Serious changes needed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Serious changes needed

I'm all for Watters sticking by players and giving them extended runs to find form, but he needs to stop gifting games to underperforming players.

Gwilt set up half of Sydney's goals today and needs to regain touch in the VFL. Jones continually turns it over whenever the slightest bit of pressure is put on him and Gram continues to cost the team with his soft efforts. Ray is a much better run-with option than Jones and anyone who is willing to attack a contest is a better option than Gram.

Ray had been trying his guts out and playing good footy, it was a terrible message to the team to drop him. Goddard needs to pull his finger out, Kosi has kept his spot for the past few weeks because he can ruck, but his recent performances have been no better than throwing Gilbert/Simpkin in the ruck. He has been shown an incredible amount of leniency compared to Wilkes, who is a much better wrestler in contested situations.

The entire team needs to be told to lower their vision and try to pick out a f****** target rather than bombing it to a stationary Kosi with three defenders on him.

I want to see the selection panel show some balls and actually punish those who aren't performing.

OUT: Gwilt, Gram, Jones, Kosi
IN: Ray, Ledger, Milera, Wilkes

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Serious changes needed

Gwilt was very good as a key back however his kicking efficiency is what let him down. He had the better of Reid however turned it over far too often. Jones was one of our best. He gave Jetta an absolute bath.

Agree with Kosi he needs to make way when Stanley is available IMO. He's better than Wilkes tho. Gram is a funny one. I'd like to know who he played on. He didn't seem to do much wrong however not much right either.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

wilkes is a great in, let him play gwilts role ya?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Come on guys... I am the first to bag Gram and Raph, but these 2 had a go and didn't shirk their duty. Raph helped Dempster get a mark by holding his opponent at one point. The boys gave it everything but it just wasn't our day. Gotta be realistic, they tried, but just not our day.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Another out would also have to be Saad. Just doesn't do enough week in week out.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Wilkes is not AFL standard. A few goals against Melbourne doesn't make him the next Plugger. It's too late in the season to make wholesale changes... next year will be interesting, probably very disappointing. If this year is the last roll of the dice, then next year is going to see the introduction of a lot of new players.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
savatage
SS Life Member

Raph was in the VFL yesterday?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Come on guys... I am the first to bag Gram and Raph, but these 2 had a go and didn't shirk their duty. Raph helped Dempster get a mark by holding his opponent at one point. The boys gave it everything but it just wasn't our day. Gotta be realistic, they tried, but just not our day.
WTF

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint do you mean Gwilt?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Gwilt was very good as a key back however his kicking efficiency is what let him down. He had the better of Reid however turned it over far too often. Jones was one of our best. He gave Jetta an absolute bath.

Agree with Kosi he needs to make way when Stanley is available IMO. He's better than Wilkes tho. Gram is a funny one. I'd like to know who he played on. He didn't seem to do much wrong however not much right either.
Gwilt was ok defensively but it was a very tough game for key forwards, very few one on ones and plenty of defensive numbers for both sides. However Gwilt's atrocious kicking cost us badly.

Just from the broadcast it looked like Gram spent time on Bolton and McVeigh. I just can't believe we're carrying a guy who is poor defensively and can't hit a target on the rebound.

Wilkes has either been very impressive or very ordinary. I think he deserves a few consecutive games as a FF to find out what he can do. At the very least he'll provide an option and make a contest, which Kosi has failed to do numerous times over the past couple of weeks.

paddy
Club Player

thought Gwilt was considerably better this week...

he is starting to get his touch back...

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

paddy wrote:thought Gwilt was considerably better this week...

he is starting to get his touch back...
+1

Of the four mentioned Kosi and Gram should be in the gun first.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Griggsy
SS Life Member

So are we punishing players for poor play or rewarding players who deserve it? I'd rather the latter.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:So are we punishing players for poor play or rewarding players who deserve it? I'd rather the latter.
+1

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dropping Jones is embarrassing. He took on one of the top players in the comp and severely limited his impact. I didn't notice anything particularly soft from Gram either. We had plenty of problems from kickouts and rebounding in general - not just Gwilt. Wilkes isn't any better than Kosi either.

I wouldn't expect many changes.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Everything looked out of sync today. Midfield was totally smashed in the 2nd quarter, our worst for the year. Kosi is a major worry with his total lack of leg speed and pathetic efforts at ground level. Riewoldt played injured and copped more injury during the game. Apparently there was some guy running around wearing number 18, but I don't know who he was.

