Contracts talks are open with BJ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Contracts talks are open with BJ...

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:As suspected they are wrong.
You're thinking of Marlin fishing in tiny shorts and thongs again aren't you Cairnsman? It's all very confusing isn't it?
My source was the HS. Are the stats that MCG-Unit put up correct?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Either those stats are wrong or the definition of a contested possession should be in dispute.
I can't find any stats for contested definitions....

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:
You're thinking of Marlin fishing in tiny shorts and thongs again aren't you Cairnsman? It's all very confusing isn't it?
Season stats… 329 disposals… 111 contested, pretty good ratio considering his role is to 'receive' a lot of the time…

felix
Club Player

Goddard that old chestnut ain't signing to the fat chick clause goes into the contract.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The club was, is, and will be ALWAYS bigger than any individual. I hope BJ stays a Saint, but if he doesn't so be it!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Goddard that old chestnut ain't signing to the fat chick clause goes into the contract.
Well if after almost 10 seasons and almost 200 games BJ is not recognisable in a crowd, he can't be worth that much :P

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:I've thought all along that he'll stay but gee the manner in which he played Sunday's game was like a bloke who didn't want to be there.

I'm really 50/50 on whether he'll stay.
Same here...Really didn't look like he was interested and considering he was out for 2 weeks for something stupid I thought he may have wanted to make things up with the boys for letting them down.
Stacks of reasons why he could be sad though.

I just don't buy the contracts can 'weigh you down' personally.

Form slumps sometimes are just that, form slumps.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Ha ha you're right onto him, I generally don't read/respond to his posts - haven't opened threads he starts for 1-2 years
(stats are Champion Data H-Sun)
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 24 Jul 2012 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:But seriously probably the RL departure is the most recent example of how negotiations breakdown. It's very common for each side of the table to take a much different stance on how much they value the product/service.
They only just started talks, fair bit to play out yet...

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote: You're thinking of Marlin fishing in tiny shorts and thongs again aren't you Cairnsman? It's all very confusing isn't it?
Season stats… 329 disposals… 111 contested, pretty good ratio considering his role is to 'receive' a lot of the time…

Thanks, very good ratio. I hadn't gone thru the whole season - just a sample few - no need, the pattern is roughly the same, from stats and watching.....
Also quite correct, it's the role he's asked to play.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Thanks, very good ratio. I hadn't gone thru the whole season - just a sample few - no need, the pattern is roughly the same, from stats and watching.....

There is no doubt the guy can play and anyone thinking otherwise hasnt got much of a clue about the game. The question is will he get back to his best as it is nearly 2 years now since he was at his best and what is he worth to us. Not the open market. that doesnt matter.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Goddard that old chestnut ain't signing to the fat chick clause goes into the contract.
gold :)
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 24 Jul 2012 6:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:There is no doubt the guy can play and anyone thinking otherwise hasnt got much of a clue about the game. The question is will he get back to his best as it is nearly 2 years now since he was at his best and what is he worth to us. Not the open market. that doesnt matter.
With most of our 'stars' due to retire in the next year or two you would think that we will have plenty of cap room to pay BJ well enough, I imagine there will have to be back-ending involved while Hayes, Roo, Dal, Joey, Kosi, Gram, Milne, Fisher etc are still around. BJ will be a veteran in 2 years too which will help, we will barely have any at that stage…

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
dragit wrote:Season stats… 329 disposals… 111 contested, pretty good ratio considering his role is to 'receive' a lot of the time…

There is no doubt the guy can play and anyone thinking otherwise hasnt got much of a clue about the game. The question is will he get back to his best as it is nearly 2 years now since he was at his best and what is he worth to us. Not the open market. that doesnt matter.
He's not at his best, but I reckon his numbers/form are still a walk-up start esp for a mid table 7-10 team. I don't think they'll pay anyone over market value - may not be able to. Maybe they were close to the salary cap limit this year. Yes only what the club believe he is worth.

