Saints v Swans - Preview / Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints v Swans - Preview / Discussion

White Winmar wrote:
SainterK wrote:You guys are making me uncomfortable.

In getting out the maracas, you are almost willing him into form ;)
Don't worry SainterK. I've got the voodoo doll out and I'm sticking pins into it as we speak (had to wrestle it away from Juddy, first). Worked a treat last time.
Good :)

That's assuming he even gets a game, they may go with White if LRT does miss.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Swans amaze me

Good template for us IMHO - smart recruiting (needed a ruck, identified a beauty and made it happen)

This game played at small SCG has 'midfield clearances' written all over it.... that worries me as Mummies ruck dominance and McEvoys centre tap weaknesses come head to head. Also, Hayes needs enormous help - in and under Armo also spreading will be crucial

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Swans amaze me

Good template for us IMHO - smart recruiting (needed a ruck, identified a beauty and made it happen)

This game played at small SCG has 'midfield clearances' written all over it.... that worries me as Mummies ruck dominance and McEvoys centre tap weaknesses come head to head. Also, Hayes needs enormous help - in and under Armo also spreading will be crucial

Totally agree. Whilst I am a huge fan of Ben he must somehow break level with Mummy. Mumford beat 2 of the best ruckmen in the league at their home ground yesterday and ha a huge influence in their win. Ben must nullify in the ruck and work both back and forward on Mumford who apparently has a huge tank. Will nearly decide the game IMO.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Swans have elite ball winners and midfield depth, that's where they have been so dominant. Kennedy, O'Keefe, Jack, Bolton, McVeigh, Hanneberry, Jetta, McGlynn and Bird. That's one elite midfield who compliment each other. Plenty of ball winners and plenty of outside runners who can kick goals. I'm not sure of the stats but I'd comfortably say the Swans along with an injury free Collingwood have the best midfield. I reckon we have them covered in the forward and back halves (so do a lot of teams) however that'll mean squat if we can't go close to breaking even in the midfield.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:The Swans have elite ball winners and midfield depth, that's where they have been so dominant. Kennedy, O'Keefe, Jack, Bolton, McVeigh, Hanneberry, Jetta, McGlynn and Bird. That's one elite midfield who compliment each other. Plenty of ball winners and plenty of outside runners who can kick goals. I'm not sure of the stats but I'd comfortably say the Swans along with an injury free Collingwood have the best midfield. I reckon we have them covered in the forward and back halves (so do a lot of teams) however that'll mean squat if we can't go close to breaking even in the midfield.
Yep, especially important on a smal SCG ground.... one kick from centre you are in goal square IMHO IF we can win enough of centre clearances to give Kos, Roo....3 rd tall?? a chance 1 out we become a massive handful for their backs on this ground.

If Mummy goes nuts and they get 10 clearances in succession.... expect 7 goals... so hard for defenders this ground if midfield is doing little to slow it up

I'd really also like our runners going forward to be instructed IF you are on 50, can cover the distance and are clear - Take the shot - don't go looking for miracle pin point passes to people leading to pockets in a congested forward line... This is a ground made for Gram... IF he has the mettle to step up

Dempsrer to Okeefe for me, Ray second in line

Need more from Dal

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Old Mate wrote:The Swans have elite ball winners and midfield depth, that's where they have been so dominant. Kennedy, O'Keefe, Jack, Bolton, McVeigh, Hanneberry, Jetta, McGlynn and Bird. That's one elite midfield who compliment each other. Plenty of ball winners and plenty of outside runners who can kick goals. I'm not sure of the stats but I'd comfortably say the Swans along with an injury free Collingwood have the best midfield. I reckon we have them covered in the forward and back halves (so do a lot of teams) however that'll mean squat if we can't go close to breaking even in the midfield.
Yep, especially important on a smal SCG ground.... one kick from centre you are in goal square IMHO IF we can win enough of centre clearances to give Kos, Roo....3 rd tall?? a chance 1 out we become a massive handful for their backs on this ground.