But really, who can you bring in at this stage?

The only options are Ray, Clarke, Ledger, Milera, Cripps, and Wilkes. None of those players will make a significant difference at this stage of the season, although Ray was stiff to be dropped.

So really, I can't see more than a couple of changes. I doubt that Goddard will be dropped, even though he probably deserves to be. We're pretty much stuck with what we've got for the rest of the year.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Softish game v the Dogs, I'd like to see Markworth given a chance. I know he is very skinny but as a sub he could have an impact and we need a steady flow of kids to come through. Most of the other options are stop-gap solutions. Ray for Geary or Gram perhaps. Milera for Saad? Wilkes for Kosi? I don't think there should be too many following a pretty gutsy effort.

St Lenny
Club Player

Raph didnt play! Wilkes should never get another game. Ray should not have been dropped. And Dunell should not have played, to big a game for him. Saad and Steven were shocking.

kalsaint
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:I'm all for Watters sticking by players and giving them extended runs to find form, but he needs to stop gifting games to underperforming players.

Gwilt set up half of Sydney's goals today and needs to regain touch in the VFL. Jones continually turns it over whenever the slightest bit of pressure is put on him and Gram continues to cost the team with his soft efforts. Ray is a much better run-with option than Jones and anyone who is willing to attack a contest is a better option than Gram.

Ray had been trying his guts out and playing good footy, it was a terrible message to the team to drop him. Goddard needs to pull his finger out, Kosi has kept his spot for the past few weeks because he can ruck, but his recent performances have been no better than throwing Gilbert/Simpkin in the ruck. He has been shown an incredible amount of leniency compared to Wilkes, who is a much better wrestler in contested situations.

The entire team needs to be told to lower their vision and try to pick out a f****** target rather than bombing it to a stationary Kosi with three defenders on him.

I want to see the selection panel show some balls and actually punish those who aren't performing.

OUT: Gwilt, Gram, Jones, Kosi
IN: Ray, Ledger, Milera, Wilkes

Lot of rubbish above here but some pertinent comment on lowering vision of players with a static Kosi being covered by opposition is a fair point and Goodard's performance.

Gwilt took a dangerous key forward today and had the better of him. Jones was a huge winner; first against Jetta then later against Kennedy. This latter helped turn around the midfield dominance of the Swans in the second half (with Mumfields absence). CJ was one of the better players today. Kosi has been good in certain games but does need some consistency but the delivery needs to be better too.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
bergsone
SS Life Member

First change should be

in Ray

out Gram

I know he is a love child of some on here,but really enough is enough

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

In the Assistant Coaching ranks....!

Laidley was a very poor choice by Watters IMO? He and Wool have never played midfield yet they are our mid coaches ? Laidley has been sacked in every position he has ever held !
Kingsley has never played forward yet he is our forward line coach ...?
Who is our back line coach a guy who was the youth manager under Lyon - again never played the game ?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
nw7
Club Player

Very disappointing that Farren Ray got dropped, he has played well since he came back in and his effort has been first class. The two big issues were getting smashed in the centre and no marking targets in the forward 50, Roo looks injured and Kosi just isn’t very good at the moment, even when they didn’t mark the ball they were out marked. Stanley will be a great inclusion in a few weeks and we must do something to get a good ruckman. Carlton, Freo and the Kangaroos have good ruckman that don’t play regularly; we need to trade for one.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We are playing deadset spuds next week.

Footscray couldnt beat the Carlton Bullants last night.

Lucky we have an easy game because many of our boys looked cooked.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Q. How does Scott WATTERS go from a positive bouncy individual - to someone who looks like his world his caving in?
A. Add Dean LAIDLEY as his main mentor and assistant.

Q. Why does Matt PRIMUS look like he is enjoying coaching/football again?
A. Get rid of the most miserable person in AFL - Dean LAIDLEY !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Q. How does Scott WATTERS go from a positive bouncy individual - to someone who looks like his world his caving in?
A. Add Dean LAIDLEY as his main mentor and assistant.

Q. Why does Matt PRIMUS look like he is enjoying coaching/football again?
A. Get rid of the most miserable person in AFL - Dean LAIDLEY !

Good call. You would know for sure.