'Joey the key free agent'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

'Joey the key free agent'

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

TRAVIS CLOKE and Brendon Goddard continue to attract the speculation and the headlines, but it is Leigh Montagna who is emerging as the key player of interest as the AFL's first free agency period looms ever closer.

Cloke and Goddard are restricted free agents, so Collingwood and St Kilda have some say in what happens from here. Should they accept an offer to play elsewhere, the clubs can match the offer or negotiate some sort of 'win-win' trade.

But not Montagna. His standing as an uncontracted player come the end of the season means the Saints have waived the right to trade him. His rights as a free agent over-ride St Kilda's right to trade him.

The Saints remain confident they can keep all their required players in 2013. In addition to Goddard and Montagna, Jason Blake, Raphael Clarke, Lenny Hayes, Justin Koschitzke and Stephen Milne have yet to put pen to paper.

Earlier this year, Montagna was supremely confident of re-signing with the Saints. But you have to wonder, as the season drags on and the deal has not been done, whether rival clubs have come-a-calling. Will Montagna be a casualty of St Kilda's salary cap, which as it stands, is full to over-flowing?

Montagna has at least two more good seasons in him and still has enough midfield weapons to help a side about to enter the premiership window. At 28, Montagna won't likely relocate from Victoria, so North Melbourne shapes as the type of emerging side where he could add immediate value.

Players like Montagna appear to be the exception rather than the rule when it comes to free agency. Talk to list managers and player managers throughout football and the belief is growing that free agency isn't there to move stars between clubs but rather, as one official put it, "let blokes keep on playing footy".

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: 'Joey the key free agent'

If he goes , he goes !
He is a good player , but another in that group of players we have who hasn't had any improvement in their game in the last two years .

In red white and black from 73
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Is this the same Montagna who stated he wants to stay a saint for life only about a month ago?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

An AFL "news" article. What a joke....

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'd be very surprised if he left the club. He's one of the guys I could see playing for St Kilda for a lot less than he could get elsewhere. And I doubt we'd get adequate compensation for him. Not in the clubs best interest either (not that they have a say in it). I'm sure they'll be keen to keep him.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Ah AFL News.

The same outlet that managed to package up one of the seasons most thrilling footy moments - Karmichael Hunt's winning goal/Suns first win - and regurgitate it as a series of graphs illustrating the marketing potential of such a victory.

MUPPETS.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I'd be very surprised if he left the club. He's one of the guys I could see playing for St Kilda for a lot less than he could get elsewhere. And I doubt we'd get adequate compensation for him. Not in the clubs best interest either (not that they have a say in it). I'm sure they'll be keen to keep him.
We dont get any compensation for him. Zero. This is the first year of 'unrestricted free-agency'. That is what the article is saying. He can literally do whatever he wants.

So who knows.... He could certainly add some value at a lot of clubs for 2 years. If someone offers him double what we do - it might get interesting.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I WAS under the impression that the AFL is going to compensate clubs who lose players through free agency this year Am I wrong?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I'd be very surprised if he left the club. He's one of the guys I could see playing for St Kilda for a lot less than he could get elsewhere. And I doubt we'd get adequate compensation for him. Not in the clubs best interest either (not that they have a say in it). I'm sure they'll be keen to keep him.
We dont get any compensation for him. Zero. This is the first year of 'unrestricted free-agency'. That is what the article is saying. He can literally do whatever he wants.

So who knows.... He could certainly add some value at a lot of clubs for 2 years. If someone offers him double what we do - it might get interesting.

Con we would get compensation for him. Not sure where you got the idea we wouldnt.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Con we would get compensation for him. Not sure where you got the idea we wouldnt.
You sure? Noone has ever been an unrestricted free agent before... Its not the same rule as the uncontracted player rule (ablett/scully/ward) but something completely different.
I could well be wrong. But I dont believe u get anything if an UFA leaves? This is a whole brave new world in AFL-land...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Have a read of the free agent rules Con cos a few of your posts on free agency are way off.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Joey strikes me as one of the most loyal players at the club. I think it's likely that the club is waiting to see what happens with Lenny and Milne as if either of them chose to retire it would free up a fair bit of space (as well as getting a deal done with Goddard).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Joey strikes me as one of the most loyal players at the club. I think it's likely that the club is waiting to see what happens with Lenny and Milne as if either of them chose to retire it would free up a fair bit of space (as well as getting a deal done with Goddard).

