Oh dear - Saints in another Public Relations mess

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Oh dear - Saints in another Public Relations mess

Teflon wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:My daughter was one of those teenagers who following Justin Bieber around on Monday. At his hotel, he came out and was extremely nice and accommodating to the screaming teenage girls. A ten second encounter has made my daughter's year. Imagine how crushed she'd have been if he'd said "no fat chicks".
Not really a fair comparison...These screaming teenage girls make up the vast majority of Bieber's fans. They're the ones who buy his music (term used loosely) and merchandise. Without these fans, he is nothing.
Footballers on the other hand get most of their revenue from adult memberships, corporate sponsors and endorsements.

I am not condoning what was allegedly said but it was at an airport and not an official club function.
Oh, and the "victim" in question is not a teenage girl, she is a 21yo woman. If she was so aggrieved then she should have spoken up there and then and dealt with the issue instead of getting her mum to call 3AW. Even if she was scared of the confrontation then a call to the club would have been the mature approach.

The thing with these sort of issues is that you have one immature act compounded by another.

These issues are not newsworthy in the least. But we are thankful for the "Juddment Day" coverage that has buried this wannabe scandal.
I hear what you're saying but this post leaves me cold.

Have we really got to the stage where basic respect and civility for an individual seeking an autograph sees the response driven by their demographic fit and impact on our revenue streams?

The cynic in me say "of course we have" the human says, if true, what a frigged up material little planet of wannabes we've become.
I am not saying that the behaviour is typical...
Footy players would never exhibit that kind of behaviour at a club function (social or professional). In fact most players wouldn't say what was alleged in public. There are exceptions to the standard as there are in every walk of life.

I was trying to point out the SENSaintsational's comparison of Bieber wasn't a fair comparison. I don't know enough about the personal life of Justin Bieber to know if he is a genuinely friendly guy who loves everyone. But he would certainly be mindful of his image when meeting and greeting fans outside his hotel. One sniff of a bad attitude would seriously damage his career and risk isolating the very fans that put him where he is. It is the very reason why celebrities hire PR consultants...He maybe not be so mindful in private when having dinner at a restaurant or out at the movies or waiting for a plane.
The vast majority of AFL footballers don't need to look after their image like a pop star would but they need to be mindful of the team image when they are wearing the Saints gear. The Saints fans aren't going to jump off the club over the alleged actions of one or two players toward a person that is not even a supporter of the club.

Personally, I have never understood the cult of celebrity. I don't get the need for adults to want pictures taken with footballers, TV personalities, etc. As a kid...sure....why not. because these people appear larger than life...Leave them be, I say!

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Life Long Saint wrote:Personally, I have never understood the cult of celebrity. I don't get the need for adults to want pictures taken with footballers, TV personalities, etc. As a kid...sure....why not. because these people appear larger than life...Leave them be, I say!
With you on this LLS. I recently stayed at the same hotel as the team for the GOld COast game. Shared the lift with Milney, had a bite to eat next to the coaches before training on the Friday etc etc, and my interaction was limited to "hi how are you?" the same as I would with anyone with whom I have eye contact in a hotel lobby, elevator, etc. Not comfortable with invading someone else's private space for some sort of "trophy" moment, just don't get it.

Yet a good friend who is a succesful tradie with his own business and a mature attitude takes photo's of himself on his phone with every celeb he ever sees anywhere???? Beats me.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:Personally, I have never understood the cult of celebrity. I don't get the need for adults to want pictures taken with footballers, TV personalities, etc. As a kid...sure....why not. because these people appear larger than life...Leave them be, I say!
With you on this LLS. I recently stayed at the same hotel as the team for the GOld COast game. Shared the lift with Milney, had a bite to eat next to the coaches before training on the Friday etc etc, and my interaction was limited to "hi how are you?" the same as I would with anyone with whom I have eye contact in a hotel lobby, elevator, etc. Not comfortable with invading someone else's private space for some sort of "trophy" moment, just don't get it.

Yet a good friend who is a succesful tradie with his own business and a mature attitude takes photo's of himself on his phone with every celeb he ever sees anywhere???? Beats me.