If Mummy goes nuts and they get 10 clearances in succession.... expect 7 goals... so hard for defenders this ground if midfield is doing little to slow it up

I'd really also like our runners going forward to be instructed IF you are on 50, can cover the distance and are clear - Take the shot - don't go looking for miracle pin point passes to people leading to pockets in a congested forward line... This is a ground made for Gram... IF he has the mettle to step up

Dempsrer to Okeefe for me, Ray second in line

Need more from Dal

Dont like Dempster playing in the middle though especially if Jones does also. Limits our ball getting ability especially as you say it is such a small ground and quick clearances are vital. If O'Keefe rests forward then Dempster can take.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Dempster to O'Keefe sounds right. Jones shouldn't start in the middle cos his role will be on Jetta, you'd think. Joey on Hanneberry playing more accountable however still playing offensive at times. Dal and Goddard will be the two we will try and free up. Hayes head to head with Kennedy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Swans amaze me

I actually agree with GT's assessment, that Swans prove that a bunch of guys who work for one another, and play to their best ability (not neccessarily the best ability in the comp) that this is the result.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Helps that they have an extra 1.6 million in their salary cap too.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Helps that they have an extra 1.6 million in their salary cap too.
Surely not that much?
Why would they need any more than Melbourne clubs now, cost of living is the same. They have a recent premiership.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Helps that they have an extra 1.6 million in their salary cap too.
Surely not that much?
Why would they need any more than Melbourne clubs now, cost of living is the same. They have a recent premiership.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/af ... 6422963489

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
dragit wrote:
Surely not that much?

So 9.8% of 8.78 million is about 860,000 more… which is nonetheless 2 absolute superstars or 3 good players.

It is absolutely appalling that they should have any more cap these days, cost of living my arse, Melbourne is just as expensive.

I bet Brisbane still get a bigger cap even though it is cheaper than the other cities, WTF.

10% more money to spend on players is a pretty big deal, no wonder Sydney keep miraculously keep regenerating so well… they can simply afford to buy better players than most, genius.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
dragit wrote: Surely not that much?

So 9.8% of 8.78 million is about 860,000 more… which is nonetheless 2 absolute superstars or 3 good players.

It is absolutely appalling that they should have any more cap these days, cost of living my arse, Melbourne is just as expensive.

I bet Brisbane still get a bigger cap even though it is cheaper than the other cities, WTF.

10% more money to spend on players is a pretty big deal, no wonder Sydney keep miraculously keep regenerating so well… they can simply afford to buy better players than most, genius.

My ex wife lives in Sydney. There is no doubt it much more expensive than Melbourne and Brisbane dont get extra anymore.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: My ex wife lives in Sydney. There is no doubt it much more expensive than Melbourne and Brisbane dont get extra anymore.
She's just saying that to get more money out of you :D

Melbourne is right up there with Sydney in the world rankings for cost of living.

I thought Brisbane still had more cap, oh well at least they have their 3 premierships while it lasted.

Richter
SS Life Member

In round 9 we were 8 goals up before we took our foot off the gas.

Our new game style clearly matches up well against the Swans.

Having said that, the biggest 'in' will be Mumford, for reasons that others have articulated.

Not sure that I am completely sold on Farren Ray as a regular, so for mine he's the next out (after Wilkes). Also, if we are sacrificing a Tall marking target (Wilkes) then I'd like to keep another (Dunnell) in as an option so....

IN: Steven, Goddard
OUT: Wilkes, Ray

Dunnell to sub.

This gives us flexibility as both Siposs and Dunnell are medium Talls who can take a run through the midfield too.
Last edited by Richter on Mon 16 Jul 2012 6:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:How was their game against the coast? By the scoreline it seems it wasn't the energy sapping, injury nipping contest we were hoping for?
Nevertheless - I'm not lacking in confidence. Win it and we can genuinely push for top six, lose and it's back to a struggle for 7 or 8 and a possibe interstate first final.
Cant see an interstate side finishing in a position to give us an interstate final in the first week. Win that though and our odds are about 75% that the next final is interstate.
Not sure if you have seen the current ladder, but West Coast sit 5th and we sit 8th.

