Are we flat track bullies?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Are we flat track bullies?

Our only win against a genuine contender this year was against Sydney.

We smash mediocre and ordinary teams at home but out of our comfort zone we are vulnerable and lack mental strength.

There is an opportunity to make a statement against Collingwood this week, but realistically we probably won't make the finals.

Opinions?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we flat track bullies?

You are spot on.

Will be difficult against the Pies. They also had a training run against GWS.

At least the 6 day break won't effect us much this coming week due to
Footscray's softness.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Our only win against a genuine contender this year was against Sydney.

We smash mediocre and ordinary teams at home but out of our comfort zone we are vulnerable and lack mental strength.

There is an opportunity to make a statement against Collingwood this week, but realistically we probably won't make the finals.

Opinions?
just suggests we are middle of the road......and we are.

saint4life
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Had same thought

Unless we beat Pies/Cats we are just that: flat track bullies

Reality is if we can't beat them we are making up numbers

That said, we've been "in" games against quality interstate (Crows/Swans particularly) so we aren't that far off IMO

This weeks game has no travel factor , sure it's at G where some question our ability to play good footy but that's no excuse- finals are played there.

Win this and finals are certainty for us IMO - we don't want to be relying on other sides to win/ lose so... time to lose flat track bully tag...under Lyon we won anywhere..

“Yeah….nah””
matrix
Saintsational Legend

expected nothing more this year.
hawks are lightning years ahead of us
will be a while till we reach that level
and with some of the players we have it may be difficult

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Hard to call a side that hasn't lost by more than 35 points all year "flat track bullies". We've been competitive in every match. Even Collingwood, Hawthorn and West Coast can't say that.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Hard to call a side that hasn't lost by more than 35 points all year "flat track bullies". We've been competitive in every match. Even Collingwood, Hawthorn and West Coast can't say that.

It's true that we have been consistently competitive but the losses still go down as losses, there's no denying that.

Maybe it's the mental scarring of twice going so close to the summit but falling short.

Subconsciously the players and many supporters seem to have accepted the popular perception that the window is closed.

Not Lenny btw, but others, seem fragile under pressure
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 30 Jul 2012 11:49am, edited 3 times in total.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Collingwood will test the theory. They have not been in great form (forget GWS) and are vulnerable. We need a catch-up game and must beat 2 of either the Pies, Geelong or Carlton to make the eight - assume wins against Melb & GWS.

It's important to maintain winning momentum, so beating the Pies this week is a must and the boys will set themselves for a big effort. It will show us where we are really at. My view at the start of the year was that 8th would be a reasonable result, but with some good new blood, we could well win a final. :) :)

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Bummers and Scum were in good form when we smashed them. IMHO, I don't rate Shitney that highly; I lump them with crows and egirls as 'let's see how they go in finals'.

But sheer logistics point to one of them making the GF, especially if all three make the top four.

I'll state it now for posterity - neither SHitney, crows or toast will win the flag

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

For the Saints to make the eight we will have to win games away from Etihad (something we haven't been very good at this year) and we will have to win more than two in a row (something we haven't done this year).

We can only afford to lose one more game for the year. I don't love our chances.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

We can make the eight by only winning 3 more games with our great percentage if Essendon only win one more game and Freo lose to WCE in perth and then Adelaide in Adelaide all highly probable! We would then take Essendon's place in the eight. 4 of the next 5 however gaurantees it. We needs Essendon to keep free falling!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
jays
Club Player

yes we are

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Im afraid so - the real sealer will be this weeks game against the PIES! We are playing very ordinary non inspired football and have to be the least skilled side in the competition. I know WATTERS is a first year coach and wants to make the finals to keep the sponsors and members happy, but realistically we are kidding ourselves with the belief we will trouble any of the top 8 side come finals.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No.

As Beno said, unlucky to lose a couple of matches against the comps best.

I always envisaged flat track bullies are the ones that hand out thrashings by poor teams, while getting thrashed by good teams themselves?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No.

As Beno said, unlucky to lose a couple of matches against the comps best.

I always envisaged flat track bullies are the ones that hand out thrashings by poor teams, while getting thrashed by good teams themselves?
Margin of loss is irrelevant - facts are we lost

Let's not go back to accepting "good efforts" ffs

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Let's?

Newsflash. I think for me...so back off.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I want the boys to prove that we are not! Surely, they/we have something to prove against this team and show the spirit to roll them over, especially when they are not exactly flying high themselves, with some internal bickering about Cloke.
The Pies have less motivation to win as they will be top four anyway - we should be more driven to take it up to them - so we "get one back" and get into the eight. I just wish I felt confident about it.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well we simply have to win one of either Cats or Pies to make the 8. So it is in our hands. Fair to say if we cant beat either Cats or Pies than we have been flat track bullies in 2012. The verdict will be delivered in the next month.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Im afraid so - the real sealer will be this weeks game against the PIES! We are playing very ordinary non inspired football and have to be the least skilled side in the competition. I know WATTERS is a first year coach and wants to make the finals to keep the sponsors and members happy, but realistically we are kidding ourselves with the belief we will trouble any of the top 8 side come finals.
You're kidding right? We were within 4 points of Sydney in Sydney with 5 minutes to go, we have not been belted by anyone. To say we are the least skilled side in the comp is just plain stupid. With the exception of Hawthorn, I don't fear any other side in the competition.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

No one ever seems to questions Cats form away from Kardinia or the Eagles away from Subie. Why is it unusual for us to be less effective away form our own home ground?

Must beat Pies.

This, frankly, is it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

At this point in time yes. Lets lose the tag over the next three weeks.

philtee
Club Player

Sort of. I was thinking we should have put the Bulldogs away much sooner.
Never really looked like an efficient high-scoring team, able to step up another
gear when it counts.
Playing well in patches against the big boys - WCE, Sydney - but a little
grit, polish and "smarts" still lacking.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Im afraid so - the real sealer will be this weeks game against the PIES! We are playing very ordinary non inspired football and have to be the least skilled side in the competition. I know WATTERS is a first year coach and wants to make the finals to keep the sponsors and members happy, but realistically we are kidding ourselves with the belief we will trouble any of the top 8 side come finals.

What are you smoking. We played the WB yesterday and compared to them we look like the best skilled side in the history of footy and we are not playing very ordinary non inspired footy. After reading your posts lately I gather you are less than 20 years of age and have never followed us when we have been really poor.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Our field skills were very good yesterday, 76% efficiency I believe. Our goal kicking however.....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Let's?

Newsflash. I think for me...so back off.
?

“Yeah….nah””