laughed it off. But instead mcaveny went from ignoring it to exclaiming about the foul on Judd, to suddenly noticing on the reply what a dog act it was. Leigh went from laughter to puzzlement to condemnation. the north reaction reinforced that this was no fun and games.

How did they fly the flag re Judd? :?

All they did was drag him off Adams and throw him on the ground. Reckon our blokes would have done thye same in the same instance. As it was they gave away a free - in that instance it was worth it though because Judd could have caused serious damage if he kept going.

Flying the flag is about as useful as a coach going beserk at players at 1/2 time. Rarely has any impact, and occasionally has the opposite effect in that players lose focus, start going the man and giving away frees. You show your intent by how hard you keep cracking in I reckon. A smart team uses more subtle methods of letting the opposition know they're not happy.

How about concentrating on winning the next contest and be harder at the ball, rather than wasting energy cuddling opposition players