My assumption is that both the Collingwood and Hawks will finish in the top 4, so that one of Adelaide, Sydney or West Coast will drop out...

Adelaide - play Eagles, Cats, Bombers, Freo, Lions, Melbourne, Gold Coast
Sydney - play Saints, Gold Coast, Pies, Bulldogs, Hawks, Cats
West Coast - play Crows, Lions, Freo, Cats, Port, Pies, Hawks

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
desertsaint wrote:How was their game against the coast? By the scoreline it seems it wasn't the energy sapping, injury nipping contest we were hoping for?
Nevertheless - I'm not lacking in confidence. Win it and we can genuinely push for top six, lose and it's back to a struggle for 7 or 8 and a possibe interstate first final.
Cant see an interstate side finishing in a position to give us an interstate final in the first week. Win that though and our odds are about 75% that the next final is interstate.
Not sure if you have seen the current ladder, but West Coast sit 5th and we sit 8th.

My assumption is that both the Collingwood and Hawks will finish in the top 4, so that one of Adelaide, Sydney or West Coast will drop out...

Adelaide - play Eagles, Cats, Bombers, Freo, Lions, Melbourne, Gold Coast
Sydney - play Saints, Gold Coast, Pies, Bulldogs, Hawks, Cats
West Coast - play Crows, Lions, Freo, Cats, Port, Pies, Hawks

Yep as soon as I wrote that I thought maybe WCE have dropped out of the top 4. If you look at it logically WCE are in trouble especially with all their injuries.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Not sure that I am completely sold on Farren Ray as a regular, so for mine he's the next out (after Wilkes). Also, if we are sacrificing a Tall marking target (Wilkes) then I'd like to keep another (Dunnell) in as an option so....

IN: Steven, Goddard
OUT: Wilkes, Ray
Ray has worked his arse off at Sandy to get back into the team, was dropped in reasonable form, worked his arse off again and then played two very good games in a row in the seniors. No way should he be dropped, his marking and composure was a large reason why we won the game against Brisbane.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We can Definitely Win !

I like the fact that there on top and smashed the eagles ! No one will give us any chance , just like against the bummers . all the media attention will be how great their going and how much their gunna win by !
We can fly under the radar and pluck there feathers out !

In red white and black from 73
Sunil_saint
Club Player

I am actually making it up for this game sitting in Bay 32 Row T.

Can anyone tell me where the Saints fans congregate? Looking forward to this and even though the weather doesn't look too dry , I sense that we can be very competitive against the Swans ....especially in the wet ....I hope so anyway.........

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Will be extremely difficult to win...

Swans are a seriously good team and a legitimate flag threat...

yes, agree this is going to be very difficult to win!!!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
West coast 5th or 6th? Sydney 5th, even freo a possible 7th.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
West coast 5th or 6th? Sydney 5th, even freo a possible 7th.

Yes i said I got the WCE thing wrong. 7th doesnt matter but 5th or 6th will if we fall into the 8.
Last edited by plugger66 on Mon 16 Jul 2012 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

We have done it before so there is no reason why we cannot kill them and do it again.

If we win this week then play the dogs it becomes 10-7 and considering we will have games against GWS, Melbourne (I think) Carlton and Geelong, we can have a bit of a run into the finals and hopefully jag a win before getting molested by the losers of the Qualifying Finals.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Jetta's the most dangerous player in football right now. He's kicked a huge number of his goals as a midfielder running into space. From memory, Dempster drew the matchup last time and did a great job. I'd expect that again. I also think there will be a bunch of head to head matchups. ROK has played all over the place this year and spent a lot of time on Priddis yesterday. He could wind up anywhere from matched up on Lenny to playing loose behind the ball. I don't think we'll tag him though. Jetta, definitely; McVeigh, maybe. I don't think we tag anyone else.

Yeah nah pleasing positive