That probably means waiting until after our last game though. Isnt that a bit late?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

An out and out pile of crap that the media has attempted to pass off as journalism, no doubt written by some knob who failed cuisenaire... :roll:

I used to like newspapers... :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
busso mick
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:An out and out pile of crap that the media has attempted to pass off as journalism, no doubt written by some knob who failed cuisenaire... :roll:

I used to like tractors, but now I'm an ex-tractor fan :wink:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

If the AFL were fair dinkum about classing players from the history then Joey would be compensated a lot higher than BJ, Dual AA, higher B&F finishes etc, however since Scully and Ward who have achieved nothing, both attracted 2 first round picks, it is clear that there is no formula, just purely whatever Andrew Demillionaire feels like at the time.

Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Joey strikes me as one of the most loyal players at the club. I think it's likely that the club is waiting to see what happens with Lenny and Milne as if either of them chose to retire it would free up a fair bit of space (as well as getting a deal done with Goddard).

That probably means waiting until after our last game though. Isnt that a bit late?
Could be, but different this year is that the trade period lasts 3 weeks not just a week as previously.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:
bobmurray wrote:An out and out pile of crap that the media has attempted to pass off as journalism, no doubt written by some knob who failed cuisenaire... :roll:

I used to like tractors, but now I'm an ex-tractor fan :wink:
A pro tractor.. i see the angle you are coming from :wink:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:If the AFL were fair dinkum about classing players from the history then Joey would be compensated a lot higher than BJ, Dual AA, higher B&F finishes etc, however since Scully and Ward who have achieved nothing, both attracted 2 first round picks, it is clear that there is no formula, just purely whatever Andrew Demillionaire feels like at the time.
The Dogs only get one for Ward, which right now would be pick 7. I don't think that's unfair. My understanding is that GWS/GC compensation formula was based largely on money and Melbourne only get Ablett compo for Scully because GWS somehow got in their head that Scully was worth Ablett money. Melbourne supporters should be thanking him for leaving. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I'm of the belief that if BJ signed with GWS, we would get Ablett/Scully compo. It would be likely to be a similar megadollar deal. BJ wouldn't leave for peanuts.

Free agency compensation will be far less. Compensation will be assessed at the end of trade week and will depend on how many players you've lost/signed. I've heard here that the top level of compensation is going to be mid first round, but I don't know that as a fact. I have no idea whether we could get multiple picks for multiple players leaving.

In the short ,term I'd prefer to see the Saints get max compo for anyone leaving. Over the long haul, I don't like compo as greater compo favours better teams and subverts the idea of the draft. IMO, in a salary capped league, the reward of a list spot and cap space is compensation enough for a free agent leaving. Getting a first rounder for a 28 year old is far too great a reward for bad cap management.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The dilemna of having to rebuild while hanging on to your overpaid stars.

My Solution...... players take a voluantary paycut in 2013...anywhere upwards of 10% for Rooy, Milney 20%, Gram 30%, etc. Any player who struggled to earn their keep or a player who feels like they underperformed in our finals campaigns in the past 5 years, they can volunteer to match Grams paycut.

Otherwise...Just efn live up to your salaries fellas

matrix
Saintsational Legend

mehh
if he went it wouldnt bother me tbh

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:The dilemna of having to rebuild while hanging on to your overpaid stars.

My Solution...... players take a voluantary paycut in 2013...anywhere upwards of 10% for Rooy, Milney 20%, Gram 30%, etc. Any player who struggled to earn their keep or a player who feels like they underperformed in our finals campaigns in the past 5 years, they can volunteer to match Grams paycut.

Otherwise...Just efn live up to your salaries fellas

Why would or should players take a pay cut? The club decided the wages so if there is an issue they need to sort it out. Also i love it when people say live up to your salaries. If you put then on a long term contract then bad luck if they struggle. Should we be giving more to Simpkin, Jack, Armo and probably others at the end of the year because they are probably playing much better than their contracts suggest.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
dragit wrote:If the AFL were fair dinkum about classing players from the history then Joey would be compensated a lot higher than BJ, Dual AA, higher B&F finishes etc, however since Scully and Ward who have achieved nothing, both attracted 2 first round picks, it is clear that there is no formula, just purely whatever Andrew Demillionaire feels like at the time.
The Dogs only get one for Ward, which right now would be pick 7. I don't think that's unfair. My understanding is that GWS/GC compensation formula was based largely on money and Melbourne only get Ablett compo for Scully because GWS somehow got in their head that Scully was worth Ablett money. Melbourne supporters should be thanking him for leaving. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I'm of the belief that if BJ signed with GWS, we would get Ablett/Scully compo. It would be likely to be a similar megadollar deal. BJ wouldn't leave for peanuts.