Also if 2 or 3 have good seasons and expect pay rises, plus Watters on about finding a ruck and KP, there will not be much left over.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 24 Jul 2012 6:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:There is no doubt the guy can play and anyone thinking otherwise hasnt got much of a clue about the game. The question is will he get back to his best as it is nearly 2 years now since he was at his best and what is he worth to us. Not the open market. that doesnt matter.
With most of our 'stars' due to retire in the next year or two you would think that we will have plenty of cap room to pay BJ well enough, I imagine there will have to be back-ending involved while Hayes, Roo, Dal, Joey, Kosi, Gram, Milne, Fisher etc are still around. BJ will be a veteran in 2 years too which will help, we will barely have any at that stage…

You only gain 100k on the veterans list. i hope they dont backend. It stuffs you up. Brisbane couldnt get any good players when they dropped down because they backended contracts. Just pay him the same every year. 500k to me seems all he is worth and then some.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:You only gain 100k on the veterans list. i hope they dont backend. It stuffs you up. Brisbane couldnt get any good players when they dropped down because they backended contracts. Just pay him the same every year. 500k to me seems all he is worth and then some.
Sounds like you can choose the old or new veterans rules at the moment… not sure about the future… but if we can keep using the old rules, then we may as well utilize it to keep a good player.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Only problem with all these people posting supposedly great contested stats is that the coach has admitted Goddard is struggling to find his own ball from years playing loose in defense.... but what would he know right??

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Negotiations are continuing to secure a three-year deal at $550,00-$630,000 a season. Goddard, 27, would secure top dollar depending on incentives in his contract.
That's a lot of money to pay a half back flanker. A full forward might be worth that much though. :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The all-Australian utility today repeated that he was in "no doubt" about staying at St Kilda. "As I've said all along, we've been in constant talks with the footy club, and they're the discussions we're having at the minute," he said. "I think it's pretty clear, my intentions.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/g ... z21WuruFEh

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Only problem with all these people posting supposedly great contested stats is that the coach has admitted Goddard is struggling to find his own ball from years playing loose in defense.... but what would he know right??
The reason that they are supposedly great contested stats is because the poster that posted them in this thread has posted fudged stats and not just slightly fudged.

From my reading of the stats on the HS website, Goddard has 6 CPs against Sydney and not 11. There are other errors made in the same post but I didn't bother posting them all, same pattern really. Pfft!

And yes, everyone including the coach is saying he is struggling but hey, as they say in the classics don't let the facts (or incorrect stats in this case) get in the way of a good story.

I, like most supporters want BJ playing like he used to play circa 2009/2010, and/or stay at the club for a salary commensurate with his current output. More and more are agreeing that he is not worth 5s and 6s based on current output. Pure observation, not hate, not anything other than club before individual.

And BTW, we are currently 2nd in the comp for contested possessions yet we are 10th on the ladder and looking very vulnerable. Unless our senior players can carry the team for the rest of the season it is possible we could drop off dramatically as the younger players - that have really stepped up this season - start to tire as the season gets longer.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hate to say it but I really gotta agree with plugger here...

to earn $600k you need to be one of the truely elite players in the AFL and whilst I like Brendan he's nowhere near the Abletts, Pendlebury, Swan etc Heck he's not up there with the Hayes and Dals either

I reckon he's worth $450 tops

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Purely speculative.

Nobody would have a clue, what the potential performance measures are, or if they have even got to the point of a fiscal offer.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Purely speculative.

Nobody would have a clue, what the potential performance measures are, or if they have even got to the point of a fiscal offer.

Surely for a team sport finals wins and premierships would be one of the KPIs negotiated into individual contracts as the terms and conditions for bonuses and incentives, surely.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:Purely speculative.

Surely for a team sport finals wins and premierships would be one of the KPIs negotiated into individual contracts as the terms and conditions for bonuses and incentives, surely.

I doubt that very much. There would be to many guys getting incentives.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

"I'm happy where i am"

...actions speak louder than words mate, show us.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."