St Kilda embraces mental health

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda embraces mental health

Have to say, I like the effort he is putting into improving the guys as people....applaud this move. :!:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6435179155

Dempster, 28, admitted the side hadn't always been so willing to share.

"In the past we probably haven't been that good at being a whole group and everyone being confident to talk as a group," he said.

"It's come to a point where seniority doesn't matter any more. You need the younger blokes to be able to come out and tell you how they're feeling for the club to grow."

At last week's session, the players agreed that approaching a teammate could be awkward.

Captain Nick Riewoldt pondered the results-driven nature of the AFL - how if you can't fix something, you think you can't really help.

Nick Dal Santo said with such a strong team focus, individuals could sometimes be overlooked.

Dempster said the players were learning.

"It's a great program because blokes don't talk about it, you don't talk about your feelings, about mental health and stuff like that," he said.

"We do spend a lot of time together, so to be able to first notice the changes in someone and learn the skills how to handle that is pretty beneficial.

"You can see subtle signs if you look hard enough and do show that genuine care.

"I suppose that's what the program's about, being able to see those subtle changes and having the confidence to be able to go up to them and genuinely ask, 'How you feeling? How you going?', and help them out."

Dempster said it took courage.

"Sometimes it can be a bit confronting ... because you know that it's going to be hard for someone to come up to you, you don't want to do it to someone else and make them feel uncomfortable," he said.

"Hopefully this program enables us to individually be able to come out and say, 'Maybe I do have a problem', and also be able to see that someone else is struggling and be able to help them out."

The players talk about the effect of being dropped from the senior team.

Dempster spoke from experience when he said it was a lonely place.

"You feel like you've been left behind a little bit. So to be able to go up to a player post being dropped and see how they're going can make a massive difference," he said.

"I've been dropped plenty of times. For a player to come up to me and ask how I'm feeling, not just a 'how you going?', legitimate care in how you're going, is a massive help to moving on."

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda embraces mental health

Lyon probably caused a lot of mental health issues in some of our players by using the bubble strategy unfortunately.

I hope on reflection he regrets his actions.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Lyon probably caused a lot of mental health issues in some of our players by using the bubble strategy unfortunately.

I'm not sure regret is in his nature

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:Lyon probably caused a lot of mental health issues in some of our players by using the bubble strategy unfortunately.

That is complete rubbish. The 'bubble' was to everyone on the outside.

The article and the program gives specific reference to the players being more open with each other.

If your mental health is in good shape then you will feel better and probably play better football.

Good work I say.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It's nice the clubs starting to embrace mental health....... But what about the mental health of their supporters?

This clubs single handedly done my head in to the point now where I read posts from Plugger66 and converse with the likes of SaintPav!! (hardly healthy for anyone's brain cells!)

If the club wants to check supporter mental health..... I suggest they log in here round the midnight shift where the real loons come out...

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:It's nice the clubs starting to embrace mental health....... But what about the mental health of their supporters?

This clubs single handedly done my head in to the point now where I read posts from Plugger66 and converse with the likes of SaintPav!! (hardly healthy for anyone's brain cells!)

If the club wants to check supporter mental health..... I suggest they log in here round the midnight shift where the real loons come out...

"G'day Teffers old buddy, old mate"

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

And...Hawthorn embraces "Anger Management" week.
Carlton embraces a bucket of KFC chicken wings.
Richmond throws their arms around any fans who haven't burnt their memberships.
Andy Demetriou embraces Eddie Maguire...
Paul Roos embraces his statue at the SCG (until someone threw a bucket of cold water over them and said "Get a room FFS !)
and on it goes...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Pffftt,

Mental health is over-rated. I get along just fine and I've never had mental health........................neither has he.........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
markp
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:And...Hawthorn embraces "Anger Management" week.
Carlton embraces a bucket of KFC chicken wings.
Richmond throws their arms around any fans who haven't burnt their memberships.
Andy Demetriou embraces Eddie Maguire...
Paul Roos embraces his statue at the SCG (until someone threw a bucket of cold water over them and said "Get a room FFS !)
and on it goes...
It's all about embracing the journey.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Typical !
the club has had more than its fair share of people who need some form of help .
They should have started 10 years ago , then maybe none of us would have any issues !

In red white and black from 73
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Teflon wrote:It's nice the clubs starting to embrace mental health....... But what about the mental health of their supporters?

Strange but I feel I know that person..

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I think it is a great idea but I do think a special annexe should be created for us supporters, God knows there have been times......

Just after the 2009 Grand Final loss, our department held a "Beyond Blue in the Workplace" session and at one stage I looked around the room and out of about 20 particpants, I counted at least 14 other Saints supporters.

And on pointing this fact out to the group, they all did the denial thing about how much the loss had may have affected them and how to recognise "beyond blue" symptoms amongst workmates.

"Hi, I'm (insert name here) and I barrack for the Saints.................

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

You see him every morning when you brush your tooth.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Image

that was my thought to ;;;;;;;

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

That's really great to hear, very proud of the club when I read that

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Doing there bit for young females body image too.... Confidence building stuff....

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Doing there bit for young females body image too.... Confidence building stuff....
"THEIR" while we are correcting other's spelling! :oops:

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Doing there bit for young females body image too.... Confidence building stuff....
So you have proof that one of our blokes made the comment?

Strangely the "victim" doesn't appear to have any.