Free agency compensation will be far less. Compensation will be assessed at the end of trade week and will depend on how many players you've lost/signed. I've heard here that the top level of compensation is going to be mid first round, but I don't know that as a fact. I have no idea whether we could get multiple picks for multiple players leaving.

In the short ,term I'd prefer to see the Saints get max compo for anyone leaving. Over the long haul, I don't like compo as greater compo favours better teams and subverts the idea of the draft. IMO, in a salary capped league, the reward of a list spot and cap space is compensation enough for a free agent leaving. Getting a first rounder for a 28 year old is far too great a reward for bad cap management.
Makes sense regarding the money dictating the compensation I suppose, and not many 28+ will attract multi-million dollar deals unless they are the very best going around. I feel for the dogs who lost 2 of their most promising young players and now have to re-find stars in the draft which we all know can be very hit and miss.

What I find wrong with the free agency rules is that a club picking up a free agent does not have to give up anything in return. Which basically means that the compensation effects all of the unrelated other clubs.

Just say Geelong freed up millions by 'retiring' half their side, then were able to land Cloke, Goddard, Stanton, Pearce & Sewell (ridiculous scenario i know). You would assume that the AFL would give all of the clubs losing those players an early pick, so basically all of the other clubs lose 5 spots in the draft and the team buying all of the players loses nothing, doesn't seem right to me?

If we lose Goddard to say Freo, I don't think the other sides around us should lose a spot in the draft while Freo give up nothing. I reckon Carlton will absolutely abuse free agency once Judd retires.

If you want to add a superstar to your team, you should have to give up something, rather than all of the other clubs losing a place in the draft instead.

The term 'AFL-determined formula' is a very funny concept.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
vacuous space wrote:

Makes sense regarding the money dictating the compensation I suppose, and not many 28+ will attract multi-million dollar deals unless they are the very best going around. I feel for the dogs who lost 2 of their most promising young players and now have to re-find stars in the draft which we all know can be very hit and miss.

What I find wrong with the free agency rules is that a club picking up a free agent does not have to give up anything in return. Which basically means that the compensation effects all of the unrelated other clubs.

Just say Geelong freed up millions by 'retiring' half their side, then were able to land Cloke, Goddard, Stanton, Pearce & Sewell (ridiculous scenario i know). You would assume that the AFL would give all of the clubs losing those players an early pick, so basically all of the other clubs lose 5 spots in the draft and the team buying all of the players loses nothing, doesn't seem right to me?

If we lose Goddard to say Freo, I don't think the other sides around us should lose a spot in the draft while Freo give up nothing. I reckon Carlton will absolutely abuse free agency once Judd retires.

If you want to add a superstar to your team, you should have to give up something, rather than all of the other clubs losing a place in the draft instead.

The term 'AFL-determined formula' is a very funny concept.

Lucky to get any compensation IMO. I think most codes that have free agency give you nothing when a player leaves. I like the idea of the AFL detemining the compensation otherwise nothing would get done and the club lucky enough to get someone shouldnt be penalised. Lets face it any club can try to get anyone if you have money in your cap. Anyway i doubt many stars will leave. More likely a Jimmy Gwilt type.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lucky to get any compensation IMO. I think most codes that have free agency give you nothing when a player leaves. I like the idea of the AFL detemining the compensation otherwise nothing would get done and the club lucky enough to get someone shouldnt be penalised. Lets face it any club can try to get anyone if you have money in your cap. Anyway i doubt many stars will leave. More likely a Jimmy Gwilt type.
I think the club buying a star should have to be part of the compensation, If the Chris Judd scenario was coming up now, then Carlton would just buy him without giving up a single pick or player. West Coast would get one mid-range pick at the expense of all the other clubs instead of Carlton handing over Josh Kennedy and picks # 2 & 20, which was a good deal for both.
I don't particularly want to see Carlton add Nathan Fyfe to their side in a couple of years and give up nothing in return.