I've never understood autographs to be honest especially if you are over the age of 20. Same with photos but then again the only saints stuff i have in my house is a crap Plugger jumper bought at an Ormond auction night. Not even his jumper unless he was as big as EJ Conners at one stage, a couple of pairs of Saints socks that i dont wash because you will only end up with one of them and a Saints T shirt. I cant remember having a photo taken with any Saints player in their footy gear.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'll fess up to a photo with S Milne. But it was actually his idea and the circumstances kinda led to a funny moment. And he's that kinda dude I guess. Otherwise I'm hearing you re celebrity. Would you interrupt Joe Public for a snap? Nup. They're just footballers.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

A mate of mine knows the guy who got in a fight with jeremy clarkson over taking his photo at a restaurant, I've met this guy a couple of times and he goes on about the whole thing like it was his great moment, still dismayed clarkson took such offence.... hilarious.

At least this chick asked, but seriously, if you're over 16 then have a decent look at yourself, and give people a bit of respect and privacy when they're going about their lives.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I'll fess up to a photo with S Milne. But it was actually his idea and the circumstances kinda led to a funny moment. And he's that kinda dude I guess. Otherwise I'm hearing you re celebrity. Would you interrupt Joe Public for a snap? Nup. They're just footballers.
Footballers in team uniforms are on work business, and hence are public property. That's not to say the public shouldn't be nice around them, but it's open season for autographs, if that floats your boat.

Remember, they get paid indirectly by the fans, the public!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Footballers in team uniforms are on work business, and hence are public property. That's not to say the public shouldn't be nice around them, but it's open season for autographs, if that floats your boat.

So, if they're at a team dinner then it's OK to go up to them and ask for an autograph or photo?

That is absolute garbage. Uniform or not, there is a time and place for everything. They are entitled to privacy and respect just like every one else in society.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Thinline wrote:I'll fess up to a photo with S Milne. But it was actually his idea and the circumstances kinda led to a funny moment. And he's that kinda dude I guess. Otherwise I'm hearing you re celebrity. Would you interrupt Joe Public for a snap? Nup. They're just footballers.
Footballers in team uniforms are on work business, and hence are public property. That's not to say the public shouldn't be nice around them, but it's open season for autographs, if that floats your boat.

Open slather then on anyone who is paid out of the public purse I guess.

Look out ATO officers. I'm after photos. Or NAB bank employees, you will be mine. My savings after all pay for you in some way. MBF lady - LOOK OUT!

What tripe. No one is anybody's property. Privacy is privacy.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

do ato officers have 30 thou people watching them live every week participating at a level that the people watching could only dream about???

no
so its obvious why sports is like it then isnt it

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:do ato officers have 30 thou people watching them live every week participating at a level that the people watching could only dream about???

no
What if I call the ATO Officer a Fat Cat?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hmmm
well if he was actually fat he'd prob go all nazi on your ass and throw you in the lock up
if he wasnt actually fat he'd prob smash you in the face with the fat end of his gun

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:do ato officers have 30 thou people watching them live every week participating at a level that the people watching could only dream about???

no
So your point, then, is that because we ogle them and sponsor them we therefore own them to enough of a degree to allow us to badger them.

Is that it?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no my point was not that at all thinline
where'd i say that?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:no my point was not that at all thinline
where'd i say that?
I was asking a question. I didn't understand your point so I trying to articulate what I thought it might be in my own words. :wink:

Austinnn
Club Player

Don't be naive - right or wrong, these players know (or should know) that that's the price on the ticket if you want to be an AFL star, or any star, these days.

I don't get the desire for the autograph/photo thing particularly with level headed adults either. I do know that there is a market for signed photographs and so on (that's even sadder) and some people regularly go up to celebs and guilt trip them into signing memorabilia, just to sell it later for a huge profit. Some really take the puss and get the stars to sign multiple items... horrible really but even though the stars know it's rubbish, they can't refuse cos the hunter will just say it's for the 10 disabled kids I look after or something.

Besides all that, assuming this overheard comment actually happened: it's not the most horrible thing a person could do, but its pretty disrespectful, low class and moronic, and should serve as a timely reminder that no matter how much we love these guys, they are pretty basic blokes in an unhealthily macho environment. The modernisation of the footy club is a work in process, many people would be sad to see the grand old traditions go, but the day the bubble bursts will be better for everyone except the dinosaurs.

I've said it before, anyone who sees this as a StKilda problem, rather than a footy club problem has rocks in their head.

Finally, it doesn't matter how old she is or whether she is a fan, disrespect is disrespect, and these guys should have been taught better. Now is as good a time as any.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Craw
Club Player

The player actually said the word Phat .... meaning " Pretty hot and tempting".

Take the complement Biatch and move on girlfreind... snap snap.

Not Craw, CRAW!